What's new

20/40 MHz coexistence

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I was just thinking... I'm using about 220Mhz of spectrum across two bands - and getting a collective 4758 Mbps of bandwidth..

Gotta love MIMO ;)

Sadly they make it quite difficult to use a good enough amount of spectrum.

dQQdX87.jpg

(currently the best I can do)

A router company should try making something that would use every channel available on the 2.4GHz band, as well as every channel on the 5GHz band at the same time, and then develop a way to do WiFi teaming so that a single client can use both bands at the same time.

A router company should try making something that would use every channel available on the 2.4GHz band, as well as every channel on the 5GHz band at the same time, and then develop a way to do WiFi teaming so that a single client can use both bands at the same time.

That is an inane wish. It would work for one individual in any immediate environment, until... someone else fires up their wifi router too (with or without those capabilities).

Sadly they make it quite difficult to use a good enough amount of spectrum.

dQQdX87.jpg

(currently the best I can do)

I'm only using 20MHz down in 2.4 - the rest is up high in 5GHz, 11n (4 streams) in 48, and two 80MHz channels, one on 108, and the other on 136... gotta love DFS...

All consumer routers I've seen DO enable all legal channels for the regulatory domain in which the router was sold. In 2.4GHz, it's mainly the upper channel numbers are permitted in, e.g., the EU but not in the US. In 5.4/5.8GHz, the regulations vary widely around the world, for channels to use, which require DFS/TPC, etc.

You should be glad that the cellular operators haven't lobbied (US) congress to take away 5GHz from ISM and use it for licensed only. Consider what happened with 2.7GHz, 1.7 and 1.9GHz.