What's new

3.0.0.4.374.5656 fixes 3G Dongles Huawei ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

I have brought a Huawei E3276s-150 and Asus AC668U router. I use this as my primary WAN (Telenor) as there sadly is no other means of getting Internet where I live. Anyway, I've had quite bad 4g reception in my area despite that I only live a few km from the city, so I brought an external antenna in order to improve the 4g signal strength. While configuring the antenna I connected the Huawei E3276s-150 stick directly to my computer and got about 100Mbps down and 30Mbps down.

The problem is that once I connect the stick to my Asus router it's stuck on 15Mbps down and 5Mbps up. It seems to me that it's only operating in 3g or so. After reading the previous posts here it seems to be somewhat of a known issue.... Do you guys have any idea on which FW I should use? Is there another good fix for this? I've tried the latest official FW from Asus, Merlin and DD-wrt and all perform about the same (similar to 3g speeds). Would love a solution that would provide me with the same speed as if I connect the modem directly to my computer.

I haven't tried the script posted here yet, but I'm a bit afraid that only works if the router is bootet and doesn't apply in case the modem drops the connection and reconnects or so..
If anyone cares to give me an advice on firmware version (I would prefer the latest as possible due to fixed vulnerabilities) or custom configuration I would highly appreciate any help! :)

I have read this whole topic countless times but I still can't get my HUAWEI E3276s-150 (not HiLink) working on my AC68U with the latest firmware versions (378.56_2). If, however, I use an old version (374.42_2), I can get it working with:

Code:
echo -e "AT^NDISDUP=1,1,\"internet.vodafone.pt\"\r" > /dev/ttyUSB0
udhcpc -i usb0 -p /var/run/udhcpc1.pid -s /tmp/udhcpc

But I really wanted to use the latest firnware version. Has anyone on this topic/forum solved this issue? I mean, a similar USB dongle working on the latest firmware version?

One difference I notice between both versions is that in the one that's working I get a single USB device (/dev/ttyUSB0), while on the one that it's not working I get two USB devices (/dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1). Not sure how relevant is this.

my E3372s Hilink work very vell with my AC87.

You must take usb Tethering and the stick works.
440 hours without interruption

upload_2015-12-2_12-4-34.png

Flash a hilink Version for testing.

I have also problems with non Hilink version.
My Huawei e398 was not good working. Only with a script

I have an AC56U.

Also have problema with Huawei E392 and Huawei E3276-s (no hilink).

Can someone help with this?

4G dongle is my only choice to have internet!

Already tried latest versions of oficial ASUS fw and Asus-Merlin.

Hope someone can help!!

Regards.

my E3372s Hilink work very vell with my AC87.

You must take usb Tethering and the stick works.
440 hours without interruption

View attachment 4945
-----------------------
Hi vaszago, it's very good to know that you made your E3372 to work together with Asus router.

If possible, please post your system details like Huawei dongle (modem) details (is it E3372h-150? , unmodified? ),
and tested Asus (Merlin) FW versions, where you really have stable connection (without https issues, issues with Google services a.s.o.)

Thanks!
AndresVR

Last edited:
I have an AC56U.

Also have problema with Huawei E392 and Huawei E3276-s (no hilink).

Can someone help with this?

4G dongle is my only choice to have internet!

Already tried latest versions of oficial ASUS fw and Asus-Merlin.

Hope someone can help!!

Regards.

Hi, Hasafly. I share the same router (AC56) and pen (e392), and the same problem. Some earlier firmware might resolve. I'm in the process of trial and error testing. As soon as I learn from some kind of definitive experience, I will share. Meanwhile, I ask you to do the same. Regards

Greetings.

To Hasafly and other members with constant Internet dropping in netwoking an AC56 and a Huawei e392 pen router, while I'm not a techie, and in so being more confident on a conservative approach, I've simply tested various firmware, as is, and have found that, up to date, the most stable and recent, for the above referrenced equipment networking, is FW_RT_AC56U_30043763754.trx

Alternatively, I have tried, several days, with:
RT-AC56U_380.57_0.trx (latest Merlin)
RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_378_9529-gb10e4e6.trx (latest Asus)
RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_378_9459-g7ddc2c6.trx
RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_378_9383-gc6c2b9d.trx
RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_378_9313-g53ab20f.trx

Concerning modem setings, I ultimately found that Auto discovery of the pen modem worked best, paired with manual setting of the ISP APN.

The system log of unstable connections, under all other firmware besides 376.3754 typically rendered «WAN Connection: Fail to connect with some issues» and/or «WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly».

I use a USB 3.0 simple mini-hub (unpowered and with just 4 ports), attached to the router's USB 3.0 port, and, by the way, with no trouble / noise operating on 5Ghz. Haven't tried without the hub, since at least 376.3754 works fine.

I'll appreciate alternative information of suggestions / experiences, including possible explanations for the unstability (that is constant internet dropping) under all more recent firmware. Actually, with RT-AC56U_3.0.0.4_378_9529-gb10e4e6.trx, Asus latest, the e392 pen modem simply doesn't work for me.

Has anyone tested with the 380.57 or later versions of Asuswrt-Merlin for AC68 and a 3276s stick as the primary (and only) WAN connection?

I am about to take an AC68 router overseas and my only internet option is a Huawei stick, or a sim-based router which I cannot turn into bridge mode. Hoping someone knows.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
E392 is the undefeated champion!
Compare it to an E3372 in a basement and you'll see what I mean
It was the last modem Huawei made containing a Qualcomm processor.
None of that Hi-Link crap

Last edited:
There was a list on this forum if i not misstaken me, but i dont know where

Well then back to my original question: Has anyone tested with the 380.57 or later versions of Asuswrt-Merlin for AC68 and a Huawei e3276s stick as the primary (and only) WAN connection?

I find this for you:

http://www.asus.com/event/networks_3G4G_support/

https://www.asus.com/campaign/2013/networking/tutorials/

https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1000807

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.378.3813

3G/LTE
1. Supported Huawei E161, E3131, E171
2. Supported ZTE MF880, MF823, MF821D
3. Supported Royaltek Q110

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.376.3626

3G/LTE
- Fixed HUAWEI E180, E261, E1750, E1780, EC122, EC1260, EC1261, EC150, EC167, ET128, compatibility issue.
- Fixed ZTE MU251, T A356, AC580, AC590 compatibility issue.
- Fixed BandLuxe C170 compatibility issue.
- Fixed HTC M8 USB tethering compatibility issue.

Added 3G/4G USB modem APN auto detection feature. In most cases, firmware can automatically find the ISP profile and establish link when 3G/4G dongle inserted to router.
- Added Android phone in USB modem/ USB Tethering --> Select USB device.

Last edited:
I am writing in this thread (even though it is an old thread) because it contains the best information regarding 3G/4G USB stick functionality in ndis mode.

I am trying to help my parents in law to set up a 4G connection and would like to use a Huawei 4G USB stick (E3722) in ndis mode (which is the fastest mode).
At the moment I did a set up for with their 3G USB stick (not sure which one) which is in Hilink mode in their RT-AC66U, reaching 3-5 Mbits (using latest Asus Stock firmware since Johns fork did not work :( with Hilink mode for that specific 3G stick). I knoe want to switch their 3G USB stick in Hilink mode to a 4G USB stick E3722 in ndis mode.

In order to setup ndis mode with a 4G USB stick E3722, I will use either RT-AC66U, RT-N16 or RT-AC66U_B1 for this setup (I have all of them at my disposal).

I have read that OpenWRT and Advanced Tomato might work in ndis mode, but I would really like to stay with Asus Merlin.

1) Has anybody got ndis mode for 4G USB sticks working on any of the latter 384 firmwares?

2) If the answer is no on question 1. @RMerlin, do you still have the firmware 374.42_2 for RT-AC66U, RT-N16U and RT-AC66U_B1 at your disposal?
I can not find the download links for them any longer. Thank you for your great work!

2) If the answer is no on question 1. @RMerlin, do you still have the firmware 374.42_2 for RT-AC66U, RT-N16U and RT-AC66U_B1 at your disposal?

No, and considering the crazy amount of security issues resolved over the past years, running such an old firmware would be suicidal.

Reactions: ika

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!