What's new

3 or 4 cores?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stevenm

Occasional Visitor
Lower priced RT-AX3000 has 4 cores, and the higher priced RT-AX5400 has 3 cores.
What am I missing here?

The speed of those cores and the capabilities (enabled/or not) of the SoC used with them.

In general, the 3 core SoCs were pretty much garbage when I tested them when they were 'new'.

What am I missing here?

The RT-AX3000 model you are looking at is V2 version with newer BCM6756 CPU and built-in* 2-stream radios.

The higher positioned AX5400-class router is using the older** BCM6750 CPU + BCM43684 5GHz 4-stream radio.

* - up to AX3000-class products
** - real world CPU performance is about the same

better have 1 good core than 4-10 week ones :)
OpenVPN is using one core and cloak make difference. I tis all depend of feature you are using

for example I have Xeon e3-1265 that speed of 1 core is half of i3 305 CPU but it is still good enough for 1Gbit speed. I have Proxmox OPNsense and NAS with torrents on it and can download torrents at 110-120MB/s (1Gbit LAN)

what I notice for 3 cores in routers very often 1 core is used for wi-fi

Higher-priced models often use SoC purely as a CPU or additionally for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi only. For example, RT-AX56U with BCM6755 (4 cores) uses SoC for 2.4 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi, while RT-AX82U V2 with BCM6750 (3 cores) uses SoC for 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi only and a stand-alone (and quite powerful) BCM6715 chip for 5GHz. But that's not always the case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!