What's new

378.55 on both AC66U and AC87U and cannot login anymore

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you wait a while? Reverting back to standard Asus firmware is a big, time-consuming step for what might possibly turn out to be a simple problem. If possible, I think it would be wise just to hang on a day or so and see if there's further advice.

Ok good advice.
Thanks

Three questions....

- Can you ping the routers that you cannot access the gui?
- Do you really have two Ethernet adapters installed (one shows as disconnected)?
- Is there an indication of a problem in the syslog of the inaccessible routers?

Can you wait a while? Reverting back to standard Asus firmware is a big, time-consuming step for what might possibly turn out to be a simple problem. If possible, I think it would be wise just to hang on a day or so and see if there's further advice.

By the way, have you tried accessing the 2 routers by plugging your laptop into the Fritzbox (and/or the Netgear switch) by ethernet cable?

Yes that's the default way they are connected at the local network.

Basically the only devices that connect by default to the local network through the WiFi are the smartphones and tablets.
All the other devices are connected with ethernet cables.

Three questions....

- Can you ping the routers that you cannot access the gui?
- Do you really have two Ethernet adapters installed (one shows as disconnected)?
- Is there an indication of a problem in the syslog of the inaccessible routers?

1) When back home I will try ( don't know exactly how to do it but will find out)

2) Yes my MB has two ethernet ports ( Gigabyte X58A-UD5 v2.
One port is connected to the GS108 switch with ethernet cable, and the other is empty...not connected.

3) How I find that file ?

Thanks.

1) When back home I will try ( don't know exactly how to do it but will find out)
From your PC just enter
ping 192.168.1.20
ping 192.168.1.34

You should either get a response with a time to reach the router (good) or a timeout msg (bad)

2) Yes my MB has two ethernet ports ( Gigabyte X58A-UD5 v2.
One port is connected to the GS108 switch with ethernet cable, and the other is empty...not connected.
Just checking that there wasn't a phantom interface that could have been confusing things. OK.
3) How I find that file ?
This may be problematic if you haven't enabled telnet or ssh access to the routers previously (or if the first ping test fails). If you can log into the router command line, you would enter

cat /tmp/syslog.log | more

and look for any error statements

Yes that's the default way they are connected at the local network.

Basically the only devices that connect by default to the local network through the WiFi are the smartphones and tablets.
All the other devices are connected with ethernet cables.

So your laptop is connected to the network through the Netgear switch? For troubleshooting purposes, it might be worth trying to connect your laptop to your network through (i.e. from behind) each of the Asus router access points and see then what happens when you try to access 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.34.

But don't forget John's advice: he's far more knowledgeable than I.

Thank you very much guys !
When I go back home I will try what you suggest.
I will let you know.

Hope you get this sorted.

Hello,
Last week I updated the firmware of my two routers Asus RT-AC66U and RT-AC87U from stock Asus to Merlin 378.55......

It's just hit me - a very important question: after you updated to Merlin's firmware, and before you changed any settings, did you restore each router to its factory default settings? (You can't have done it through the GUI, because you can't access it - hence the posting.)

Read RMerlin on restore to factory default at:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

It's just hit me - a very important question: after you updated to Merlin's firmware, and before you changed any settings, did you restore each router to its factory default settings? (You can't have done it through the GUI, because you can't access it - hence the posting.)

Read RMerlin on restore to factory default at:

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/faq-nvram-and-factory-default-reset.22822/

I think I definitely not make that operation.

I remember that after updating the firmware, I did login to both routers and changed some settings. ( wireless channel bandwidth for example)
But did not restore to default settings.

Last edited:
So your laptop is connected to the network through the Netgear switch? For troubleshooting purposes, it might be worth trying to connect your laptop to your network through (i.e. from behind) each of the Asus router access points and see then what happens when you try to access 192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.34.

Ping on 192.168.1.20 :
C:\Users\Aris>ping 192.168.1.20

Esecuzione di Ping 192.168.1.20 con 32 byte di dati:
Risposta da 192.168.1.20: byte=32 durata<1ms TTL=64

Statistiche Ping per 192.168.1.20:
Pacchetti: Trasmessi = 4, Ricevuti = 4,
Persi = 0 (0% persi),
Tempo approssimativo percorsi andata/ritorno in millisecondi:
Minimo = 0ms, Massimo = 0ms, Medio = 0ms

Ping on 192.168.1.34:

C:\Users\Aris>ping 192.168.1.20

Esecuzione di Ping 192.168.1.20 con 32 byte di dati:

Statistiche Ping per 192.168.1.20:
Pacchetti: Trasmessi = 4, Ricevuti = 4,
Persi = 0 (0% persi),
Tempo approssimativo percorsi andata/ritorno in millisecondi:
Minimo = 0ms, Massimo = 0ms, Medio = 0ms

This may be problematic if you haven't enabled telnet or ssh access to the routers previously (or if the first ping test fails). If you can log into the router command line, you would enter

cat /tmp/syslog.log | more

and look for any error statements

Dont know how to do it....I imagine that if I cannot load the login page of the router, there is no way to see if telnet or ssh are enabled and / or eventually enable them.

I tried with the laptop connected directly to the 66U...same problem.

try to reboot the routers.

if that dodsnt help then do a port scan on the routers ip with some thing like Axence netTools 5 to see if its listening on port 80 or 8443

Just for sake of clarifications... where is the Lan gateway cable connected in the other two?

If connected in their Wan port, you would ping successfully but the login page would not work since the access would still be 192.168.1.1 if your laptop is directly connected to it and not the above ip and from outside the router, the login from internet option would have to be enabled in order to access the gui from the ip you listed

So if not done already, log into 192.168.1.1 when connected directly to the router and confirm that you have not plug the cable coming from your gateway into the Wan port of your routers but the LAN ports

Just saying cause it sound like the ip you listed may actually be WAN ip on those router making it work for Internet but not accessible from either sides because they would be default ip from within and Internet gui access is disabled by default ....

It's my guess on your problem

try to reboot the routers.

if that dodsnt help then do a port scan on the routers ip with some thing like Axence netTools 5 to see if its listening on port 80 or 8443
You mean turning off and then on again ? Already done this without success.

I tried the port scan with the program you mentioned, it say " port open : 8443, pcsync-https, common alternative https port, pcsync-https, response time 0 (zero).
For the 87U same result, but instead of response time zero (0) i read 2.

... because they would be default ip from within and Internet gui access is disabled by default ....

It's my guess on your problem
I dont know if the bold quote above is intended as a specific feature of asuswrt firmware, because i must tell you that i did not changed any cable connection on the routers and before installing the merlin firmware, I was able to login from the usual login page (192.168.1.20 and 192.168.1.34).
On both routers the ethernet cable that come from the switch (and in the case of the 87U from the powerline) are connected at the WAN port.

Just for sake of clarifications... where is the Lan gateway cable connected in the other two?

If connected in their Wan port, you would ping successfully but the login page would not work since the access would still be 192.168.1.1 if your laptop is directly connected to it and not the above ip and from outside the router, the login from internet option would have to be enabled in order to access the gui from the ip you listed

So if not done already, log into 192.168.1.1 when connected directly to the router and confirm that you have not plug the cable coming from your gateway into the Wan port of your routers but the LAN ports

Sorry...now I see what you mean !
I detached the cable from the WAN port, connected one cable from my laptop to a LAN port and typed 192.168.1.1, at first I saw at the bottom left corner of Firefox (where you see the link) as "connected to 192.168.1.1...but the page continued to load, and after a while the connection timed out (nothing appeared on the screen..no GUI or anything else, just the connection timed out error message).

When you are running in AP mode, the WAN port is just like the other LAN ports, no difference.

Since you are able to ping the routers, the networking looks good. Unfortunately, we can't get in to look at the syslogs to see what may be happening..but my guess is that the web server is down or not starting correctly.

My next step would be to try this....

Unplug each of your clients (not the powerline/switch interconnects) and then reboot the routers and the netgear switch. Replug you primary client you've been testing from and see if you can get to the gui's then. If you can, immediately go to the Administration > System page and enable telnet and apply (so maybe we can collect additional data later).

Then plug in each client one at a time and retest. As you do this, on the AC87, don't use LAN port 1, it has a special setup and I'd like to eliminate the most variables possible.

There was just another user where having an HP Printer plugged in was apparently causing the router web server to crash (still don't understand that one), so may want to save that one for last.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!