What's new

384.15 AC86U 5Ghz Dropping/Disconnecting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terahertz

New Around Here
Hi, is anybody else experiencing random dropping of their wifi on 384.15 AC86U? I was on 384.12 before and had no issues until I updated last night.

Laptops and phones would have to disconnect and reconnect, or would disconnect on their own. I haven't really tested 2.4ghz since I mainly use 5ghz. Rebooting the router fixed it temporarily last night, and twice today.

I saw a ton of auth and deauth messages in the syslog, but I did find a thread saying that was normal in the later versions.

I will try downgrading to see if anything changes.

Last edited:
Hi, is anybody else experiencing random dropping of their wifi on 384.15 AC86U? I was on 384.12 before and had no issues until I updated last night. Laptops and phones would have to disconnect and reconnect, or would disconnect on their own. I haven't really tested 2.4ghz since I mainly use 5ghz. Rebooting the router fixed it temporarily last night, and twice today.

I saw a ton of auth and deauth messages in the syslog, but I did find a thread saying that was normal in the later versions.

I will try downgrading to see if anything changes.

Yep...had same issues with 384.14, 384.15 and 384.16...your solution is 384.12 which is what i rolled back to.

See my signature below for my current setup and I am not having this issue. Are you using fixed channels for both the 2 and 5 GHZ bands? What bandwidth are you using on the 5GHZ band? I have attached my current settings for 5 GHZ professional and general tabs for you, if it helps at all.

Attachments

• 5ghz.JPG
    5ghz.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,444
  • 5GHZ Gen.JPG
    5GHZ Gen.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,493
Last edited:
See my signature below for my current setup and I am not having this issue. Are you using fixed channels for both the 2 and 5 GHZ bands? What bandwidth are you using on the 5GHZ band?
Yes, fixed channels. Max bandwidth on both.

I am having the same issue. 384.15 appears to have botched my 5Ghz band. Devices being dropped and can not reconnect. Getting authentication errors when trying to reconnect. After multiple reboots I could get it working again, only to have the issue crop up eventually. I downgraded to the last release. So far it’s been back to normal.

OP here. I downgraded to .12, and everything is back to normal. Not a single drop today. On .15 I experienced about 3 drops that needed reboots and about 7 or 8 that required manual reconnects, all within 24 hours.

Hi,

Using Firmware Version: 384.15 on my RT-AC86U as well.

Had issues with an iPhone connecting and disconnecting all the time, on 5 GHz.
The phone connected every couple of minutes and only for 10-20 seconds at the time.

Remember something about bandwidth should be set to 40 MHz and all Beamforming settings should be disabled.

All other devices are fine with any bandwidth and Beamforming enabled, even other iPhones.

RT-AC86U_WiFi_5GHz_1.jpg RT-AC86U_WiFi_5GHz_2.jpg

Kind regards,
Alex T.

This is what I get immediately after the 5 ghz channel turns off (had to plug into the ethernet port in order to get the router logs):
Code:
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069570.595 wl1: wlc_ampdu_tx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 1 initiator 0 reason 39
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069571.549 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: seq 0x1d tid 1
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069571.730 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: seq 0x1 tid 3
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069579.914 wl1: wlc_ampdu_tx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 0 initiator 0 reason 39
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069579.915 wl1: wlc_ampdu_tx_recv_delba: AMPDU OFF: tid 3 initiator 0 reason 39
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069586.162 flow_create : bitmap_size=512  maxitems=2048
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069586.169 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: seq 0x1 tid 0
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069586.406 flow_create : bitmap_size=512  maxitems=512
Mar 11 17:42:00 kernel: DUMP CONSOLE: 069586.408 wl1.0: wlc_send_bar: seq 0x1 tid 6

Anyone have any clue what all of it means?

New AC86U with 384.16 alpha2, 5 GHZ ch 36 20/40/80, 2.4 GHZ ch 11 20. Running AiProtection and QOS. SMB turned off. USB 2 drive with 512MB swap partition. No issues!

AC86U here 384.15 merlin with manual channel selection no issue @ 2.4 & 5 for many months!

OP here again. I tried 384.16 beta 1, and the 5ghz hasn't dropped out in 2 days, but now my 5ghz guest network is broken! My nintendo switch can't get online unless connected to the non-guest network. I guess back to 384.12.

Instead of flipping back and forth between firmwares, see if a new SSID for your Nintendo Switch helps instead.

Fire up another Guest Network as a test, with eight alphanumeric characters (no punctuation, no special characters, no smiley faces) and a sixteen character password with the same attributes.

(Or, if you can 'forget' the network and re-associate to your router again after a reboot of all related equipment, do that to/instead). :)

Instead of flipping back and forth between firmwares, see if a new SSID for your Nintendo Switch helps instead.

Fire up another Guest Network as a test, with eight alphanumeric characters (no punctuation, no special characters, no smiley faces) and a sixteen character password with the same attributes.

(Or, if you can 'forget' the network and re-associate to your router again after a reboot of all related equipment, do that to/instead). :)
The nintendo switch worked on the guest network no problem on 384.12. I'm not sure why changing the SSID would matter in this case? The only difference is the firmware.

Yes, the difference is the firmware, correct. :)

I don't know what changed in it either, but using new SSID's, while not guaranteed, has helped before. ;)

Hi, in my case I have a wifi drop from 2.4Ghz, all devices lost connection to the node repeater. At first I thought it was related to the antenna position as putting them in a different configuration (||| instead of \|/) worked for a while, but later they got disconnected equally. I tried with latest stock firmware and it happens also. As said above, installed Merlin's 12 and now it looks like working properly. Something changed since that one that is causing this behavior (also at 2.4)

Woke up this morning to find the 5 GHz on my rt-ac68u (running 384.15) not working. No indication of any RF problem in logs. Reboot resolved it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!