What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AX88U_384.18_alpha1-g38ed4a85db
after Chrome update version 83.0.4103.61, the wireless log is not displayed correctly

pNJFi22.jpg

ydP8go3.jpg

:p
Already discussed...numerous times in this thread.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-18_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.63954/page-5#post-586603
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/384-18_alpha-builds-testing-all-variants.63954/page-4#post-583092

This new RT-AC86U code of 22nd May (1:44am) "alpha1-g8c95540a9a_ubi.w" ... installed seamlessly on 2x RT-AC86U AIMesh units off a RT-AX88U.

Last edited:
RT-AX88U_384.18_alpha1-g38ed4a85db
after Chrome update version 83.0.4103.61, the wireless log is not displayed correctly

:p
It's fixed on git, I compiled a build myself and it works fine now. Silly little bug but annoying nevertheless.

Google play, speedtest.net, Apple iMessage, Google itself, google analytics, google translate, plex.tv,........ considered as learn-from-home?

Default category is audio and video streaming? So all unidentified traffic go to streaming?

Nice work Asus... not.

Last edited:
Will the Alpha get updated to include the wireless log fix ?? o_O

Google play, speedtest.net, Apple iMessage, Google itself, google analytics, google translate, plex.tv,........ considered as learn-from-home?

Default category is audio and video streaming? So all unidentified traffic go to streaming?

Nice work Asus... not.

Basically what Asus did was simple:

- They renamed VoIP and Instant Messaging to Work-From-Home (with no change at all in traffic types grouped under that one)
- They added a new Learn-From-Home category, which has two duplicate traffic types (Web Services and I forgot which other one) that already existed (and still do) under two other categories. So whichever category has the highest priority will inherit that traffic first.

There is nothing new or special really about these two "new" categories. As you can see, one of them is just an existing category that got renamed. Only eLearning is actually new, and still it only contains two already existing categories, and generally does a pretty bad job at handling things due to what it contains.

As for Default, it's not assigned to a specific category, it's assigned to priority 4. So, whatever is the category you assign as the fourth priority will also inherit default traffic, so it gets more or less an average priority (out of 8 possible priorities). It's not a bad decision in itself, it allows you to have both higher and lower priority traffic.

Reading that, I’m not so excited anymore.
Bloody marketing - it gets me every stinking time. I should know better to be more sceptical by now. Smh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what Asus did was simple:

- They renamed VoIP and Instant Messaging to Work-From-Home (with no change at all in traffic types grouped under that one)
- They added a new Learn-From-Home category, which has two duplicate traffic types (Web Services and I forgot which other one) that already existed (and still do) under two other categories. So whichever category has the highest priority will inherit that traffic first.

There is nothing new or special really about these two "new" categories. As you can see, one of them is just an existing category that got renamed. Only eLearning is actually new, and still it only contains two already existing categories, and generally does a pretty bad job at handling things due to what it contains.

As for Default, it's not assigned to a specific category, it's assigned to priority 4. So, whatever is the category you assign as the fourth priority will also inherit default traffic, so it gets more or less an average priority (out of 8 possible priorities). It's not a bad decision in itself, it allows you to have both higher and lower priority traffic.
So basically it is more a Covid marketing thing than something else...

Last edited:
It looks like, since I do not plan to update hardware anytime soon, I will remain on 384.17 for a long time. It is rock solid and FreshJR is working very well for my 50/5 connection and I am not doing anything to jeopardize it’s functioning, especially for Asus marketing hype. I will continue to follow the progress on Merlin firmware updates as I like to keep informed.

It looks like, since I do not plan to update hardware anytime soon, I will remain on 384.17 for a long time. It is rock solid and FreshJR is working very well for my 50/5 connection and I am not doing anything to jeopardize it’s functioning, especially for Asus marketing hype. I will continue to follow the progress on Merlin firmware updates as I like to keep informed.

Update when they’re officially released, even if some “features” are overhyped or lipstick on a pig - it keeps you up to date with security patches. This is an alpha release for testing, after all.

Update when they’re officially released, even if some “features” are overhyped or lipstick on a pig - it keeps you up to date with security patches. This is an alpha release for testing, after all.

That is actually my plan with one caveat, the QoS part. If Asus does anything to “break” FreshJR then it will be a “no go” on updates. If I had a large pipe like I used to before moving ( 1g / 100m ) then I would not even worry about using QoS.

That’s one thing I suspect isn’t on the horizon, since it doesn’t seem they have people working on (or who know how to improve) their implementation. Thus, we get marketing hype AND FreshJR left alone for those of us who care and wish to tweak.

since ahs binary has been merged, does anyone has /tmp/ahs.log flooded with process_json and monitor_jffs log? (for firmware compiled with the latest commit)
Code:
May 24 23:18:02 2020 [process_log:(1455)]gArraylen=[5]
May 24 23:18:07 2020 [process_json:(1256)]A=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1
May 24 23:18:07 2020 [process_json:(1280)]B=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1, period=2271
May 24 23:18:07 2020 [process_json:(1290)]period = 2272, period_retry = 2, bootup_check = 0
May 24 23:18:07 2020 [monitor_jffs:(1732)][monitor_jffs] used=[1867776], total=[65798144], rate=[2.84%]
May 24 23:18:37 2020 [process_json:(1256)]A=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1
May 24 23:18:37 2020 [process_json:(1280)]B=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1, period=2272
May 24 23:18:37 2020 [process_json:(1290)]period = 2273, period_retry = 2, bootup_check = 0
May 24 23:18:37 2020 [monitor_jffs:(1732)][monitor_jffs] used=[1867776], total=[65798144], rate=[2.84%]
May 24 23:19:07 2020 [process_json:(1256)]A=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1
May 24 23:19:07 2020 [process_json:(1280)]B=>bootup_check = 0, periodic_check = 1, period=2273
May 24 23:19:07 2020 [process_json:(1290)]period = 2274, period_retry = 2, bootup_check = 0
May 24 23:19:07 2020 [monitor_jffs:(1732)][monitor_jffs] used=[1802240], total=[65798144], rate=[2.74%]

So basically it is more a Covid marketing thing than something else...

In my personal opinion, yes.

So most likely, the best thing to do is to set Work-from-Home at the priority level you would normally want VoIP and Instant Messaging (probably fairly high), and put eLearning at the bottom so web traffic gets properly prioritized by their proper respective categories. I'm assuming that the traffic gets prioritized by the first rule hit.

In my personal opinion, yes.

So most likely, the best thing to do is to set Work-from-Home at the priority level you would normally want VoIP and Instant Messaging (probably fairly high), and put eLearning at the bottom so web traffic gets properly prioritized by their proper respective categories. I'm assuming that the traffic gets prioritized by the first rule hit.
That's sort of my config right now.
What do you personally recommend?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200524-191135893.png
    Screenshot_20200524-191135893.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 246

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!