What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

But it's not the same as the router sub-directory tree where the bulk of improvements live.
IOW very few, if any, "fixes" or "enhancements" are applied there, is that right?

There are still frequent changes in the SDK directory, these need to be merged with new GPL releases.

It's me that noticed an issue and has been since . 16.
Appreciate the info and explanations. So basically we need to wait on Asus fixes that was introduced since the .16 merge (in my case on a ax88).
Exactly the type of responses I wanted [emoji3]

Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

I agree with the others about going with manual channel selection for all wifi bands because my ASUS routers will channel hop frequently for no apparent reason. My neighbors are all pretty far away so I have no concerns about significant levels of interference, but besides that, your typical household doesn't know anything about wifi, and most routers come with auto channel selection enabled. That means that even though I use manual channel selection, the channels I use are typically clear because everyone else's router moves to a different channel.

You seem intent on wanting to use auto. What do you think it gets you?

bak on 384.198 all working well , except seems my 5.2 radio will not accept connections noconnection can authenticate . I'll give it a week and get the ax92u need those 3 channels

Well... Nothing at all. I don't gain anything at all. I lost something though... A option that used to work just fine for me. And it affects ALL the clients.
I got some nice info from comming here. And that is why I came here. Info. I already solved the issue with the manual option. I just wanted info on why and if there was a solution that worked with Auto.
Auto served me well before for a long time on current router and rarely needed to change it on older routers either. So why should I be forced to used manual now?
I already use manual as a solution. But it is a solution I didn't need before.
I don't really see the problem with getting Auto working just as it did before. Even if it takes time to get it back via a improved firmware by Asus... I'll wait and see if Auto ever becomes usable again.

A feature became worse...when it worked fine before. The "Just do this and that and ignore it" idea... Well...how many failing features would be OK and acceptable to ignore? [emoji6]

I didn't expect this to be some type of "cursing in a church" like reaction... Oh well...

I think most people's replies are we can't force or make Asus do anything so a solution is provided. It's not that we are angry at you but we can't control what has been changed. We have to either learn to work around it or use a different product until that part gets fixed. Also certain things are excluded from what @RMerlin himself can fix.

Last edited:
I think most people's replies are we can't force or make Asus do anything so a solution is provided. It's not that we are angry at you but we can't control what has been changed. We have to either learn to work around it or use a different product until that part gets fixed. Also certain thinks are excluded from what @RMerlin himself can fix.
Yeah. I got that info before. All I knew was when it began and what was made then (the merge...so I suspected Asus).

Just wanted to know more and not just blindly accept manual as an solution.

Manual is the way to go, auto is the solution for those who do not know how to correctly chose and set a channel (or even what a channel is)...
As simple as that.

Last edited:
Perhaps take the debate of the merits of Auto vs Manual to its own thread.

It was confirmed to me when I asked Vanic about some of the recent QoS changes to make sure I was getting things right when adapting the QOS Stats page. I might need to re-check that I am picking the correct one on the stats page (it's tricky due to how I access and provide the information to the web page itself).

I think some of that info can be seen from the /tmp/bwdpi/qos.conf config file.
I see now what you mean in that they always assign the categories 28-43 to the fifth priority (number 4). But there are never any tc filter rules created to direct that traffic to flowid 1:14. So I think truly Untracked traffic (mark 000000) gets assigned to 1:11 as if it were VoIP (WFH) traffic with mark 0x80000000 0xc03f0000.

Edit: the rules are created but I don’t think the marks are ever set on the packets. Still uncertain but I will keep testing to prove myself wrong or right (likely the former).

Last edited:
Hey I am having trouble with Enable Web Access from WAN not sticking in the latest alpha. Every time I enable this feature I can use it once then it automagically goes back to no. BTW I have tried a Factory Reset. Is any one else having this issue or is there way to resolve it. Thanks...

I see now what you mean in that they always assign the categories 28-43 to the fifth priority (number 4). But there are never any tc filter rules created to direct that traffic to flowid 1:14. So I think truly Untracked traffic (mark 000000) gets assigned to 1:11 as if it were VoIP (WFH) traffic with mark 0x80000000 0xc03f0000.

It's been years since I've looked at tc stuff, so I wouldn't know. I'll just go with what Asus tells me, and if it's broken, expect them to eventually fix it on their end.

If you're sure something is wrong you could try to reach out to Vanic here on SNBForums.

Hey I am having trouble with Enable Web Access from WAN not sticking in the latest alpha. Every time I enable this feature I can use it once then it automagically goes back to no. BTW I have tried a Factory Reset. Is any one else having this issue or is there way to resolve it. Thanks...
Any 3rd party addins such as skynet?

It's been years since I've looked at tc stuff, so I wouldn't know. I'll just go with what Asus tells me, and if it's broken, expect them to eventually fix it on their end.

If you're sure something is wrong you could try to reach out to Vanic here on SNBForums.
Certainly you are entitled to pick your battles. No worries. I’m far from “sure” on anything yet, but I appreciate the hints.

Sanity check: Does anyone else see Untracked traffic going into the Work-From-Home class?

Incompatible with Skynet I think?

Yeah. I got that info before. All I knew was when it began and what was made then (the merge...so I suspected Asus).

Just wanted to know more and not just blindly accept manual as an solution.

Yeah, but there's probably two links in the chain upstream from Merlin.
ASUS who get the board development hit from Broadcomm, both having lots of products to maintain causing long development delays.
ASUS software engineering themselves might not be able to do anything about it.

Not that ASUS don't make mistakes in the bits they do develop, ;)

going into the Work-From-Home class?

Work from Home won't be everyone's fourth class. You have to look at the order you chose on the QoS Mode page to see what's your specific fourth class.

I really mean the fourth class, not class number 4.

Work from Home won't be everyone's fourth class. You have to look at the order you chose on the QoS Mode page to see what's your specific fourth class.
True. I am looking for anyone to confirm Untracked traffic is incorrectly going to Work-From-Home (regardless of priority) because it contains category 0 and therefore seems to catch any traffic marked 000000.

Dirty flash RT-AC86U [Aimesh Router] and RT-AC5300 [Aimesh Node] from 384.17 to 384.18-Alpha1 ... rock steady.
Dave14305's FreshJR adaptation doing what it says on the tin.
{Thumbs Up} all round :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!