What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

if we upgrade from 384.17 to 384.18, do we need to restore factory default soft restore or hard reset?

@jpthsd if your router is stable afterward, no. Depends on how long you haven't performed a full factory reset (or, how thoroughly it was performed, if it was performed recently).

Are you seeing any issues now? If so, they may get fixed or exacerbated for you. This is why it's an Alpha release. :)

All i can say and damn if i know why but this latest Beta 18 build makes my AX58U sing. I am not sure a 150.00 router could possibly work any better. Again Thanks Merlin for all you do even know it's time consuming and and at times a bitch. If i ever make it to your area of Canada i would love to share a cold beer with you. :D:)

Upgrade main unit to 86u then added @dave14305 's QOS and so far so good.

if we upgrade from 384.17 to 384.18, do we need to restore factory default soft restore or hard reset?
I didn't have to do a thing. Upgraded just fine and rebooted to the new version (as it has for many version upgrades in the past).

Upgrade main unit to 86u then added @dave14305 's QOS and so far so good.

[mention]dave14305 [/mention] took over from [mention]FreshJR [/mention] yes? What, if anything, do I need to do to update mine? I haven’t followed along on that thread for some time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello
Sorry for the question ..... Is this the last version of the firmware for rt-ac86u ? Because with the iPad I see 4 June as date, but with the Mac pro the date is 22 may.
6F686329-92D3-40E5-B947-92A7C3FCC57D.jpeg

Thanks

@StefanoN both are wrong (as is normal for Apple products, IME). :)

RT-AC86U_384.18_alpha1-g5f6b535e1a is the latest, properly dated May 28, 2020.

The version you are showing is from May 21, 2020.

@StefanoN both are wrong (as is normal for Apple products, IME). :)

RT-AC86U_384.18_alpha1-g5f6b535e1a is the latest, properly dated May 28, 2020.

The version you are showing is from May 21, 2020.
:)
I use only apple device :confused::(
Thanks

I've used (and continue to use) any/all devices. PC/Windows/Android is the most usable for productivity and least wtf moments for me. :)

:)
I use only apple device :confused::(
Thanks
OneDrive app on iOS is very inconsistent with “modified” dates. If using Safari, long press the URL and you can choose to not open in OneDrive. Web view will show the right dates.

upload_2020-6-6_14-18-50.jpeg

OneDrive app on iOS is very inconsistent with “modified” dates. If using Safari, long press the URL and you can choose to not open in OneDrive. Web view will show the right dates.

View attachment 23943
Thanks for the trick. The date is correct, the problem is OneDrive app.

@L&LD: for work Windows but I prefer Apple :)

Holy auto-connect politics!! lol I almost had to go get popcorn...

I don't want auto, or smart auto, or really anything "smart", never have... But,,, I've been having a ton of wifi disconnect issues with 386.16 and 17, so I am here checking with the experts. My fingbox that monitors the network reports devices going offline, online, offline, online, all day long in the last few releases and I'm hoping to get back to stable by reducing features. I'd like to give 18 a try, but before I do that, I'd first like to verify I have the most stable, most non-auto, least BS options man can get with the RT-AX88U. Can anyone quick comment if these settings all look right? Should I change anything else to get stability? I even disabled wifi6 as I don't even want that at this point, just stability. Most of my devices on are 2.4GHz as I have 3 floors in this old house to get through, and 2.4 does that well. I don't want any AI Mesh headaches either if 2.4 will cover the whole house, and it does.

Also note: 2.4 is set on 20MHz, while 5GHz is set to 20/40/80. Should 5GHz be locked to a bandwidth as well?

Thanks for everyone's hard work (dev and feedback) to make these firmwares happen.

Attachments

• wifi1.JPG
    wifi1.JPG
    65.4 KB · Views: 214
  • wifi2.JPG
    wifi2.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 233
  • wifi3.JPG
    wifi3.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 222
  • wifi4.JPG
    wifi4.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 241
Also note: 2.4 is set on 20MHz, while 5GHz is set to 20/40/80. Should 5GHz be locked to a bandwidth as well?
Also disable "Protected Management Frames" and you can change "Preamble Type" to "Short" if there is no really old WiFi device's (they simply wont connect if the do not like it on Short).
And yes for 5GHz fix it at 80MHz.

In addition to those suggestions, I would set a fixed channel on each frequency to the least congested and see how that goes.

Thanks everyone! I disabled Target Wake Time and this morning I didn't wake up to a mailbox full of emails that devices were disconnecting/reconnecting! I also made the other adjustments as suggested as well.

No on to try this 18 build.

I would set a fixed channel on each frequency to the least congested and see how that goes.

On the 5GHz band, it looks like everyone else is in the 100-165 channel range. Absolutely nobody in the channel 36 to 64 range. I suspect everyone else is in auto mode and it puts them in that range by default? I assume that channel 36 to 64 has no disadvantages over 100-165 channels, correct? I'd be the only one close by in that range which would be very good. Why is there such a gap in channels from 64 to 100?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!