What's new

384.7.2 Update failing on AC87U (384.5)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woolnut

New Around Here
Hi All,

I am having issues upgrading my AC87U which is currently running version 384.5 to version 384.7.2, it goes through the normal process but when i come to log back into the router, it hasn't updated?

Does anyone have any idea why, and how to resolve this?

Thanks

Hi All,

I am having issues upgrading my AC87U which is currently running version 384.5 to version 384.7.2, it goes through the normal process but when i come to log back into the router, it hasn't updated?

Does anyone have any idea why, and how to resolve this?

Thanks
Reboot and remove usb drives and try again.

I've tried this multiple times already, doesn't seem to help :(
Ok reset to defaults then flash then reset to defaults and manually setup the router again without importing any settings.

Could try to disable things like Ai-protection to free up more memory and then retry flashing 384.7_2

Ok reset to defaults then flash then reset to defaults and manually setup the router again without importing any settings.

Yeah i'm kind of hoping that this isn't required, mainly because there would be quite a lot to reconfigure... But it may well come to this.

Could try to disable things like Ai-protection to free up more memory and then retry flashing 384.7_2

I will give this a go, see if it helps

Maybe try to redownload the firmware and see if that helps

Yeah i'm kind of hoping that this isn't required, mainly because there would be quite a lot to reconfigure... But it may well come to this.

What I find helpful is to do this with 2 laptops, one connected to each router. The settings from the old router can then be typed easily into the new router, page by page.

Of course, in some instances there is not a 1:1 correspondence between the pages, but there is enough communality for this to be helpful.

I always connect the new router downstream of the old one (new router WAN port to old router LAN port). The new router then has access to the Internet during the update process, and so the time stamps in the log file make some sort of sense.

I also turn the radios off on the new router during this process, to avoid any devices in the building getting confused. This is especially needed if any devices are connected by both ethernet cable and wifi, and if the new router will have the same DHCP address range and SSIDs. (Edit: DDNS should also be disabled temporarily on the new router, if using the same DDNS domain name.)

If their format has not changed between versions, any settings which are very labourious to type in (DHCP reserations for example) can be transferred by exporting to a file on a USB stick, moving the stick to the new router, and then importing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Had the same problem with 87U and 384.7.2. Usually upgrade is easy, but this time, it was a nightmare, even if I upgraded to 384.7 previously without any problems. Rebooted router multiple times, even rebooted PC several times - no luck.

Finally was able to upgrade to 384.7.2 after powering off router (not just rebooting, but disconnecting from power for a minute) about 4 times. 5th time, it succeeded.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!