What's new

384.7 IPV6 Stateful Generates Logged Errors, Stateless Does Not

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Run it several times in a row....you need to catch dnsmasq before it crashes with the kernel error (I still think there is a dnsmasq bug playing in this)

Ok, I ran it until I got nothing in return.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-6828:/tmp# killall -SIGHUP dnsmasq
admin@RT-AC86U-6828:/tmp#

Ok, I ran it until I got nothing in return.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-6828:/tmp# killall -SIGHUP dnsmasq
admin@RT-AC86U-6828:/tmp#

No difference. Same errors logged.

killall: dnsmasq: no process killed
Ah, yes, I forgot it starts doing a death loop as soon as stateful is enabled. Give this a try ( and remember, all changes to files can be undone with a simple reboot ):

With stateful enabled -

Copy /etc/dnsmasq.conf to /tmp

Using vi or nano, edit /tmp/dnsmasq.conf and remove the no-resolv line. Replace the servers-file line with:

Code:
resolv-file=/tmp/test.conf

Save

then run:
Code:
echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /tmp/test.conf & echo "nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888" >> /tmp/test.conf

then run:

Code:
killall dnsmasq & dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf

Check logs.

Last edited:
Ah, yes, I forgot it starts doing a death loop as soon as stateful is enabled. Give this a try ( and remember, all changes to files can be undone with a simple reboot ):

With stateful enabled -

Copy /etc/dnsmasq.conf to /tmp

Using vi or nano, edit /tmp/dnsmasq.conf and remove the no-resolv line. Replace the servers-file line with: resolv-file=/tmp/test.conf

Save

then run:

echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /tmp/test.conf & echo "nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888" >> /tmp/test.conf

then run:

killall dnsmasq & dnsmasq --conf-file=/tmp/dnsmasq.conf
Code:
/tmp# killall dnsmasq | dnsmasq -

dnsmasq: junk found in command line

Code:
/tmp# killall dnsmasq | dnsmasq -

dnsmasq: junk found in command line
Sorry, I was restructuring the post to use code boxes to eliminate line spacing issues etc if you copy paste. I changed it a bit as well, please re-read the post.

Sorry, I was restructuring the post to use code boxes to eliminate line spacing issues etc if you copy paste. I changed it a bit as well, please re-read the post.

Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: bad option at line 1 of /tmp/test.conf
Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: bad option at line 2 of /tmp/test.conf
Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface

Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: bad option at line 1 of /tmp/test.conf
Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: bad option at line 2 of /tmp/test.conf
Aug 19 21:08:05 dnsmasq[8556]: ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 - local interface
Something was not done correctly when editing /tmp/dnsmasq.conf . Bad option at line 1 & 2 of /tmp/test.conf implies the resolv-file= line was not entered correctly, as dnsmasq would not be looking for options in the resolv file ( at least I don't think it would be calling them options ). Ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 further confirms this, as this is due to dnsmasq using /etc/resolv.conf which contains the localhost address. Basically, something about how you entered:

Code:

Did not end up correct. Or, if it does call the servers " options ", then something got messed up when you created the /tmp/test.conf file.. it should look like this:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888

If you'd like, post the conf files you made, or copy paste into a code box ( make sure to use a code box, else all the spacing will be messed up ) and I'll take a look + fix it if there's issues.

Last edited:
Something was not done correctly when editing /tmp/dnsmasq.conf . Bad option at line 2 of /tmp/test.conf implies the resolve-file= line was not entered correctly, as dnsmasq would not be looking for options in the resolv file ( at least I don't think it would be calling them options ). Ignoring nameserver 127.0.0.1 further confirms this, as this is due to dnsmasq using /etc/resolv.conf which contains the localhost address. Basically, something about how you entered:

Code:

Did not end up correct. Or, if it does call the servers " options ", then something got messed up with you created the /tmp/test.conf file.. it should look like this:

Code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888

If you'd like, post the conf files you made, or copy paste into a code box ( make sure to use a code box, else all the spacing will be messed up ) and I'll take a look + fix it if there's issues.

Code:
Aug 19 21:23:08 rc_service: watchdog 766:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Aug 19 21:23:08 dnsmasq[9226]: warning: no upstream servers configured
Aug 19 21:23:10 kernel: Unhandled fault: alignment fault (0x92000021) at 0x000000000010c8c6

I am unable to post the files as I am blocked by cloudflare when I try.

Code:
Aug 19 21:23:08 rc_service: watchdog 766:notify_rc start_dnsmasq
Aug 19 21:23:08 dnsmasq[9226]: warning: no upstream servers configured
Aug 19 21:23:10 kernel: Unhandled fault: alignment fault (0x92000021) at 0x000000000010c8c6
Was this log entry created after a successful dnsmasq start using command line with the /tmp/dnsmasq.conf file?

Ok, then we're barking up the wrong tree. The issue dnsmasq is having is a symptom not a cause. You stated you're on Comcast.. when stateful is enabled, run:

Code:
ifconfig vlan2 & ifconfig br0

Providing vlan2 is the default WAN interface in Merlin firmware. Does vlan2 have an IPv6 address starting with: 2001

While br0 has an IPv6 address starting with: 2601 ?

Ok, then we're barking up the wrong tree. The issue dnsmasq is having is a symptom not a cause. You stated you're on Comcast.. when stateful is enabled, run:

Code:
ifconfig vlan2 & ifconfig br0

Providing vlan2 is the default WAN interface in Merlin firmware. Does vlan2 have an IPv6 address starting with: 2001

While br0 has an IPv6 address starting with: 2601 ?

There are no VLANs in the router.

Attachments

• ifconf.txt
    5.4 KB · Views: 344
dnsmasq may be restarting as part of the normal startup, then the changes would be lost. To really confirm, the dnsmasq.conf edits should really be done in a dnsmasq.postconf script.
Make a /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf and set it executeable with the following
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1
source /usr/sbin/helper.sh

pc_delete "no-resolv" $CONFIG
pc_replace "servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq" "resolv-file=/tmp/test.conf" $CONFIG

dnsmasq may be restarting as part of the normal startup, then the changes would be lost. To really confirm, the dnsmasq.conf edits should really be done in a dnsmasq.postconf script.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

pc_replace "servers-file=/tmp/resolv.dnsmasq" "resolv-file=/tmp/test.conf" $CONFIG

read-only file system.

Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs is selected and router has been restarted.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
CONFIG=$1

Good suggestion. However, I'm very much leaning toward dnsmasqs issue being a symptom not a cause. Especially with the alignment fault directly following. A dnsmasq configuration issue ( such as the implied lack of upstream servers ) should result in, at minimum: a log entry warning followed by continued operation of dnsmasq, and at worst: dnsmasq terminates only to be restarted by rc where it pomptly terminates again.. rinse & repeat. The kernel fault is coming from somewhere else, and being an alignment error, dnsmasq may be losing it's allocated memory ( where it's information is held ) due to said error and logs the issue just before the kernel logs the fault.

Good suggestion. However, I'm very much leaning toward dnsmasqs issue being a symptom not a cause. Especially with the alignment fault directly following. A dnsmasq configuration issue ( such as the implied lack of upstream servers ) should result in, at minimum: a log entry warning followed by continued operation of dnsmasq, and at worst: dnsmasq termintes only to be restarted by rc where it pomptly terminates again.. rinse & repeat.

It is restarted by rc once every 30 seconds or so. Forever.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!