What's new

386.1 Alpha?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheOldMan

Noticed that there is an alpha 2 of 386.1 but no download is available?

Noticed that there is an alpha 2 of 386.1 but no download is available?
Have patient its still alpha. Its done when its done.

Merlin is doing alot of work migrating/merging code to coincide with the new changes from Asus. You can follow along with some of them over on the Official section of the forums.

That alpha code contains beta Asus code, with a lot of debug info logging (as well as known issues), therefore it's not suitable for regular use. If someone wants to experiment with it they will have to compile it themselves.

That alpha code contains beta Asus code, with a lot of debug info logging (as well as known issues), therefore it's not suitable for regular use. If someone wants to experiment with it they will have to compile it themselves.

as Microsoft break the WLS completely in the latest three insider fast ring builds, I cant build it myself :mad:
need to wait for MS to fix it ...

Compiled AX88u today and so far it's pretty stable excluding the classification not working.

Looks promising, can't wait :) Change log for now:

Asuswrt-Merlin 386/NG Changelog
===============================
386.1 (xx-xx-xxxx)
Switched to the new 386 codebase. Models are going to
gradually be re-added to this new code base.
386 introduces AiMesh 2.0, finalizes the move to
OpenSSL 1.1.1 firmware-wide, adds a new speedtest
(powered by Ookla). For more details, please refer
to Asus's own release notes.
- NOTE: For developers, note that firmware code is
once again back on the master branch, with
both mainline and ax being reunified again.
- NEW: Added stub and stub-v2 compression options to OpenVPN
clients. Not added to server, since compression is
considered deprecated, and will be removed most likely
in OpenVPN 2.6, for security reasons.
- NEW: Added tls-crypt-v2 support to OpenVPN clients.
- UPDATED: Merged GPL 386_39179 (beta GPL from Asus).
- UPDATED: Merged 386_39179 binary blobs for RT-AC86U,
RT-AC68U, RT-AC5300 and RT-AX88U.
- UPDATED: Updated to OpenVPN 2.5.0 Beta 3. Note that OpenVPN
2.4.0 or newer is now required by the exported
client config file.
- CHANGED: firmware update checks are no longer using the
server address stored in nvram, for security
purposes. Devs who were using that nvram
should instead edit the webs_scripts/* to
use their own URL.
- CHANGED: The old legacy cipher setting is now only available
when running with static key authentication.
- CHANGED: Tweaks to the OpenVPN webui layout
- REMOVED: Option to disable NCP. The NCP cipher list is
now used both for NCP and non-NCP endpoints.

Compiled AX88u today and so far it's pretty stable excluding the classification not working.

There are a number of issues with the RT-AX88U. For instance flow cache is partly broken, it will fill up your log with error messages with some clients. Some clients will also typically disconnect/reconnect very frequently.

I can't wait to be able to test these builds when they're available!

Combined with what is coming in amtm, Asus is moving upscale here from 'consumer' and even 'prosumer' wireless routers. And easily in a class of their own if they weren't already before. :)

Just what everyone else knows too. The excitement is getting stronger!

With Asus' hardware, their (as much as possible) open-source firmware, RMerlin's special treatments, amtm, and almost any script anyone can imagine being at least possible, if not here already, this is the 'it' playground for router nerds. :)

Last edited:
Merlin is doing alot of work migrating/merging code to coincide with the new changes from Asus. You can follow along with some of them over on the Official section of the forums.
@RMerlin 's twitter is a good source too... and there's probably stuff on the GitHub

I didn’t want to post about it until Merlin did, but I recently updated amcfwm with 386 support for those looking to self compile the new builds. I’ve been running them for about a week now without any noticeable issues.

Last edited:
as Microsoft break the WLS completely in the latest three insider fast ring builds, I cant build it myself :mad:
need to wait for MS to fix it ...
Even in the latest I'll check on my system to see if that's the case.

There are a number of issues with the RT-AX88U. For instance flow cache is partly broken, it will fill up your log with error messages with some clients. Some clients will also typically disconnect/reconnect very frequently.
Lan and wireless?, Looks like I'll just wait instead of building it till the issues are resolved.

Anyone brave enough to try this with an AC86u?

Due to COVID-19 I have to work from home (everyone who can must do that in my country; I'm not sick) and I notice a lot of (brief) disconnects of my MacBook Pro with 384.19 on 5 GHz, so I would be tempted to try this, but I need my internet connection to work.

I didn't realize 386 was this far along..Any idea (roughly) when betas of this will be offered?

No idea. This is just early beta code from Asus, it was provided so I could at least get started with merging it in (with only four models so far), and reunifying the mainline and AX models into one single code base. Asus will need to release non-beta code for all supported models first before I can get any idea of where I am going.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!