What's new

386.4 on AC88U breaks Chromecast device detection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Aminoacid

Occasional Visitor
After upgrading to 386.4 on the AC88U I noticed that none of the devices could detect chromecast enabled devices. Reverting back to the previous version fixed the issue. Searching online led me to old posts that mentioned disabling airtime fairness, however, this was already disabled.

Has anyone else faces this issue?

Stock/OEM to Merlin, or Merlin to Merlin? Dirty or clean upgrade? Upgrade from most recent prior release, or even older?

Then I strongly suggest you do a factory reset and manual reconfigure the router. You'd be surprised just how many times a reset after an upgrade will make problems magically disappear. And even if it doesn't, at least we know we're starting the diagnosis from a known, stable state.

Preach! I've learned this lesson a few times.. I used to think that going from a minor branch to another would surely be fine, like 386.3 to 386.4. And that major updates like 384.x to 386.x would require a factory reset. Nope, it's BOTH.

I'm at the point where the only way I'm going to attempt a lazy upgrade ("dirty" as you put it), is with sub-point releases, such as 386.3_2 to 386.3_3.
May even stop doing that soon, just been outright shenanigans and a much larger waste of time when I don't do a factory reset.

I have done "dirty upgrades" since getting my RT-AX86U and have not had a single issue. I have no issues casting to Chromecast devices. I do note that we have different routers.

Preach! I've learned this lesson a few times.. I used to think that going from a minor branch to another would surely be fine, like 386.3 to 386.4. And that major updates like 384.x to 386.x would require a factory reset. Nope, it's BOTH.

I'm at the point where the only way I'm going to attempt a lazy upgrade ("dirty" as you put it), is with sub-point releases, such as 386.3_2 to 386.3_3.
May even stop doing that soon, just been outright shenanigans and a much larger waste of time when I don't do a factory reset.
May I check, if I do perform a reset, can I just restore the configuration from backup or will I need to manually configure all?
@Aminoacid Are you using a guest network?
No guest network activated.

May I check, if I do perform a reset, can I just restore the configuration from backup or will I need to manually configure all?

Those are mutually exclusive. You reset so you can manually reconfigure. If you reset and then restore from a backup made prior to the reset, you're right back where you started!

Performed a full reset post upgrade. Kept it simple and only configured the wifi name and password with all other settings as default. chromecast devices are not detected. Anything else I can try?

For Chromecast all the devices must be on the same WIFI network. And, you might check to make sure that AP isolation is not on.

For Chromecast all the devices must be on the same WIFI network. And, you might check to make sure that AP isolation is not on.
Both the tv and the android phone are on the same 5g network.ap isolation is disabled. No luck.

The new wifi drivers can require a reinitialization of a device's wifi settings too. I know I had some weird stuff going on with 386.4 myself. I factory reset my iPhone along with a factory reset of the router.
How to factory reset your Chromecast - Android - Chromecast Help (google.com)
Bit sceptical about that considering downgrading to the last stable version restores Chromecast detection. Factory resetting phone is tbh a bit more involved. The Chromecast is built into the tv and I did reset that

Up to you. I don't care. But that was my exact same experience with my devices. I downgraded, seemed fine. Blamed 386.4. Thought again, and decided to try with a factory reset + resetting my problematic devices with a reset, and no issues. Just trying to help.
Relax, no need for I don't care and all that jazz. I am merely providing reason for my scepticism and in spite of that went ahead the reset the tv to try out your suggestion. I do appreciate the suggestions and am trying out everything posted so far.just resetting the phone is a lot of work.

I'm used to the typical internet with tons of passive aggressive 13 year old nerds wanting to argue about everything, is all. Telling people to relax NEVER has that effect but I think you know that.. anyway, I "don't care" so much that I shall continue with another story.. I find most wireless devices are getting finnicky with handshakes these days. I updated the firmware on my Sony WH-1000XM4 headphones and got loud squealing out of them until I removed their driver completely out of the hidden devices in Device Manager, and did a factory reset on the headphones, then re-paired them. No more issues since.

On the phone in question, an iPhone, you can reset just the network settings, which is what I did there. The same option may exist on Android.
Ok there is a network settings reset on Android that I did. No dice.

Are you Chrome Casts connecting to the network? If not, try creating a guest network and connecting the Chromecast to the guest network.

It could be related to the issue i am having with 386.4 - that AiMesh pushes clients arround. In my case laptop located next to the one node is pushed over to the AP on the second floor.
This issue was not present in 386.3
Did you bound your chromecast to the specific AP?

I am also on same router and AiMesh with no issue after dirty upgrade to 386.4.

Just curious, are those chromecast devices using date/time like your router?
I had issue with my Google devices few weeks ago but solved by making sure their date/time are in sync with the network.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!