What's new

386.5 Alpha1?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RT-AC68U dirty flash over 386.4 Seems more stable than 386.4 on the RT-AC68U which is unheard of for an Alpha release!
I started typing something similar yesterday and then promptly forgot about it but here it is:
Alpha 1 seems to be better with my RT-AC68P and FlexQoS under high QoS load scenarios:
I have 120/18 speed and activities with lots of small packets can max out the processor on download when QoS is active - 100% on core 1 with very high sirq - large packets don't do that)

With 386.4 I noticed sluggishness aka latency increase in other activities when that happens.
With 386.5 Alpha 1 everything remains snappy even when Core 1 is 100% busy....
Maybe something sirq related got optimized with the new Asus portion since all the busy comes from sirq activities.

RT-AC68U dirty flash over 386.4 Seems more stable than 386.4 on the RT-AC68U which is unheard of for an Alpha release!
This is @RMerlin work that you are talking about — not unheard of at all! ;)

I started typing something similar yesterday and then promptly forgot about it but here it is:
Alpha 1 seems to be better with my RT-AC68P and FlexQoS under high QoS load scenarios:
I have 120/18 speed and activities with lots of small packets can max out the processor on download when QoS is active - 100% on core 1 with very high sirq - large packets don't do that)

With 386.4 I noticed sluggishness aka latency increase in other activities when that happens.
With 386.5 Alpha 1 everything remains snappy even when Core 1 is 100% busy....
Maybe something sirq related got optimized with the new Asus portion since all the busy comes from sirq activities.
Likely thanks to this...

EDIT: Oh & look what I noticed while I'm in here snooping...
Perhaps we'll see an alpha for the RT-AC86U sometime soon ;-) ???

BTW Thx RMerlin

Last edited:
It would not change Adaptive QoS behavior.
LOL, well I've been wrong before... Thanks for the correction (as Nobody knows FlexQoS) much better than you.

EDIT: Hopefully my second point is still Valid, or that's two strikes for me

@RMerlin As always really appreciate your work.
I was hoping you may have some insight into why the rt-ax86 LAN to LAN transfers get affected by enabling QOS besides Adaptive(transfer rates drops from around 100MBs to around 60MBs).
I don't believe its your build because it happens with the stock FW as well, but whats puzzling is if I swap in my spare RT-AC86U, this speed hit does not occur enabling regular QOS.

Don’t tempt me to install an alpha!!
giphy.gif

See a lot of: Since i updated to alpha 1 on AX88u
These only come from clients i have set on DNS-Filter
Code:
Feb 16 21:21:30 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: ** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=https://192.168.1.1:8443/blocking.asp?cat_id=23&mac=*******C8428&domain=yield-op-idsync.live.streamtheworld.com
Feb 16 21:21:50 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: ** ERROR: [send_redir_page:625] # redir_url=https://192.168.1.1:8443/blocking.asp?cat_id=23&mac=*******B5023&domain=acds.prod.vidible.tv
Sometimes restarting DNS-Filters seems to help for awhile
&
Code:
Feb 16 21:06:41 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: httpds (1261): drop_caches: 1
Feb 16 21:12:13 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2

Feb 16 21:06:41 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: httpds (1261): drop_caches: 1
When you login to the firmware this entry happens.
Feb 16 21:12:13 RT-AX88U-6C58 kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2
I have the same error and have no clue what it is.

bug
in Main_WStatus_Content.asp RT-AX88U cannot see WIFI clients connect
I have the same router and don't have that issue.

Dirty flash to 386.5_alpha1 to my main router (RT-AX86U) and AiMesh node (RT-AX88U). Everything seems to be working smoothly, and my AiMesh connection quality as reported on the AiMesh page has gone from Fair to Great. Both were on 386.4 previously and I was getting IoT devices dropping from time to time, I'll keep an eye on things with the updated GPL. I'm ~90 minutes in with no issues yet, knock on wood.

On a side note, thanks for all of the encouragement in this thread to install an alpha version, something I would never do normally but as others have said Merlin is amazing!

After all the warm recommendations here to upgrade to Alpha version which I have promised to myself in order to avoid bugs, I just upgraded to an Alpha version for the first time after I stopped it because of Asus made me a QA tester about 1 year ago.
AX88u - 2 PCs (Router and a Node)
Never thought a dirty upgrade would be so fast and further more- seamless.
I came with fear because of past experience.

Running now for 20m and 21 clients connected like a charm (did 1 reboot right after the upgrade, would do another one now)
Hope that the new WIFI drivers would assist few IOT devices I got disconnecting and re-connecting.
My huge thanks to @RMerlin for his terrific work, definitely worth the donation I did not so much while ago.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!