What's new

Solved 386.5_2 AX86U - Unable to generate cert for https login?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ryanocerous

New Around Here
Hey all, longtime lurker but new registrant for this question. Love the merlin firmware and I've used it on my old RT-N66u for years. I recently picked up an RT-AX86U, and have been reconfiguring it using the latest stable merlin firmware, 386.5_2. However, I've run into a snag. I prefer to have the router sign-in page use HTTPS, but when I set it up in System settings and download the certificate package (following the stock Asus instructions), all it generates in the cer.tar file is a cert.pem and key.pem file, no actual certificate. I could have sworn I did this on my older router without an issue.

Is this a known issue with the merlin firmware, or am I doing something wrong? I can't add either PEM file to Firefox and am stuck with a "this connection is not secure" message unless I add an exception. Do I need to add an exception or go through the added steps to set up LetsEncrypt, or am I doing something wrong here?

Help is very much appreciated :) Thanks. - Ryan

Hi @ryanocerous,

The cert.pem is the thing you need. You can import it under Windows by searching for Internet Options, then go to Content - Certificates - Trusted Root Certification...and click Import. Browse to the folder with cert.pem. You will have to choose to see all files. Then select it, Import it to Local Machine - Trusted Root. After that it should be recognized and used by Firefox...

Doh... thanks folks. The asus instructions assumed a clickable cert file in Windows and I totally forgot about Internet Options in windows. Worked like a charm.

I too have used this procedure, but I needed to do it from an admin account in Win10. If I do it from a user acct, then try to access the router, I still can only connect Unsecured. If I click on the Unsecure text in Brave then I get a Certificate Not Valid message. Do I need a different cert for my user acct access, and if yes, how do I save it so that it works within the user acct?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!