What's new

[ 388.4 alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX58U has been updated for two days, now everything is stable. Thanks @RMerlin

Addons installed and services used:
  • Diversion Standard (large file)
  • Skynet
  • scMerlin
  • Telegraph via Entware
  • Wireguard Server
  • OpenVPN server
  • Asus DDNS service

Used memory reported in network map

Screenshot 2023-07-12 alle 10.50.58.jpg

Instead in scMerlin
Screenshot 2023-07-12 alle 10.51.22.jpg

AX68U around 24hrs with no issues yet. I saw in the GitHub commits there were some bcm binary updates for the AX68 so possibly some wifi updates from Asus. We will see if I get any 5ghz fatal errors, it happens at random.

The channel info on the wireless log is a nice touch.
Where does the Utilization % come from (or mean)? Mine is always showing 100% but the Wifi Radar / Channel Stats capacity shows otherwise.

1689512697077.png

1689512723516.png

1689512906693.png

Wouldn't that mean 5Ghz utilization is at 17%?

I was curious about that too when I saw it but I only see it on a RT-AX58U, the GT-AX11000 doesn't have utilization with this build, so I'm guessing that model didn't get that feature

1689516322619.png

I was curious about that too when I saw it but I only see it on a RT-AX58U, the GT-AX11000 doesn't have utilization with this build, so I'm guessing that model didn't get that feature

View attachment 51756
Your Utilization actually shows something other than 100%, so possibly this is not working on the AX68U either. Would need @RMerlin to confirm where that info is coming from? Anything I can check on my end to see why it always shows 100%?

Would need @RMerlin to confirm where that info is coming from?
The info comes from Broadcom's API. Asus added it to the Wireless Log dump, I added the same info to my formatted display.

Check the content of the Wireless Log, see if it reports the same bogus value. If it does, then something is wrong on the Broadcom side of things.

The info comes from Broadcom's API. Asus added it to the Wireless Log dump, I added the same info to my formatted display.

Check the content of the Wireless Log, see if it reports the same bogus value. If it does, then something is wrong on the Broadcom side of things.
Screenshots are from the Wireless Log page. I assume you mean to check the one on the stock firmware? Is there a way to see that from your firmware or would I have to flash back to stock?

I assume you mean to check the one on the stock firmware?
No, I mean click on the "Open" button on that page to see the same text dump that is present on Asus' original display.

No, I mean click on the "Open" button on that page to see the same text dump that is present on Asus' original display.

Ok... never even noticed that button was there.
Still shows 100% in there as well. So its either just me, or something wrong on all AX68 from Asus.

Just thought it was odd and wanted to make sure it was not a fixable issue on your end.

Also - still looking good for Wifi, everything is stable and no radio crashing as of yet.

Occasional lurker here, but created an account just so I could say thanks for the latest alpha. I've been using release builds on my RT-AX68U since last year, moved to Asuswrt-Merlin to resolve periodic 5G WiFi dropouts, all working well.

Needed to set up tethering to an old Android phone - Pixel 4 XL - and while the device was recognised, it wasn't possible to get the secondary WAN to pick up IP, gateway or DNS settings.

Upgraded to the alpha 388.4_alpha1-g8173a81bbb this morning, and now the secondary WAN is able to pick up ISP details. Changed around the order of WAN and USB to make USB the primary, and it connects to my mobile operator without issues. 4G data rates of around 30Mbps download and 10Mbps up - perfectly usable backup.

Failover still doesn't seem to function correctly, it usually shows the secondary as 'Cold Standby'. Managed to get it to failover one time, then after failback to primary the secondary once again went to Cold Standby (instead of Hot Standby). I'll investigate the failover script posted by @Ranger802004.

Thanks again!

Those that want to self-compile, you need automake-1.16.5 . 1.16.1 causes compilation to stop. Ubuntu has development packages and has 1.16.5 available. Just wanted to let you guys know.
I did some interesting experimenting with automake and autoconf. Ubuntu 22.04 has automake 1.16.5 and autoconf 2.71 which is what is needed. Every time I updated the system, those two packages keep getting downgraded in Ubuntu 20.04. So I did apt-mark hold on both packages. They are left alone during updates. It's time to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 to avoid this package issue and hassle. Has anyone successfully gotten Ubuntu 22.04 to work with merlin's builds?

It's time to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 to avoid this package issue and hassle. Has anyone successfully gotten Ubuntu 22.04 to work with merlin's builds?
Broadcom's SDK is not compatible with 22.04, various things break during build time.

Ok... never even noticed that button was there.
Still shows 100% in there as well. So its either just me, or something wrong on all AX68 from Asus.

Just thought it was odd and wanted to make sure it was not a fixable issue on your end.

Also - still looking good for Wifi, everything is stable and no radio crashing as of yet.
I have the same thing on an AX68U but everything is stable and runs just fine.

Alpha uptime 4 days 7 hours. 👍

Last edited:
AX68U just got the wl1 crashing on me again earlier today. 😢😢😢
Was hoping Asus had fixed the issue.

Just FYI for anyone else, if you get this I have found best practice is to do an "electrical reset" which is just unplugging it for about 30 seconds and then restarting.

Code:
Jul 17 13:16:10 kernel: wl1: fatal error, reinitializing, total count of reinit's[22]
Jul 17 13:16:10 kernel: CSIMON:  CSIMON[1.1.0] Initialization
Jul 17 13:16:10 kernel: CSIMON: M2M usr already registered ...
Jul 17 13:16:10 kernel: wl1: PSMx dump at 172954 seconds. corerev 131 reason:watchdog ucode revision 1626.38205 features 0x3106

1689644674794.png

UPDATE: I setup a local syslog server, turned on all logging and pointed it to my server. Going to see next time it happens if I can get anything more useful from the logs that might help figure out if a certain event is causing this. Maybe could take it to Asus but not sure if I have the energy to fight that battle with level 1 tech support people at a large company.

Last edited:
I did some interesting experimenting with automake and autoconf. Ubuntu 22.04 has automake 1.16.5 and autoconf 2.71 which is what is needed. Every time I updated the system, those two packages keep getting downgraded in Ubuntu 20.04. So I did apt-mark hold on both packages. They are left alone during updates. It's time to upgrade to Ubuntu 22.04 to avoid this package issue and hassle. Has anyone successfully gotten Ubuntu 22.04 to work with merlin's builds?
I can confirm Ubuntu 22.04 will not work with self compiles.
Your tip of upgrading automake to 1.16.5 works fine for self-compile - as long aa you are compiling for a router which RMerlin has just compiled - in your case RT-AX68U. If you try and compile for RT-AX86U it will crash due to lack of conformity in the Master for that model.
At least that has been my experience in recent years [used to work back in the day for what ever model was supported by amcfwm].

I can confirm Ubuntu 22.04 will not work with self compiles.
Your tip of upgrading automake to 1.16.5 works fine for self-compile - as long aa you are compiling for a router which RMerlin has just compiled - in your case RT-AX68U. If you try and compile for RT-AX86U it will crash due to lack of conformity in the Master for that model.
At least that has been my experience in recent years [used to work back in the day for what ever model was supported by amcfwm].
I can compile on both amcfwm and without. I use Ubuntu 20.04 in a VM environment. Both for amcfwm and without. With automake 1.16.5 and autoconf 2.71. I read somewhere that some compilers need to update both automake and autoconf. Use apt-mark hold to keep apt from downgrading those two packages. I'm following RMerlin's advice that Ubuntu 22.04 is not compatible with Broadcom's SDK yet. Assuming they are working on it. I'm using VMware now. I used VirtualBox in the past. Just prefer to use VMware. Makes sense?

Put onto 3 RT-AX86U in different geographical areas and noticed the 5ghz utilisation value was working, but 2.4ghz was stuck on 100% utilisation even if no devices connected and on any channel. This is two areas with no other access points around and one that has other access points around.

So it may be known issue. If not fixable then it shouldn't even appear in the wireless log for 2.4ghz.

Smooth update on RT-AX88u from 388.2_2 to this new 388.4_alpha1-ge75589d8d7
Had 71 days and 9 hours uptime on 388.2_2 ;)
Thanks RMerlin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!