What's new

3x ac-3200 or 1 x ac-3200 and 2 x RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Binar

Occasional Visitor
I have a big house and the 2 x RT-AC68U I have won't cut it (blind spots throughout the house). I'm using one as main and one as wireless bridge.
Now I have the option to get 3 x ac-3200 and I was wondering if you guys forsee any problem having 1 x ac-3200 as main and 2 x ac-3200 as repeaters OR SHOULD I USE 1 x ac3200 as main and 2 x RT-AC68U as repeaters.
Please answer from a technical point of view and ignore the cost saving .

You should run Ethernet cables to each location you want a wireless AP.

Or seriously consider a Powerline option.

Having one or two repeaters on any consumer router is asking for a network that reacts like molasses for all clients whenever a client is being used on the repeater. The reach / range issue is taken care of by the location of all routers combined. But with a wired Ethernet or Powerline connection, the network can be setup to really extend the range without the compromises multiple repeaters will bring.

Fishing cables is not a viable option because of the size nd the architecture of the house. I also hate powerlines. The reason I started this thread was an answer Merlin gave to another user "..Repeater Mode is not available on the ..the RT-AC3200. ...the RT-AC3200 due to limitations in SDK7 on which that model is based....." http://www.snbforums.com/threads/wireless-bridge-to-neighbors-house-using-rt-ac87.24740/
I want to clarify it and double check if I can or can't run 3 x ac-3200 (1 main and 2 AP, repeaters or wireless bridge)...

The RT-AC3200 does not support repeater mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!