What's new

4G modem (USB or Wifi)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mekabe remain

Regular Contributor
I am on the edge of ordering a 4G modem for personal use.
I thought , maybe I could make it work with the Asus router (ax88u) as a backup wan device, so I'd like to get some advice here.
I know that there is a "compatible devices" list of Asus and Merlin firmware supports only these devices.

With that knowledge; I have 2 questions:
1. is there a possibility of another device working with my router even though it is not in the compatibility list ? (since the device will be only a serial device used to dial out)
2. Can I use wifi hotspot of the modem as a backup internet access method on AX88U ? If yes, how ?

I am planning on ordering Alcatel MW70V.

This doesn't answer your question, but I can confirm that at least one device not on the list truly does not work when connected to my RT-AC86U. The modem works connected to a laptop (with an appropriate driver) but really is incompatible with the router.

I suspect the list is out of date (since it lists devices no longer available), but I would go by it unless someone can confirm that your specific device works.

ok. thanks for this answer.

as you stated, the list is really out of date. mostly 3g devices.
I can't find most of them where I live.

so I think I will take my chance.

on the other hand, what about wifi hotspot as a backup wan link to asus router ?

well thanks for the post but I could not understand the relation with my question and that post.
it is about using a USB to ETH device to make a 2.5Gb WAN port.
how can I use it with a 4G modem/access point ?

What I was getting at is if your 4G modem has any type of USB connection interface the above post would obviously be applicable, you would basically be tethering your modem to the router.

If you're asking about tethering the modem to the router purely over wifi, I would have to defer to someone else's experience on the matter. I am inclined to say that it's not natively possible on Merlin outside of custom scripting.

Edit: If you do decide to go the USB route, here is what you'd have to do to setup failover (backup wan): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...g-and-failover-router-problems-and-fix.72579/

Last edited:
What I was getting at is if your 4G modem has any type of USB connection interface the above post would obviously be applicable, you would basically be tethering your modem to the router.
For me, at least, it isn't that simple. I can tether my cell phone (a dumb phone) to my RT-AC86U and it works just fine. The router detects it as an Android device (which it apparently looks like), uses it's Android driver, and starts communicating. (My laptop also sees it as an Android device.)

If I tether my USB modem - an Inseego USB800 4G LTE modem - the router makes a wild (and incorrect) guess for a driver. It repeatedly tries and fails to communicate with the modem. This isn't a convenient time for me to try it again, but I'll do that sometime soon and post the log entries if that will convince you.

I would be tethering my modem to the router if the router would talk to the modem ... but it won't.

Maybe I, too, have misunderstood the contents of that posting you pointed to.

If you're asking about tethering the modem to the router purely over wifi, I would have to defer to someone else's experience on the matter. I am inclined to say that it's not natively possible on Merlin outside of custom scripting.

Edit: If you do decide to go the USB route, here is what you'd have to do to setup failover (backup wan): https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...g-and-failover-router-problems-and-fix.72579/
well, I would surely prefer to use the USB mode. But there is no guarantee that the router will detect the modem well and be able to use it.

ok good news (at least for me)
I got the Alcatel MW70V and it works as a USB modem on Dual WAN configuration on AX88U.

So Asus can add this in the compatibility list.
no additional configuration was required. Works out of the box.

ok good news (at least for me)
I got the Alcatel MW70V and it works as a USB modem on Dual WAN configuration on AX88U.

So Asus can add this in the compatibility list.
no additional configuration was required. Works out of the box.
Congratulations! Maybe ASUS will update that list some day.

I looked at the MW70V specs and either I don't know how to interpret them (a very good possibility) of the device does not work with any of the G4 bands used in the US or I'd by one right away.

When you connect it does the router what kind of device does the router say is attached? When I connect my Inseego USB800 the router reports it as a Novatel USB800 (Novatel reorganized and changed its name to Inseego). But Novatell USB800 is not one of the ASUS-supported devices.

Reasonable, but surprising to me. I don't know how different the AX88U's GUI is from the AC86U's, but assuming they are pretty similar, ...
In the Internet Connection tab of your WAN page, if the "USB Modem / USB Tethering" display's "Select USB Device" is set to USB Modem", and you expand the USB Adapter" list (towards the bottom of the page), is the Alcatel MW70V listed? (It isn't in my AC86U running Merlin 386.3.2.) I assume the code picks the driver for another device if there isn't an exact match. I wonder if that's documented somewhere.

That list is a very short list and there are only 2 Alcatel models listed there.
I assume the device name is coming from the serial protocol. So what you see is what the modem tells as its name to the router.