What's new

4K UHD streaming problem. Is it my router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The difference with Portal comes when radar is detected. All other routers will drop all conceptions during the one minute CAC. Portal runs CAC on all DFS channels during boot, so can switch instantly to another channel, then run CAC on the vacated channel using its dedicated monitor radio without having to drop connections.

I won't say so much about Portal and their implementation - but if one is in a DFS area where radar might be a problem - it's probably an area where it will always be a problem... I personally haven't seen an area where that issue is intermittent - as such, there are other router/AP's that support DFS quite nicely...

You are rude and nasty and to use your term...

IGNORANT if you think I am "speaking for everyone" when RELAYING A KNOWN REPORTED ISSUE.

Read more carefully next time.

I said the Samsung & LG TV Apps had been fixed via a FW update months ago.

Have yourself a lovely day.

There has been no Samsung YouTube app update since April 1st of 2016. The issue was a YouTube issue. Not an app issue. And only a few people encountered it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Arris sb6183 cable modem (16 down/4 up) although my ISP has 24 bonded down and an Apple AirPort Extreme for the router with the 5GHz network enabled with a unique SSID.

Anyways - I'll go back to the original post...

You're probably as good as it's going to get - it's a good modem, it's a good router/AP, and then you run into basic physics about wireless range in the 5GHz band.

The 16 Mbit/Sec downstream isn't doing 4K video any favors here - just saying...

Dumb question. If OP has a Vizio TV, does it have latest firmware? M or P-series set? Or older D-series?
Another place you can get some useful info. is AVS forum where I frequently visit. Recently I redid my home theater, new latest receiver and all. No problems with any source material on-line. My ISP speed is
50/5.

Don't worry so much about 4K on your iMac - it's not going to do it anyways considering it's from 2006 - depending on needs/requirements, you might want to consider getting current however, as 10.7 isn't getting security patches these days.

While 4K might be interesting - just consider trying to get the best performance on FullHD - 1080p - and with the Netflix, there are options in your account settings (on the website) that will help there.

Thank you but I was using the iMac to make a point of comparison.

I **don't** want 4K on the iMac. It can't handle it. I want it on the TV, Chromecast Ultra & NVIDIA shield tv.

2006 iMac's cannot be upgraded past 10.7.5, where mine is......and I was using it as a point of comparison that IF this 11yr old iMac running Lion 10.7.5 , connecting to the 802.11n at 2.4GHz is clocking 70-200Mv/s on my network, then my brand new 4K UHD Smart TV with all the latest components (& also all boards & cards were replaced by Vizio last week.... just in case) connected to the 5GHz network on 802.11ac or wired via a Cat 7 Ethernet cable directly to the modem should not be getting DISMAL speeds of 7Mb/s to 31Mb/s max.....hovering just above & below 10-18Mb/s most of the time.

That's a problem.

And it's not the just the TV. When multiple wireless clients are connected and running, only one gets the high speeds of 180-200Mb/s. The next will get half that, the next half of that, the next half of that, and so on.

I also mentioned the iMac because it's the only other device I owned until today thst had an Ethernet port & could be wired directly to the cable modem besides the TV.

Also, the Comcast Xfinity tech insisted on using the iMac to set up my cable internet service & test the connections & speed, despite me telling him that it's so outdated that I rarely use it and the entire reason I purchased cable internet at 150mbps in the first place was to stream 4K on the TV & on the NVidia Shield TV Pro.

So, I'm definitely not trying to watch 4K or anything else on my 2006 iMac.

The speed is wasted there and it's maddening.