What's new

5Ghz Stops Broadcasting on Merlin 380.68_2 and above - AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sounds like a faulty unit. Would be a good test to try a NEW AC3100 out of the box and see if the same thing happens.

Decision made. I wanted to share with the thread that I returned the Netgear R8000 and purchased a Asus RT-AC3100 (HW Ver A5). Installed and working well on merlin 382.1_beta2 firmware. The router is sitting on one of those closet-wire shelves. Because of all the posts of the AC3100 running hot (78 to 82 degree C) and my experience with the flakey refurb unit, I decided to zip-tie a Thermaltake USB Fan underneath it (plugged into wall-powered USB surge & power adapter; fan speed at it's lowest setting). Temp avg is normally in the mid-60s but it's 54C right now as I type this. I'm very happy with this router and merlin firmware combo. Best I've ever owned.

They maybe good for cooling and air flow, however if they are wire metallic shelving, could and may impact wireless signal operation and performance... Just be careful...Open area on a wooden desk or shelf is preferred.

Decision made. I wanted to share with the thread that I returned the Netgear R8000 and purchased a Asus RT-AC3100 (HW Ver A5). Installed and working well on merlin 382.1_beta2 firmware. The router is sitting on one of those closet-wire shelves. Because of all the posts of the AC3100 running hot (78 to 82 degree C) and my experience with the flakey refurb unit, I decided to zip-tie a Thermaltake USB Fan underneath it (plugged into wall-powered USB surge & power adapter; fan speed at it's lowest setting). Temp avg is normally in the mid-60s but it's 54C right now as I type this. I'm very happy with this router and merlin firmware combo. Best I've ever owned.

Also the fan is not needed i have had the 3100 since 2015 turned on 24/7 and never had a issue with over heating these chips are designed to be hot.

However doesn't hurt to have additional cooling. maybe designed to be hot however electronics will degrade over time due to heat. Nature of the beast.

However doesn't hurt to have additional cooling. maybe designed to be hot however electronics will degrade over time due to heat. Nature of the beast.

This is true but by the time it fails from over heating it will be time for a upgraded device anyway. Bottom line a fan is not needed in most cases.

Device should last a long time and can have extended life if some additional cooling can be used. I have have and use various routers as wireless APs from years ago here and there. Still work. Preventative maintenance helps in keeping electronic HW. Specially when you pay good money for stuff, I presume some would like to use and get the most life out of what they pay for. ;)

Late nite for that then. ;)

Let us know how it goes for you...

installed and testing

not apears problem in wifi 5ghz with 80 chanel with

but i have problems with iptv :-(

Last edited:
48 hours and not a single issue. Too early to call it, but things are looking good.
Which makes since since you were running the 382 branch of stock fw when you had no issues. Glad to hear things are looking up with this release.

11 days and no issues. Think it's fair to say 382.1 has officially resolved this particular problem.
Good to hear! I never made it more than 7 days without a problem on 380 (with 80Mhz channel width) -- so 11 days sounds real promising. (380 has been rock stable for me since setting 40Mhz, but I'd like to get back to 80 if I can.)

Can you post your 5G settings? I'm particularly interested in knowing if you have 80MHz (or Auto) width set, and whether you have any 80MHz capable clients. But seeing all your "working" combination of settings would be a good baseline since they are obviously working well so far!