Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

5Ghz Stops Broadcasting on Merlin 380.68_2 and above - AC3100

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by webgrease, Oct 3, 2017.

1. jim769

jim769 Very Senior Member

Send me the 382 code for the 3100 i will see if it works...

2. RMerlin

RMerlin Part of the Furniture

I`ll have to compile it first. Are you comfortable in using firmware recovery if it gets stuck at boot time? (unless you got serial attached, and can kill the acsd process when it gets stuck).

3. RMerlin

You'll have to forget about it. The RT-AC3100 GPl is missing part of its wireless driver. Sigh.

Getting so tired of dealing with this... Incomplete 3100 GPL. Corrupted AC88U GPL, replaced by one that contains the wrong files.

4. jumpycalm

jumpycalm New Around Here

@ScottW @webgrease @Kruegs @jim769 @DAVIZINHO Thank you so much for your effort. As per your suggestion, I changed to 80MHz from 20/40/80MHz. I also disabled universal beamforming. My 5GHz lasted for over 1 week until today, it stopped broadcasting. That's far better than before. As I mentioned before, my 5GHz never lasted more than a day! So my issue was not completely resolved, but much better than before. As I mentioned before, 80MHz is a must have function for me as I have gig internet in my home. 40MHz does cannot carry the throughput as 80Hz channel. I hope all of us can come up with a complete solution. I upgraded my firmware to 380.68_4 last week, I will keep 80MHz and monitor this issue. For now, I will call my issue has been partially resolved.

5. jim769

jim769 Very Senior Member

That's unfortunate i was looking forward to giving it a try. If you ever get the missing code i would still be willing to give it a shot. If worse comes to worse i will just use the recovery tool and load a different code.

And i certainly can understand your frustration in dealing with incomplete and corrupted sources. 382 may prove to be a major headache for you if Asus don't get there act together.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  6. DAVIZINHO

DAVIZINHO Occasional Visitor

the temporaly solution is set the chanel in 40mhz. other solutions not works :-(

7. ScottW

ScottW Regular Contributor

Wait, I never suggested setting 80MHz. I suggested setting 40MHz, as that is the only setting that has provided me stable 5GHz operation.

With the 80MHz setting, I continued to have 5GHz shutdowns -- often within minutes, although sometimes it lasted as long as 6 days. Just because it lasted 1 week this time, doesn't mean it will last that long the next time.

If you don't have a requirement for features in RMerlin, there are reports here that the problem is addressed in the latest stock firmware -- have you tried that?

Otherwise, as long as you have a requirement for 80MHz, this router is likely to continue giving you random 5GHz shutdowns -- until and unless a future firmware release contains a fix.

8. RedBatman89

RedBatman89 Regular Contributor

Happened to my laptop today. Wouldn't connect to 5ghz upon wake from sleep. I had to put laptop into airplane mode then back off for it to be recognized

9. ScottW

If restarting the client wifi fixed it, then that is a completely different problem than discussed above.

The problem discussed here is a complete shutdown of the router's 5GHz radio -- all clients are dropped, and no client can see any 5GHz transmission from the router. The router then has to be rebooted (or 5GHz toggled off and back on) to get it working again. Once the problem occurs, nothing done at any client fixes it.

10. RedBatman89

Still there is a chance they are related.

11. ScottW

Doubtful, as it is a completely different behavior. What you describe sounds like a client driver having a problem after sleep (not uncommon). It wasn't an issue with the router's 5GHz broadcast, which was evidently still up because the laptop reconnected successfully after you toggled its airplane mode.

The problem we've been discussing above is a complete 5GHz shutdown at the router. All 5GHz clients are dropped, because there is no signal, and the signal is not restored until the ROUTER or its 5G radio is reset. Resetting clients doesn't affect it, because the router simply isn't broadcasting any valid 5GHz signal at all.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017 at 7:32 PM
  12. RMerlin

This is a problem with your laptop, not the router. It's not uncommon with some buggy wireless drivers to have issues when coming out of sleep mode. Upgrade your driver.

13. RedBatman89

Well it hasn't happened again for awhile so I think it was just a minor bug or something. Plus last time I updated my wifi driver it caused my laptop to crash in sleep mode. So I'm using stock wifi driver.