What's new

5Ghz Stops Broadcasting on Merlin 380.68_2 and above - AC3100

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Good to hear! I never made it more than 7 days without a problem on 380 (with 80Mhz channel width) -- so 11 days sounds real promising. (380 has been rock stable for me since setting 40Mhz, but I'd like to get back to 80 if I can.)

Can you post your 5G settings? I'm particularly interested in knowing if you have 80MHz (or Auto) width set, and whether you have any 80MHz capable clients. But seeing all your "working" combination of settings would be a good baseline since they are obviously working well so far!

5G settings are 100% stock the way the firmware ships, with the exception of MAC address filtering turned on, and obviously turning on encryption. None of the variables previously tested in this thread have been changed from the defaults that are set upon loading. I have multiple devices capable of "Extended Channel Bonding / 80MHz" that connect to this network.

I had issues with the 5GHZ band dropping for quite a while so switched to the 2.4GHZ and mostly forgot about it. Today I had gigabit Internet installed so wanted to get the 5GHZ up and running to take advantage of the new fast connection.

Everything in the firmware shows the 5GHZ is running and I can see it in the list of networks but when I select it and enter the password I'm unable to even connect to it.

Anyone else had this issue? At this stage I can only imagine the 5GHZ radio hardware is dead but not excited about having to ship the router to Asus on my own dime and then get some crappy refurb unit in return. Really unacceptable for a $250 piece of kit.

If you disable any WPA on 5Ghz, can you connect to it while on OPEN Security mode? Then try WPA and Mixed Security modes. Then try WPA2 and AES only if you have that option.

I had issues with the 5GHZ band dropping for quite a while so switched to the 2.4GHZ and mostly forgot about it. Today I had gigabit Internet installed so wanted to get the 5GHZ up and running to take advantage of the new fast connection.

Everything in the firmware shows the 5GHZ is running and I can see it in the list of networks but when I select it and enter the password I'm unable to even connect to it.

Anyone else had this issue? At this stage I can only imagine the 5GHZ radio hardware is dead but not excited about having to ship the router to Asus on my own dime and then get some crappy refurb unit in return. Really unacceptable for a $250 piece of kit.

Thanks - I tried it on OPEN and still wasn't able to connect. Actually I only realized later that this forum was specifically for Merlin; I'm currently on stock firmware but since I can't even connect (rather than the network dropping) thinking it must be a dead 5GHZ radio.

You might try loading Merlin up and do same test, if same symptoms, then you can assume router is faulty. Needs to be replaced.

Thanks - I tried it on OPEN and still wasn't able to connect. Actually I only realized later that this forum was specifically for Merlin; I'm currently on stock firmware but since I can't even connect (rather than the network dropping) thinking it must be a dead 5GHZ radio.

Thanks - still no luck. I managed to persuade Asus to ship me out an advance RMA (with hold on my credit card) so hopefully the replacement unit has the new hardware and a 5GHZ radio that has a decent lifespan.

You might try loading Merlin up and do same test, if same symptoms, then you can assume router is faulty. Needs to be replaced.

Now you know. Hope the RMA goes well.