What's new

6 TB disk size on RT-AC68U - should I be worried?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hellboy2

Regular Contributor
Bought a new WD MyBook with 6 TB disk space. RT-AC68U would not recognise it, and I thought it was because of documented limitations, max. 4 TB:
http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/

Moved the disk over to my NAS, which said it was formatted as exFAT , not ext4 , so it made sense RT-AC68U could not recognise it. Formatted it as ext4, and now it works fine on RT-AC68U.

Should I be worried, when the documentation says "max 4 TB with ext4" ?

Should I be worried, when the documentation says "max 4 TB with ext4" ?
If you would partition the drive into 4 & 2 TB you could stop worrying - but not you have to continue... :D

If you would partition the drive into 4 & 2 TB you could stop worrying - but not you have to continue... :D
It is not really "I worry", but "I wonder", because the RT-AC68U seems quite happy to work with the full 6 TB partition. I wonder why the ASUS marketing people haven't updated their bragging to say this.

The outer limit on how important worries about about managing 6 terabytes of disk is about $100 dollars, these days..
Well, I had considered a new NAS. I already have an old NAS with 2x2 TB in RAID1 (Synology ds211), and I am quite happy with that, but decided not to use it here.
a) Performance and resilience is not really an issue for files on this disk
b) This USB3-based 6 TB disk cost 200 USD already, and a new NAS with more bays would add at least 250 USD to the cost.

It is used as a place holder for home media files, where max. concurrent users is probably never more than 2, so required delivery bandwidth is maybe 4-8 mbit/sec.

Tried copy a single 1 GB file from NAS via cable to router's USB3, and it ran at about 13 mbyte/sec. This was done from ssh into router, using mount -t cifs NAS on router, and cp file from router's Samba mountpount to router's USB3 mountpoint. Maybe some form of FTP or SCP would have been faster, but I have plenty time.

I moved the disk back to NAS' USB3, so that all files are still in one place, and mass file management shall not disturb router's performance. Copying files from old to new location within NAS, 1 TB done in 10 hours, which is about 25 mbyte/sec written to USB3. Not bad...

So, I did change my mind, and use part of my old NAS's feature to support this disk. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!