What's new

A quick question about Ai-Mesh with 2 APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yk101

Hi everyone, apologize if this has already been discussed elsewhere.

My setup is as follows PfSense -> managed switch -> APs.

I have ASUS ax88u and ac88u setup in AP mode to provide coverage. Everything works great, but I really wanted to mesh the SSIDs instead of using multiple roaming domains.

All routers have factory firmware with Ai-Mesh enabled, but neither one can locate the other node.

My question is rather simple - can 2 AP modes be linked *without* one of them being in the router mode?

All ideas welcomed! Thanks.

I have ASUS ax88u and ac88u setup in AP mode to provide coverage. Everything works great, but I really wanted to mesh the SSIDs instead of using multiple roaming domains.

All routers have factory firmware with Ai-Mesh enabled, but neither one can locate the other node.

My question is rather simple - can 2 AP modes be linked *without* one of them being in the router mode?

I would find that to be kind of impossible? :)

Why don't you just use the same SSID's in AP mode and see what your results are? Or, have you tested that already?

Is AiMesh the goal or is it to have a single SSID and hope the clients you use are smart enough to use it properly?

The lawyer answer is yes, so long as you have a 3rd node acting as the router to which these are connected :)

It's unclear in your statement. Can you connect these two routers via a wire? If so, set the router connected to your ISP connection to router mode, connect the WAN of the the other node to a LAN port (or a common switch) and set it to AP mode. Use the SAME SSID for all radios on ALL nodes, download a tool like WiFi analyzer and pick the best channels for each radio on each router (or use Auto to begin with but be prepared to do things manually. There's multiple threads that discuss "base config" setting changes to also make.

I see no benefit in the current implementation to use AiMesh if you can connect two devices by wire.

The lawyer answer is yes, so long as you have a 3rd node acting as the router to which these are connected :)

It's unclear in your statement. Can you connect these two routers via a wire? If so, set the router connected to your ISP connection to router mode, connect the WAN of the the other node to a LAN port (or a common switch) and set it to AP mode. Use the SAME SSID for all radios on ALL nodes, download a tool like WiFi analyzer and pick the best channels for each radio on each router (or use Auto to begin with but be prepared to do things manually. There's multiple threads that discuss "base config" setting changes to also make.

I see no benefit in the current implementation to use AiMesh if you can connect two devices by wire.

Two devices are connected to the managed switch via wire. My router is pfSense box - many reasons for that with speed being most prominent (I could get a max of 520 Mbps out of a single 1Gbps connection, and I have dual feeds).

Both ASUS devices are in AP mode.