What's new

AC-3200 384.4 Update WiFi Connectivity Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Deneteus

New Around Here
Problem: Upgraded to latest build and afterwards 2.4Ghz devices (multiple PS4's and a laptop) can no longer connect to WiFi even if I dump their settings attempt to reconnect.

Model RT-AC3200
Firmware Version 384.4
Firmware Build Thu Mar 15 20:15:33 UTC 2018 merlin@87a7ff0
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.7
Driver version wl1: Jan 23 2018 20:52:47 version 7.10.274.33 (r527132) FWID 01-1805fbaf

What I tried: Router Reboots, Dumping wireless settings, using autoconfig, Wiping PS4 WiFI settings, Wiping the PS4 entirely. Forgetting WIFI settings with Windows 10 and ASUS NIC, Tried using a wireless USB N adapter, Reset and reloaded router. I even tried connecting to guest networks with simple passwords or no password and my wireless device could not connect.

I had exported my settings before updating and I tried reverting settings also failed to produce any change.

I have 32 or more devices some connected by a mixture of Ethernet, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz.

Each device only has one active network connection be it Physical or WiFi.

Not everything is disconnected. My WeMo Wifi light switches and some wireless ethernet extenders are still connected via 2.4ghz. PS4 Pro is connected by 5ghz, Cameras, Alexa, Vizio TVs, Switch.

This was working with previous build? Any ideas what I should do besides revert?

Last edited:
Problem: Upgraded to latest build and afterwards 2.4Ghz devices (multiple PS4's and a laptop) can no longer connect to WiFi even if I dump their settings attempt to reconnect.

Model RT-AC3200
Firmware Version 384.4
Firmware Build Thu Mar 15 20:15:33 UTC 2018 merlin@87a7ff0
Bootloader (CFE) 1.0.1.7
Driver version wl1: Jan 23 2018 20:52:47 version 7.10.274.33 (r527132) FWID 01-1805fbaf

What I tried: Router Reboots, Dumping wireless settings, using autoconfig, Wiping PS4 WiFI settings, Wiping the PS4 entirely. Forgetting WIFI settings with Windows 10 and ASUS NIC, Tried using a wireless USB N adapter, Reset and reloaded router. I even tried connecting to guest networks with simple passwords or no password and my wireless device could not connect.

I had exported my settings before updating and I tried reverting settings also failed to produce any change.

I have 32 or more devices some connected by a mixture of Ethernet, 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz.

Not everything is disconnected. My WeMo Wifi light switches and some wireless ethernet extenders are still connected. PS4 Pro is connected by 5ghz, Cameras, Alexa, Vizio TVs, Switch.

This was working with previous build? Any ideas what I should do besides revert?
To eliminate some problems you could try setting up 1 connection per device.
Code:

To eliminate some problems you could try setting up 1 connection per device.
Code:

It's either one or the other not both at the same time. The only item that can possibly have 2 connections to the same network with IP addresses is the Laptop and it's not connected by a Physical ethernet cable, its using WiFi. The PS4's are all either or not both. They all work via ethernet with no issues. It's only when attempting to connect via WiFi that they fail.

So I question why you would say that when each network adapter has its own unique MAC address so there is no possible way you are going to have the same MAC on WiFI that you would have connected via Ethernet.

(Note I updated the first post to make that clear for anyone unfamiliar with PS4's that you can only use Ethernet or WiFi not both.)

I had the same issues with my AC-3200 and wireless connectivity. The problem for me seemed to be with older devices but it could have just been an issue with the 2.4ghz and not the 5ghz. I wasn't able to resolve the issue (and got tired of troubleshooting) so I reverted back to 384.3 and everything is working normally.

Things I tried but nothing worked:

• Rebooted router
  • Reset router to default settings (Factory Default ->Restore, not the initialize setting) and re-setup my wireless networks
  • Unplugged Router and let it sit for 1 minute and then power back on
  • Enabled Auto SmartConnect (band steering) (Didnt work so I disabled)
  • Disabled USB 3.0 from Advanced setting
  • Removed wifi profile from the WIndows 10 computer having the issue and attempted to re-enter the credentials
  • Changed wifi channel

Whats weird is that I have old and new devices that can connect via WiFi but the PS4's were saying its an issue with security (NW-21293-8).

So I changed my password to something else and then attempted to reconnect and it allowed the PS4 to connect.
Now after it connected I tried to disconnect and reconnect again and now its giving me the same error. So I changed the password again to something else and the PS4 is now connected via WiFi.

I tried this with the ASUS Laptop(Win 10) and it won't connect with either password.

upload_2018-3-21_18-59-32.png

Whats weird is that I have old and new devices that can connect via WiFi but the PS4's were saying its an issue with security (NW-21293-8).

So I changed my password to something else and then attempted to reconnect and it allowed the PS4 to connect.
Now after it connected I tried to disconnect and reconnect again and now its giving me the same error. So I changed the password again to something else and the PS4 is now connected via WiFi.

I tried this with the ASUS Laptop(Win 10) and it won't connect with either password.

View attachment 12410
Have you tried to change your SSID’s names?

Have you tried to change your SSID’s names?
I have not. I figured if the Guest Network would not allow a connection there was no point. I just reverted back to 384.3 version and now my laptop and PS4 can connect with no issues.

I installed the Alpha release (384.70) and I can connect with PS4 and Laptop. So it must have been a defect in the release.

I am having similar issues,
Running the Asus ac3100, i upgraded to the 384.4 firmware.
I normally have 1x2.4 2x5g and 2 guest networks at 2.4 both the guest networks are bandwidth limited to 15mb down and 3mb up. all my devices are given static ip addresses and named in the lan/dhcp settings.
I have time scheduling set for 5 of the devices that use one of the guest networks.
last night after upgrading number 1 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (Iphone) so i changed the password and name of the network this seemed to resolve the issue until i then discovered that number 2 guest network would not allow devices to connect to it (iphone, laptop) but allowed my phone to connect to it. I tried to rename and give a different password but nothing. the network is visible but will not allow connection states security issue. I then tried to setup a 5g guest network still the same issue. My son tried to connect to number 1 network and this will not allow him to connect but my daughter can still connect to number 1. My son is unable to connect to any of the guest networks.
This morning I switched off and unplugged the power cable and left for 5 mins. I rebooted and no devices could connect to any of the wireless networks. I had to get my wife to switch off and reboot as she was unable to connect her work laptop. this resolved her issues.I will know more when i get home.
I am going to try and remove all the guest networks and time scheduling firstly.
If this does not help i will revert back to previous firmware which i had installed until yesterday.

I had a similar issue with the 384.4 firmware: 2.4GHz network password seemed to work for a few devices (WeMo) but not most (Acer laptop, iPhone, Nest devices). Channel bandwidth and Wireless Mode settings made no difference. iPhone reported that password failed.

I tried to create a new Guest network for 2.4GHz but that had the same issue. I changed the SSID and then my password worked. Changed the SSID back to the original SSID and password would not work.

Reverted to 384.3 firmware and everything works the way it should: all 2.4GHz devices are now logged in.

I had a similar issue with the 384.4 firmware: 2.4GHz network password seemed to work for a few devices (WeMo) but not most (Acer laptop, iPhone, Nest devices). Channel bandwidth and Wireless Mode settings made no difference. iPhone reported that password failed.

I tried to create a new Guest network for 2.4GHz but that had the same issue. I changed the SSID and then my password worked. Changed the SSID back to the original SSID and password would not work.

Reverted to 384.3 firmware and everything works the way it should: all 2.4GHz devices are now logged in.
Changing the SSID and having it work and going back to old firmware and it working would suggest the reset to factory defaults was not complete before setting up again. Or just outright failed.

I reset to factory defaults and reloaded all settings manually, one at a time, including wireless. After reset, the router came back up with all wireless off, which I could only change using the Professional tab - a most unexpected annoyance. No prior settings were retained (that I could tell).

While this issue was occurring, why would newly entered 2.4GHz Guest networks have what appears to be the same password issue if they were new (and not duplicates of previous settings)?

I reset to factory defaults and reloaded all settings manually, one at a time, including wireless. After reset, the router came back up with all wireless off, which I could only change using the Professional tab - a most unexpected annoyance. No prior settings were retained (that I could tell).

While this issue was occurring, why would newly entered 2.4GHz Guest networks have what appears to be the same password issue if they were new (and not duplicates of previous settings)?
Reset to defaults and let router power up for 10 minutes and then start making changes. The reset takes longer than just the reboot would suggest.

I will try that later this evening. (running a cloud backup now) Same problems here. Very strange problem. Changing the key worked for some devices nut not for others. Very unstable this way.
Guest network only some devices do connect, most not.

I'm having a problem with disconnects and 2.4 not working , but only on my realtek clients , allothers no problem on both bands

just tried the waiting "trick" but to no avail.
Restored the firmware to 384.3 and everything is working again. So there seems a guest problem with 384.4 and at least my rt3200.

Went back to 384.3 , realtek clients now connect on both bands , funny as the intel and Athero clients had no trouble , and the realtek only after 3 days on 384.4 , up until the 3rd day no troubles then they refused to connect on 2.4 and stayed connected for 5 minutes on 5

I have the same issue with 384.4 on AC3100 and AC68, reverting both to 384.3 fixed the issue for me. I've had both on the 384.x releases since they were pushed with no issues until 384.4 so I think they must be something up with the 384.4 release.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!