What's new

AC-86u wireless download speed is exactly half of the Ethernet speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@Martin1982 I really don't have any ideas why this is happening. Just for diagnostic purposes you could try the following:

1) Put you ISP router back in service and confirm the internet speeds.
2) Turn off the WiFi on the ISP router.
3) Connect the Asus' WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the ISP router.
4) Reconfigure the Asus' WAN connection type to be "Automatic IP" with the other settings at the default values.
5) Make sure the Asus' LAN IP address range is different to the ISP's supplied router (the Asus should warn you if this is the case).

Now test your wired and wireless speeds again when connected to the Asus. If you now get full speeds we can assume the problem lies with the Asus' PPPoE connection type.

@Martin1982 I really don't have any ideas why this is happening. Just for diagnostic purposes you could try the following:

1) Put you ISP router back in service and confirm the internet speeds.
2) Turn off the WiFi on the ISP router.
3) Connect the Asus' WAN port to one of the LAN ports on the ISP router.
4) Reconfigure the Asus' WAN connection type to be "Automatic IP" with the other settings at the default values.
5) Make sure the Asus' LAN IP address range is different to the ISP's supplied router (the Asus should warn you if this is the case).

Now test your wired and wireless speeds again when connected to the Asus. If you now get full speeds we can assume the problem lies with the Asus' PPPoE connection type.

@ColinTaylor Thanks...OK, I tried that and confirmed the speeds as 400/35 on the ISP router. Did everything else but never got an Internet connection. Attached is the LAN setting....does that need to be changed when doing the above? Thanks.

upload_2019-6-7_13-5-39.jpeg

@ColinTaylor Thanks...OK, I tried that and confirmed the speeds as 400/35 on the ISP router. Did everything else but never got an Internet connection. Attached is the LAN setting....does that need to be changed when doing the above? Thanks.
You would only need to change that if the ISP router's LAN is using the same address range. You might as well change it to something like 192.168.50.1 just in case, just remember what you changed it to so you can still log into the GUI ;). (You'll probably need to reboot your PC after making this change)

You would only need to change that if the ISP router's LAN is using the same address range. You might as well change it to something like 192.168.50.1 just in case, just remember what you changed it to so you can still log into the GUI ;). (You'll probably need to reboot your PC after making this change)
@colin Taylor OK, I have done all of that and now I am getting the 400/35 when connecting with the Asus.

@colin Taylor OK, I have done all of that and now I am getting the 400/35 when connecting with the Asus.
OK that's interesting. So it sounds like it's an "issue" with Asus' implementation of PPPoE. This was actually an issue in the past, albeit with the older MIPS routers. In that case AFAICT there was no resolution because what fixed it for one user broke it for another. In either case it was dependent on the CTF code supplied by Asus. So it looks like you'd have to report it directly to Asus and hope they can fix it.

I don't think you ever mentioned what firmware you were using. If you're using stock Asus try Merlin's, or vice versa. Alternatively just live with the setup you got at the moment. Obviously it's not ideal (and you do have a double-NAT setup), but it's an option.

OK that's interesting. So it sounds like it's an "issue" with Asus' implementation of PPPoE. This was actually an issue in the past, albeit with the older MIPS routers. In that case AFAICT there was no resolution because what fixed it for one user broke it for another. In either case it was dependent on the CTF code supplied by Asus. So it looks like you'd have to report it directly to Asus and hope they can fix it.

I don't think you ever mentioned what firmware you were using. If you're using stock Asus try Merlin's, or vice versa. Alternatively just live with the setup you got at the moment. Obviously it's not ideal (and you do have a double-NAT setup), but it's an option.

I can't see the issue? The Asus is now matching the ISP supplied modem. :)

@ColinTaylor This is the firmware version that is currently on the router and it tells me that it's the latest......Yes, as you say, it seems to be an issue with the PPPoE. I don't know much about that sort of stuff and maybe it's specific to my ISP (KCOM in Hull UK)

upload_2019-6-7_14-46-50.png

Yeah, I guess I will just have to live with having two routers running....lol....wifi is turned off on the ISP router now and I am connecting through the Asus at full speed at the moment.

Many thanks for your help and the help and advice from other posters here. It really is very much appreciated!!! Cheers!!!

Attachments

• upload_2019-6-7_14-45-31.png
    upload_2019-6-7_14-45-31.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 293
I didn't realise you were in the UK :D. I'd never heard of KCOM before so I assumed it was one of those wacky American providers. IIRC Hull has it's own local telephone company with the strangely coloured telephone boxes.

I didn't realise you were in the UK :D. I'd never heard of KCOM before so I assumed it was one of those wacky American providers. IIRC Hull has it's own local telephone company with the strangely coloured telephone boxes.
@ColinTaylor ....yes that's the one. Cream coloured phone boxes. Just finished rolling out their ultrafast fibre broadband here.

Hmmm... My Connection is PPPoE too. I wonder if this is contributing to my issues also?I'm in the UK on Zen Ultrafast with an FTP connection.

Might it be worth me going through the same steps as Martin and putting in a double NAT to get the wifi speeds up to scratch?

Hmmm... My Connection is PPPoE too. I wonder if this is contributing to my issues also?I'm in the UK on Zen Ultrafast with an FTP connection.

Might it be worth me going through the same steps as Martin and putting in a double NAT to get the wifi speeds up to scratch?
@FadgewackeR ....With you having similar problems I am wondering if it something to do with PPPoE that UK ISPs use? I followed the advice from ColinTaylor and now I am getting the full 400/35 on wifi throughout my house. The only downside is that the ISP's crappy router is still in the loop (with wireless turned off) but I guess I will just have to live with that until a firmware update possibly solves the PPPoE issue.

@FadgewackeR ....With you having similar problems I am wondering if it something to do with PPPoE that UK ISPs use? I followed the advice from ColinTaylor and now I am getting the full 400/35 on wifi throughout my house. The only downside is that the ISP's crappy router is still in the loop (with wireless turned off) but I guess I will just have to live with that until a firmware update possibly solves the PPPoE issue.

I’ll get myself another router in the loop later and see if it makes a difference Martin.

If so, I’ll certainly lodge the issue with Asus. As my issue differs slightly from yours I’ll start another thread up to cover that with some data to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll get myself another router in the loop later and see if it makes a difference Martin.

If so, I’ll certainly lodge the issue with Asus. As my issue differs slightly from yours I’ll start another thread up to cover that with some data to back it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@FadgewackeR ...I only had fibre connected at the end of May. As part of the troubleshooting I connected up my TP Link router which was working fine when I was getting Internet through the phone line but was giving me the same results as my new Asus router when connected to the ISP fibre modem. Thinking that UK fibre PPPoE maybe different to everywhere else?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!