What's new

AC1750 AiMesh Wi-Fi System - Cell phone bars fluctuating, some laptop lag

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JT1750

New Around Here
I recently purchased and set up the ASUS AiMesh Wif-Fi System AC1750 RT-AC66U B1 2 Pack. I've been having non-stop issues with Spectrum for past month, finally they came to 5th appt yesterday and replaced modem (2nd modem replacement in a month), and I decided to go from their router to this ASUS Mesh system.

I'm still not getting a good 2G signal or the speeds I should be getting. The bars on my Samsung Galaxy S9 cell phone keep fluctuating, and I had a film pause a couple times while watching through my browser from Film Freeway. Speeds are fluctuating from 17 - 39 - 16, and in the past, I've gotten in the 70s and 80s on 2G. Spectrum did all the tests on the new modem and says it all checks out.

I've switched the channel in the ASUS router admin from Auto - was on Channel 10, to 6. Spectrum supervisor suggested downloading wifi analyzer app, which I did, and 6 was less congested than 10. That didn't help. I've restarted phone. That didn't help.

5G speed on phone is better but the bars still fluctuate. Something I need cell phone internet in different parts of house, so I'd like a strong 2G signal throughout house, and from my understanding this ASUS mesh system should accomplish that.

Any other suggestions to try?

I recently purchased and set up the ASUS AiMesh Wif-Fi System AC1750 RT-AC66U B1 2 Pack. I've been having non-stop issues with Spectrum for past month, finally they came to 5th appt yesterday and replaced modem (2nd modem replacement in a month), and I decided to go from their router to this ASUS Mesh system.

I'm still not getting a good 2G signal or the speeds I should be getting. The bars on my Samsung Galaxy S9 cell phone keep fluctuating, and I had a film pause a couple times while watching through my browser from Film Freeway. Speeds are fluctuating from 17 - 39 - 16, and in the past, I've gotten in the 70s and 80s on 2G. Spectrum did all the tests on the new modem and says it all checks out.

I've switched the channel in the ASUS router admin from Auto - was on Channel 10, to 6. Spectrum supervisor suggested downloading wifi analyzer app, which I did, and 6 was less congested than 10. That didn't help. I've restarted phone. That didn't help.

5G speed on phone is better but the bars still fluctuate. Something I need cell phone internet in different parts of house, so I'd like a strong 2G signal throughout house, and from my understanding this ASUS mesh system should accomplish that.

Any other suggestions to try?

My install notes can be used to install your 2xRT-AC66U_B1 AiMesh. Use a different SSID for each band.

This FAQ explains the factory default reset. When the firmware changes significantly, it's advisable to reset it before configure it. It's also advisable to do the same before troubleshooting further to save time trying to troubleshoot firmware weirdness.

There is new AiMesh 2.0 firmware in beta here. The current RC2-8 build is running fairly well. You can either try it now or expect it soon. If you install the beta firmware, you will still have to install the released version later. The AC66U uses the same firmware as the AC68U.

Once you know your install should be solid, you can judge symptoms. It's still possible you have new hardware issues and/or the usual Wi-Fi tuning issues for your environment.

The best way to judge your ISP speeds is to wire a PC to the modem and perform a speedtest.net. Then do same wired to your router LAN. That will baseline things.

OE

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!