1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

AC3100 Hardware Rev from nvram

Discussion in 'ASUSWRT - Official' started by Smokindog, May 15, 2019.

1. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor

Can any determination be made about the hardware revision from NVRAM variables. I posted in another thread about my "fun and games" with the AC3100 refurb/open box being offered for $79.99 from newegg.

I have two in service and have been trying to get a third for backup. I've had to RMA 2 already for hardware and/or radio issues. Just received my "lucky number 3" and all seems well with it thus-far.

The two in service were picked up a couple months ago for $89.99 and are a Rev A5 and A2 per the tags on the back of the devices. The currently shipping product is $79.99 but the "refurb S/N" sticker has covered the Hardware Rev on all 3 I've received from this batch. I don't want to peel it back until the 90 day limited warranty expires.

Here's the data I thought may help (but maybe not). I tried a "nvram show | grep -i A5" in the MAIN router but found nothing that jumped out. I then tried "nvram show | grep -i rev" to build the table below. I see a difference in the "chiprev", "wl_corerev" and "wl0_corerev" but that's it and it doesn't directly correlate to A5 vs A2. Also interesting was that "cpurev" was not set in the MAIN and DINETTE routers but the variable did not exist in the one I just received (MSTR) MAIN is in Router Mode, DINETTE and MSTR are in AP mode.

Attached Files:

2. Gar

Gar Senior Member

They have the 3200 for $99.95 today.

The refurb sticker covers my 1900p data too.

3. Smokindog

Smokindog Regular Contributor

FWIW, the firmware that was on the router was more than 2 years old (circa Feb 2017 per SNB threads)

Attached Files: