What's new

AC5300 with PCE-AC88 Speed Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Malov

New Around Here
I have an Asus AC5300 router running Merlin 380.63_2 firmware. I was using a Asus PCE-AC68 wireless card getting a solid 1.3Gbps (About 10ft apart) with the Asus software that was included and recently decided to upgrade to the PCE-AC88 to get 2.1Gbps. I noticed that the PCE-AC88 doesn't come with any software other then the driver to install and I have been having major speed issues with this card. After doing some configuring with the router I was finally able to get 1.6Gbps to 1.7Gbps but I am no where near getting the full potential out of the card. I'm in desperate need to get the max speed due to my computer being a media center for the entire home streaming 4k video content to many TV's and projectors. I have changed many settings in the router and I believe the problem doesn't lye with that but the wireless card itself due to the fact that I'm not able to configure any settings for it like I was with the PCE-AC68 card that came with the Asus software. Any advice would be great.

That doesn't include any software it is just the driver.

All you need is the driver - the asus value added stuff isn't very good, and it's not very helpful...

the good stuff is inside the advanced tab over in the device manager...

All you need is the driver - the asus value added stuff isn't very good, and it's not very helpful...

the good stuff is inside the advanced tab over in the device manager...
I have looked at the advanced settings but haven't seen anything out of ordinary that needs to be configured. I had ASUS on the phone yesterday and they believe its an issue with the driver. I waiting on their R&D department to get back with me about the issue.

After doing some configuring with the router I was finally able to get 1.6Gbps to 1.7Gbps but I am no where near getting the full potential out of the card

What do you expect from this card - it's a 4*4:4 card if I recall, so 1700 is about as fast as it will go at the PHY rate, which counting for overhead and all, should give you about 800-900 Mb/Sec at the IP layer...

What do you expect from this card - it's a 4*4:4 card if I recall, so 1700 is about as fast as it will go at the PHY rate, which counting for overhead and all, should give you about 800-900 Mb/Sec at the IP layer...
If you haven't already read my post the AC68 speed is 1.3Gbps which I get after a little tweaking and it is rock solid. The AC88 is advertised of getting 2.1Gbps which has speed fluctuating all over the place and won't reach the advertised speeds. Even after speaking with the Asus tech department they confirmed there is a issue with the driver that they need to address and they have been getting reports about it. I'm looking for answers from anyone with the same setup.

OP, I have the same setup as you and when i connect the antennas direct to the PCI card i get around 1.6gbps link rates, however when i use the external antenna mount my link rate shoots up to 2.0gbps so maybe you need to use the external mount for the antennas, if you're not doing that already.

OP, I have the same setup as you and when i connect the antennas direct to the PCI card i get around 1.6gbps link rates, however when i use the external antenna mount my link rate shoots up to 2.0gbps so maybe you need to use the external mount for the antennas, if you're not doing that already.

I was assuming he was using the mount - but that's an excellent tip and observation - best to get the antenna's away from the case, both for a better RF path, and also to get away from the internal EM interference of the computer itself.

I am already using the antenna mount and have it placed just above my monitors on the wall.

I am already using the antenna mount and have it placed just above my monitors on the wall.
Ever since the card when on sale all I hear about is it can't reach advertised speeds.
I notice this on their product page.
Disclaimer:
*PCE-AC88 is a 4x4 MU-MIMO adapter. For full MU-MIMO operation it requires a MU-MIMO router with more than four spatial streams. Such routers are not currently available, but are expected to appear at a future date.

How can this be? I thought 5300 and AC88 are 4x4 MU-MIMO routers.

How can this be? I thought 5300 and AC88 are 4x4 MU-MIMO routers.

Welcome to the wonderful/wacky world of MU-MIMO... maybe try disabling that little feature on the router since Broadcom has had some issues there...

Sorry, in that case I don't know what else to suggest :(

Hello guys, sorry to revive old thread.

I have an Asus AC88U and changed from PCE-AC66u to PCE-AC88u.
The link speed came up from 1.0 to 1.5gbps.
Im using the mount and the router and the client are on the same room.

What is the option here? What do I need to do to maximize bandwidth?

Cheers

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!