What's new

Ac66u + RT53 Any configuration (repeater, highway, media bridge) dies violently after a while

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyber7

New Around Here
And I become unable to get access to the ac66u, not even after a restart. The asus device discovery has this to say: "Your computer and your wireless router are on a different subnet mask"

I used to love my asus.

The same thing happens when if I use the mobile broadband WAN connected via usb to phone or wirelessly too, I just remembered.

Firmware is the latest supported merlin firmware for ac66u. The RT53 is stock.

Last edited:
Power down your whole network.

Wait for 5 minutes.

Power on your router and wait for 15 minutes.

Power on your client devices. :)

you could change to Johns fork to still get security updates for your old units.

I got it working again, both repeater and ac66u setup in media bridge after a hard reset of the ac66u, went to bed, and evidently it broke after just half an our.

Gonna try moving the repeater to see if I can cut the 66u from the equation.

Update: I am now only using the Ac53 and it can connect to the AP and give me a connection comfortably, thus leaving the ac66u out.

I am fairly certain the ac66u chokes, on anything other than a cabled-wan connection.

Last edited:
I really can't follow which device is the main router and which is being used as a repeater (or media bridge). It seems to vary from sentence to sentence.:confused:

I really can't follow which device is the main router and which is being used as a repeater (or media bridge). It seems to vary from sentence to sentence.:confused:

oh yeah, sorry for that, I didnt explain how its setup properly.

The Ac53 repeater is setup as a repeater, from a third device, my neighbours wifi. So far the Ac53 has worked flawlessly.

Setting up a ac66u however as a second repeater/media bridge to the Ac53 makes the ac66u choke to death in 15 minutes.

If I scrub everything and put my 4G unlimited plan mobile device in the usb port on the ac66u and set it up like that, it chokes to death in 15 minutes.

oh yeah, sorry for that, I didnt explain how its setup properly.

The Ac53 repeater is setup as a repeater, from a third device, my neighbours wifi. So far the Ac53 has worked flawlessly.

Setting up a ac66u however as a second repeater/media bridge to the Ac53 makes the ac66u choke to death in 15 minutes.

Not only are you choking your internet speeds, but your (nice) neighbor's too! :)

Does he/she know you're piggybacking off of them?

I would suggest the following configuration instead:

Use one router as a Media Bridge. Plug a LAN Port from that router to the WAN Port of the other router that you use in Router Mode. :)

Not only are you choking your internet speeds, but your (nice) neighbor's too! :)

Does he/she know you're piggybacking off of them?

I would suggest the following configuration instead:

Use one router as a Media Bridge. Plug a LAN Port from that router to the WAN Port of the other router that you use in Router Mode. :)

Lol no I am not choking anything, I get maybe 25Mbits throughput from the current setup, I had 20ish Mbits with the ac66u - media bridge - rp-ac53 - Wireless AP setup. His speed is 100Mbit.

The problem is the ac66u chokes but it is 6-7 years old now so I cant really complain.

Lol no I am not choking anything, I get maybe 25Mbits throughput from the current setup, I had 20ish Mbits with the ac66u - media bridge - rp-ac53 - Wireless AP setup. His speed is 100Mbit.

The problem is the ac66u chokes but it is 6-7 years old now so I cant really complain.

If the AC53 is capable of Bridge Mode, it should give both of you better speeds (and use the RT-AC66U as a router). :)

When you are using the connection in Repeater Mode, his effective ISP speeds were cut drastically, btw. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!