What's new

AC68U A2 vs AC66U B1

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

koimr1

New Around Here
I've tried to find an answer on my own but... well, I am not as smart as I thought I was. :)

Given the choice between the two devices in the title and keeping in mind the AC68U is running a lower clock speed, which device would you choose?

Most devices would using 5GHz instead of 2.4.

More detail: I have a mesh-setup with a AC68U A2 and a AC66U B1 node and now have another AC66U B1 and am deciding whether or not to move the AC68U to another entirely-separate location and replace it with the AC66U (so the new mesh would be two AC66Us) or not.

The A2 is dual-core 800MHz as you know, vs. the RT-AC66U_B1's dual-core 1GHz processor. With all other aspects being identical, except for the insignificant 2.4GHz band 'only' 450Mbps top capabilities (vs. the '68's 600Mbps top end), the newer '_B1 is the better buy today.

Possibly even cheaper than that 'classic' A2. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Asus_routers

Working with the classics so many years after their prime is great (but they're so slow). :) Working with modern hardware is better though. :)

I would be considering the '_B1 or better today. :)

It almost only the choice between a vertical standing box (RT-AC68U) or laying flat box (RT-AC66U-B1).

And different antennae design. RT-AC66U B1 has kind of cheaper looking non-removable antennae.

And you can easily overclock your AC68U to 1GHz or even 1200MHz too. They use same hardware. My first 68U came with 666MHz, then Asus delivered a patch to run 800MHz, later I found the commands to OC upto 1G or 1200M.
But sorry, not allowed here to post them. You may find them on UKtechhub forum.

Last edited:
And you can easily overclock your AC68U to 1GHz or even 1200MHz too. They use same hardware. My first 68U came with 666MHz, then Asus deliverd a patch to run 800MHz, later I found the commands to OC upto 1G or 1200M.
But sorry, not allowed here to post them. You may find them on UKtechhub forum.
Really. I thought the only banned speech was pertaining to flashing ASUS or Merlin to certain other hardware. OC'ing has nothing to do with that.

It has when you want to have it permanent written in cfe with the 2 known asuscfe-commands because you can use similar commands for other usage like changing the region or make it region-free which arent allowed to discuss here even if you move to another continent.

Last edited:
If the price difference is not a restriction, I would still get the RT-AC68U A2. It is proven solid hardware router, has smaller footprint, more firmware options available (Tomato anyone?), removable antennae (in case I want to use it as a router only) and I remember it also had slightly better WiFi than RT-AC66U B1 (antennae design difference, perhaps). And I don't like the USB port at the front of RT-AC66U B1. USB stick there looks really weird, a USB cable to external HDD even worse. I tested the RT-AC66U B1 for less than 2 weeks only and send it back.

Thanks everyone for all the responses and advice, I do appreciate that.

I ended up replacing the 68 with the 66 so now my mesh is two AC66Us. Surprisingly (or not!) the new 66 seems to "work better" than the 68. I had the 68 in the basement and the other 66 on the top floor (three floors here), when in the basement devices would stay connected to the 66 instead of the much-closer 68. Now I can actually see the signal bars decrease as I walk down the stairs from the top floor and then increase when nearer and into the basement ie switch from the top floor router to the basement one and vice versa. Quite pleased.

The 68 will be going to another location where it will be replacing a very aged 1200G+. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!