What's new

[AC68U] Download master does not download torrents

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I would say use Merlin's firmware
and see from there
our revert back to the firmware before the last one
I use Merlin firmware and have done a few torrents on download master and did not have a problem but that was only a few times

There are threads on the forum explaining how to install stock Transmission, which is more up-to-date than Download Master.

But keep in mind that in general, Bittorrent by its design doesn't work very well on such low-powered devices. It's very memory and disk IO intensive.

system log attached... Download Master stucks !

Thanks for the immediate replies guys.
You sure are better support than ASUS vip ! :confused:

When the DM sget stucks, freezes the following msg displays in the system log.

Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: Couldn't bind port 51413 on ::: Address already in use (Is another copy of Transmission already running?) (net.c:371)

Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: UDP Failed to set receive buffer: requested 4194304, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:78)

Jul 25 21:16:14 transmission-daemon[29782]: UDP Failed to set send buffer: requested 1048576, got 241664 (tr-udp.c:89)

I've attached detailed systemlog.txt file below.

I think it has the problems about the firmware IMO.
Maybe this would help you modifying the new official F/W 3.0.0.4.376_1663 (newest F/W 28,55 (MBytes) 2014.07.18 update ) Download Master Version : 3.1.0.88 (latest available) for RT-AC68U

If you need, I can post the config file too... but I didn't do anything different except the default factory settings.
Tried every possible thing;
- Reset to factory settings
- ReLoaded the F/W
- Formatted the brand new HDD (which is reported as having error in the RTAC-68U menu with a red circle but works flawlessly. and found that this is a common F/W bug as to be expected from ASUS)
- Single file download, multiple files download...

Nothing !
Nothing helps !
DM freezes in 5 hours max.

@RMerlin:
I'll try out your Merlin Firmware but you didn't modify the latest official F/W 3.0.0.4.376_1663 and can you modify the DM (Download Master) too ?

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    13.1 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Download Master is actually a separate project from the firmware. The source code is not publicly available, and this would be n whole different project just on its own.

What format is the disk? If it's NTFS you're just asking for trouble. But if you want to keep it as NTFS, at least make a separate partition formatted as EXT3 (suggestion: your optware partition) and make it large enough to hold as many incomplete torrents as you download once. And have Download Master use this partition for InComplete files. Then the Complete folder can be on NTFS partition. But this will cause download to halt every time DM moves the complete torrent to the Complete folder. So better you format your whole disk as EXT3.

DM web interface is horrible, install and use Transmission-Remote-GUI fom here https://code.google.com/p/transmisson-remote-gui/
gives you easier access to options too.

Note: if you change DM settings directly at the config file (Download2/config/settings.json) you have to stop DM first, otherwise it overwrites the settings file when stopping/restarting. /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 stop , then edit the config file, then /opt/S50downloadmaster.1 start .

Finally, to get rid of the buffer size issues, enter these commands into your /jffs/scripts/init-start

echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
echo 8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes​

Disclaimer: tested on AC66.

Thanks for the advice about transmission but I'm mostly using ED2K network.
Which transmission doesn't support. However I'll try them.

The thing which I can NOT understand nor accept is the ASUS part !
How can a global leader in computers can manufacture a non-working product and advertise it as a super-duper feature all over the world ?

This is NOT acceptable. We are not their lab monkeys !
If you advertise a feature, it should work completely...This is why people are paying $215 for, not for a shirt that doesn't work!
You may update/upgrade it by time according to your customers needs but it should work flawlessly in the 1st launch as advertised !

Check this 2 year old video by ASUS on youtube... This is the advertisement for Download Master for ASUS Routers.
... and it is NOT doing anything, ever mentioned in the video !!! This is going some where else... like False Advertisement !

You can't sell people a non-working shirt and get their $215 ! It's NOT that easy !!!

http://youtu.be/Em6Hddyytlw

Finally the product page of RT-AC68U ( Download and stream anywhere )
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice about transmission but I'm mostly using ED2K network.
Which transmission doesn't support. However I'll try them.

The thing which I can NOT understand nor accept is the ASUS part !
How can a global leader in computers can manufacture a non-working product and advertise it as a super-duper feature all over the world ?

This is NOT acceptable. We are not their lab monkeys !
If you advertise a feature, it should work completely...This is why people are paying $215 for, not for a shirt that doesn't work!
You may update/upgrade it by time according to your customers needs but it should work flawlessly in the 1st launch as advertised !

Check this 2 year old video by ASUS on youtube... This is the advertisement for Download Master for ASUS Routers.
... and it is NOT doing anything, ever mentioned in the video !!! This is going some where else... like False Advertisement !

You can't sell people a non-working shirt and get their $215 ! It's NOT that easy !!!

http://youtu.be/Em6Hddyytlw

Finally the product page of RT-AC68U ( Download and stream anywhere )
http://www.asus.com/Networking/RTAC68U/

Just because it doesn't work with your particular usage scenario does not mean it doesn't work for anyone at all. There are quite a lot of people actually using it without an issue. You have to keep in mind that a 800 MHz router with 256 MB of RAM cannot handle the same load as a 3 GHz 4 GB RAM desktop PC. You have to limit the number of concurrent connections to reasonable limits.

Based on your log, the problem is that your router is running out of RAM to handle the load you are asking it to. You can also setup a swap file if you really need to use it for a higher load than the hardware is designed to handle - check on the forums for a few pointers on how to enable a swap file.

OK, I will try that but the point is I know no one that can use DM without problems.

I don't have your extensive knowledge Merlin but if the router is running out of ram shouldn't it reboot, lock it self up or lose connection, do something weird?

The logs doesn't show anything about the DM and those malfunction logs were recorded at the rebooting, not right at the freezing moment of DM.

This locking, freezing issue of DM is NOT depended on the load, I tried it with 2-4-5 ED2K files and result is always the same.
It can't survive 5-7 hours... It will definitely get stuck, freeze !
Try it by yourself & you will see.

It is full of Bugware, not Firmware !

Finally, to get rid of the buffer size issues, enter these commands into your /jffs/scripts/init-start

echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default
echo 8388608 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/wmem_max
echo 1048576 > /proc/sys/net/core/optmem_max
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/vm/min_free_kbytes​

Disclaimer: tested on AC66.

I couldn't find the "/jffs/scripts/init-start" to post the memory commands, where is it exactly ?

OK, I will try that but the point is I know no one that can use DM without problems.

I don't have your extensive knowledge Merlin but if the router is running out of ram shouldn't it reboot, lock it self up or lose connection, do something weird?

Not necessarily. If transmission is the process that's unable to allocate sufficient memory, then it will be the first one to be affected, as the memory allocation requests it makes will fail. The rest of the firmware is far more static in its memory usage, it will rarely experience a spike in memory usage. Those services such as dnsmasq will only try to allocate a few KBs now and then.

I couldn't find the "/jffs/scripts/init-start" to post the memory commands, where is it exactly ?

In both cases it's about using the Linux command line through telnet/ssh.

You need to be running Merlin firmware, willing to invest some time and effort into learning how to use it (start here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki ) ; create a /jffs partition to yourself and the abovementioned dir tree, where init-start is then automatically executed at system startup.

On Asus firmware you can still telnet to your router and enter the commands manually one at a time, after all routers are not usually booted often, so it's not an impossible amount of trouble. I don't remember if "top" command is included in vanilla Asus firmware, if it is, it will show you how much cpu time your processes using, free memory etc.

Edit: don't know what's causing you to run out of memory so badly, i've set DM to use total max 128 connections for torrents and no problems. You should aim for the least amount which will saturate your connection to at least 90%.

I know its really, REALLY old, but just to sayin now it's working and I don't have a problem with it.
The only problem is with the Uility for Windows. It's always closing with errors, but that's okay for me anyway.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!