What's new

AC68U Port Forwarding Stops Working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rturnock

Regular Contributor
I saw some other threads on this but they seemed to be specific issues not being set up correctly. I have the latest 384.8_2 though the problem started with my previous version.

I have RDP ports forwarded from incoming ports 3390, 3391, 3392, 3394, 3395 to port 3389 on each of five computers for all protocols. After a few hours forward stops on all but 3390. To get it working again I have to remove and reenter each forward rule then after a while all but 3390 stop again. Each forwarded port comes back to life when it is deleted and reentered.

Any ideas. Nothing had changed for weeks before the problem started.

Richard

Thanks or the response, I suppose I should have known to look. All my port forwards are listed in the same order as on the WAN page. Four of the ports actually forward based on both an Open Ports check and actually connecting. I see no pattern one RDP port 339x works 900, 8080 and 15961 out of a total of 17, 13 not counting the double entries for protocol "Both".

I removed and reentered one port forward and it did not start to work. I thought that had worked yesterday but perhaps I did something else as well.

In the past, before some data was moved to JFFS, I think NVRAM was an issue but mine is at: 56353 / 65536 bytes, more space would be nice but not likely the problem.

Perhaps totally irrelevant I wasn't being logged out of the router because the timeout was set to zero, when I set it to 600 seconds the router disconnected from the internet. I had to reboot which went very slow through 10-13% after which the routes are all listed on System Log -> Port Forwarding but only the four of 17 actually work.

I did check that, indeed a machine has the port open for each Forwarded Port. Also, to be surer, I changed one of the forwarded ports that didn't work to point to the same internal port that does work. I.e. I have external 3390 forwarding 3389 on machine-x and I changed 3394 which did not forward to 3389 machine-y to point to 3389 on machine-x and the port remained opened, when I put it back to machine-y the port closed.

I am doing "Apply" after every change.

I did check that, indeed a machine has the port open for each Forwarded Port. Also, to be surer, I changed one of the forwarded ports that didn't work to point to the same internal port that does work. I.e. I have external 3390 forwarding 3389 on machine-x and I changed 3394 which did not forward to 3389 machine-y to point to 3389 on machine-x and the port remained opened, when I put it back to machine-y the port closed.
The way I read this is that you proved that the port forwarding was working but the port on machine-y was not open. So it sounds like a problem with machine-y.

Never mind!

It was a McAfee thing. Without any notice it changed the RDP firewall rules on several computers, but not all. For some reason removing and recreating the port forwarding worked with the firewall for a while then stopped working.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!