What's new

RT-AX86U Unable to port-forward port 80 (others working)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

erkdahl

Occasional Visitor
On my Asus RT-AX86U, port-forwarding for port 80 does not work. All other ports work fine, it is just port 80 that has an issue...
Anyone know what can help?
I have tried disabling http for router web-ui. Only have HTTPS on 8443 now.
I have tried disabling Asus router DDNS lets encrypt (which works btw, so i guess that means my ISP has not blocked port 80).
I have tried disabling Asus router DDNS.
I have tried disabling Asus router Firewall.
It doesnt look like I have AiCloud enabled.

I dont know what else to do? Where else to look?
I have a web-server running on port 80 and 443 on my Synology NAS.
Both ports port-forwarded in Asus.
Inside my network both ports work fine. Outside my network only 443 works.
I need port 80 working in order to set up lets encrypt on my custom domain in synology...

Anyone know what might be going wrong?
1692081468323.png

And what does this actually mean?
"When your network's firewall is disabled and you set 80 as the HTTP server's port range for your WAN setup, then your http server/web server would be in conflict with RT-AX86U's web user interface."
I cannot make any sense of it...

And what does this actually mean?
"When your network's firewall is disabled and you set 80 as the HTTP server's port range for your WAN setup, then your http server/web server would be in conflict with RT-AX86U's web user interface."
I cannot make any sense of it...

That shouldn't apply to you. The router succeeding at lets encrypt doesn't necessarily mean your ISP isn't blocking the port. Can you access using your IP on port 80, eliminating all DNS and certificate stuff?

Last edited:
you need to setup local port too.

if this will not help please try, for testing, setup DMZ.

If you don't specify a local port it uses the same as the external port.

Yes, but since asuscomm DDNS is able to issue a lets-encrypt certificate on my custom Asuscomm then it means port 80 is actually not blocked right? Because it uses port 80 for HTTP challenge verification?
View attachment 52365

It must use port 80 against an Asus server. Your router is not listening on 80 on the WAN. So that isn't testing your ISP blocking it.

But set your LAN admin to HTTPS only to disable port 80, that should work if your ISP isn't blocking it.

It must use port 80 against an Asus server. Your router is not listening on 80 on the WAN. So that isn't testing your ISP blocking it.

But set your LAN admin to HTTPS only to disable port 80, that should work if your ISP isn't blocking it.

Ok so the lets-encrypt challenge is not done against my router but against an asus server?
I`ve set it to HTTPS only now. But still no juice.. :( Does that mean my ISP is blocking port 80 then?

Ok so the lets-encrypt challenge is not done against my router but against an asus server?
I`ve set it to HTTPS only now. But still no juice.. :( Does that mean my ISP is blocking port 80 then?

Seems like it. To be certain, temporarily plug your NAS directly into ISP device and see if it responds on port 80 from the internet. Or any device with a port 80 listener (plenty of little http servers out there you can toss on a laptop).

Sure seems as if something is getting in the way. I have Lets Encrypt set up on my Debian web server and it is working fine. I have just port 80 and 443 set up in port forwarding. I did not turn on Lets Encrypt on the router, though. Is it possible that is the issue? A router reset and reconfigure should reset that if nothing else works.
It is also possible to use Certbot on port 443 but it could be messy. Google letsencrypt port 443 for a bunch of possible workarounds.