What's new

AC68U running 380.63_2 cannot ftp to router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dan-H

Regular Contributor
I'm missing something because this works on other routers I have, but not this one.

This is my backup, and it hasn't been used for a while, but I cannot FTP or SFTP to the router.

There are a couple of scripts and settings I would like to save before I upgrade, but I cannot FTP in...

I'm on a desktop, static IP wired into the router.
Web Interface is set for https, no-WAN, whitelisted IP address, and the system I'm on is allowed.

SSH is enabled, LAN only.
SSH port forwarding: No.

I see this in the log:
Jun 26 22:02:02 rc_service: httpds 466:notify_rc restart_ftpsamba;restart_dnsmasq
Jun 26 22:02:02 FTP Server: daemon is stopped
Jun 26 22:02:02 Samba Server: smb daemon is stopped

I've tried filezilla, bitvise and winscp

I can ssh into the system with bitvise, but I cannot initiate an SFTP sesstion.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
SFTP is over SSH not FTP. It’s odd you can SSH in but not initiate SFTP. Does scp work? Perhaps you can SSH in, tar up the files you want to a single file and scp back to wherever you can do SSH.

Understood. Neither SFTP or FTP work to the router. I thought this used to work

clarified first post..

Last edited:
The FTP is used to share mounted drives on USB, not for grabbing system files and configs I don’t think.

And you’re right, I just tried SFTP with three different clients and they don’t connect. Seems like the SSH daemon (dropbear) doesn’t like it.

Are you sure it has worked before? Was that FTP or SFTP? Was that to retrieve files on USB storage or actual system files?

Edit: Looked at the code, SFTP would only work if you have installed entware and the openssh-sftp-server package. If you haven’t done that you are probably mistaking FTP with SFTP.

Last edited:
SFTP has never been supported unless you install the entware package. FTPS is not the same as SFTP.

FTP has to be configured and enabled under USB Application/FTP Share. It only give you access to the USB drive not the /jffs partition.

You can use WinSCP to access the /jffs partition but you must select the SCP protocol not SFTP.

Thank you. This makes sense. I must have been remembering something else.

Appreciate the tip on WinSCP.

Thanks again.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!