What's new

AC68U Slow lan/ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sa_swe

New Around Here
I just upgraded from an N56U to an AC68U. After the replacement I get significantly lower transfer speeds from my server to my desktop client via Ethernet. Gigabit network. On the N56U I got around 70MBps, now it has dropped to 11MBps, a factor of six. I have the latest official firmware, flashed and factory reset, no change. I also have the latest Merlin release. No change.
The router correctly detects the network as 1Gbps. No QoS or other extra settings, just plain file transfer. OS is Win 8.1. I'd be very happy if somebody has experienced this and found a solution.
Thank you.

Any switches in between or modems with routing?
When on wireless, 'forgetting' the connection on the pc and re-establishing it again fresh can sometimes do the trick.

Any switches in between or modems with routing?
When on wireless, 'forgetting' the connection on the pc and re-establishing it again fresh can sometimes do the trick.
There's one 1Gbps switch inbetween, but that one was also connected when I had the higher speeds from the N56U. Then network configuration has not been changed other than that the N56 was replaced by the AC68. The desktop is not on wireless. On my wireless units on the other hand, the performance is vastly improved, as expected.

Have you tried resetting the switch?
It's just a tiny Netgear 1Gbps switch. I have reset it, but no change. The AC68 correctly reports the Ethernet connection to be 1Gbps. My server and my desktop also report 1Gbps network connection. Too bad I flashed my N56U, so I don't have all the settings.

I would test with a new switch before going further. And possibly new cables too; quality Cat5e or higher.

I don't even know how to access the switch. It's a netgear ProSafe GS105 .

Last edited:
I think it is solved now. I tested the cables and restarted the switch, and eventually I was able to transfer files at the intended speed. Shouldn't have blamed the AC68...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!