What's new

AC68U V3 and VPN Server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darkangel1994

Regular Contributor
Im trying to figur out how to get a VPN Server running somewhat reliable on either my CT8 (quad core at unknown speed) or AC68U V3 router (2x1000mhz). The AC68U is running merlin, however it doesnt support IPsec vpn server, neither the instant guard app for mobile phones, which uses IPsec too.
Searching and reading many topics here, from what i understand is that IPsec is much less demanding on the hardware? The CT8 does support IPsec VPN server, but its been quite troublesome to get it to work on windows machines, on some it works on an instant, some not at all (tried everything).
I understand that merlin-firmware is better for VPN use and has more options, so i was thinking of using the AC68U with merlin-wrt, but then i am limited to OpenVPN, which is more demanding on the CPU, and i cant use the native windows client (i need a openvpn app for windows?).

Use is for 3 player minecraft and a teamspeak 3 server, to play together with family members not living in the same house. Currently using hamachi, but thats not really fast, its latency is high and limited to 3 computers. With router VPN i dont need to add a user account for every computer in the house, just one account for the remote-home. Its a 100/100 fibre connection, however i dont expect for this simple use to come anywhere close to those speeds, neither needing them.
My question is what way to go, AC68U with merlin and use OpenVPN, perhaps with settings to reduce demand on the hardware? (since its just for TS and gaming). Or is it recommended to use the CT8 with its IPsec vpn server?

As a secondary question, i have been using Instant Guard using the CT8 when away, i guess i can substitute that with Openvpn aswell (IOS)?

You already asked similar questions here:

Just use whatever you feel easier for you to configure.

Just be aware that the AC68U does not support AES encryption and your openvpn connection will be limited to about 25M.

It can get to 40Mbps on 1GHz CPU AC68U. I have one AC66U B1 (also 1GHz CPU) running OpenVPN server and it does about 40Mbps.

It is funny you are messing with a CT8. I had a pair I got used off eBay last year. They worked pretty good in a wireless mesh setup but the lack of Merlin support, due to Qualcomm radios, were a deal breaker. I kept messing with them off and on even had them running in AP mode behind a pfsense box. Last month I was cleaning out my office and came across them again. They use the same power supply as the ac86u so I kept the power supplies and threw the CT8 units in the trash. :)

Oh yea, the best I could determine they had a 700mhz cpu

It is funny you are messing with a CT8. I had a pair I got used off eBay last year. They worked pretty good in a wireless mesh setup but the lack of Merlin support, due to Qualcomm radios, were a deal breaker. I kept messing with them off and on even had them running in AP mode behind a pfsense box. Last month I was cleaning out my office and came across them again. They use the same power supply as the ac86u so I kept the power supplies and threw the CT8 units in the trash. :)

Oh yea, the best I could determine they had a 700mhz cpu

Not a fan of the CT8’s, its a quad core but i dont feel its the better router. However its a negative that the ac68u doesnt support any IPsec vpn, which thr ct8 strangely does.
I might resort to PPTP and only turn it on during tve short gaming sessions.
OpenVPN is allegedly a resource hog.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!