What's new

AC68u, version 380.65_4, Adaptive QOS works great

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RussellInCincinnati

...with a bit of maximum download speed lost.

An installation where internet service provider max speed clocked at 100 megabits per second max download, 12 Mbps upload. With a standard setup, my http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest grades for "bufferbloat" (i.e. periodic pauses in data flow) were terrible, "D" or "F" on a scale where A is great, then B,C,D,E,F is terrible. There were several pauses in the data flow for more than one second.

So went to the Merlin version 380.65_4 screen, clicked on "Adaptive QoS" on the left, clicked on the "QoS" tab, set "Enable QoS" to ON, set QoS Type to "Adaptive QoS", set Bandwidth Setting to "Manual", and entered in the number "11" for an 11 megabits per second Upload Bandwidth and "95" for the Download Bandwidth. Then clicked on the big circle for select priority mode, below all this, thus highlighting the circle/priority option labeled "Web Surfing". Then clicked the "Apply" button at the very bottom of the configuration screen.

Result is now a DSL Reports "A" rating for all aspects of connection quality, including bufferbloat. No pauses now in data flow, but a modest lost in peak download speeds. Up until now my impression has been that setting Adaptive QoS was not a good idea. On a simplistic level what the bufferbloat rating means is that during the speed test, there was never a pause in the flow of data for more than about one-twelfth of a second (81 milliseconds).

In exchange for the now completely reliable speed of data flow, the max download speed appears to have dropped somewhat, from 90-95 megabits per second to around 82 megabits per second. Max upload speed is 11 megabits per second, just as set in the Adaptive QoS configuration screen.

Last edited:
yes it does, i have promoted it on other sites as well, unfortunately on the alpha is now broken. but hey bugs will happen
glad its working well for you :)

Without QoS turned on I get B bufferbloat majority of the time. I just leave QoS off.

13318128.png

Without QoS turned on I get B bufferbloat majority of the time. I just leave QoS off.

13318128.png
it does make a difference what modem you have but if you turned on qos and get worse bufferbloat then a setting is messed up somewhere. ive never had goodluck with automatic speed control i set manual and lower by about 5 to 10 percent.

if you dont need qos though thats a good thing.

you must pay for 150 meg? if you set your speed to manual and at 150 i guarantee you wouldn't see worse buffer bloat. just depends on if you care about that extra 5 meg.

Its all redundant anyway. Buffer bloat is only present when your line speed is maxed out. That is under normal circumstances buffer bloat is really never a issue. Unless your constantly maxing out your full internet speeds available to you then using QOS really does nothing and your worrying about something that don't really matter.

Its all redundant anyway. Buffer bloat is only present when your line speed is maxed out. That is under normal circumstances buffer bloat is really never a issue. Unless your constantly maxing out your full internet speeds available to you then using QOS really does nothing and your worrying about something that don't really matter.
very true, just depends on what you saturate. 5 meg upload like i have im glad i have qos set up for it.

Yes, if you don't ever have noticeable buffer bloat problems, then the fact that Adaptive QoS works properly to eliminate Buffer Bloat on version 65_4 Merlin software on the RT-AC68u doesn't matter.

Perhaps did not make it clear that the original post did not mean to say that the QoS function was important, it was merely to report the settings that work well for that small or large fraction of Merlin users that want to eliminate buffer bloat 1+ second pauses in data flow.

I have QOS off but from my own testing the firwmare the ISP provides for your modem can also affect it.

Running 380.65 for both scores.

13732953.png

Here is an old modem firmware.

Here is a new one

Last edited:
I have QOS off but from my own testing the firwmare the ISP provides for your modem can also affect it.

Running 380.65 for both scores.

13732953.png

Here is an old modem firmware.

Here is a new one

Yes, there can be many reasons why a user might not be interested in using the RT-AC68u Adaptive QoS to control buffer bloat, as in your example where some part of your system is, luckily, already controlling buffer bloat.

However this thread is meant to document useful QoS settings for those other RT-AC68u users that are seeing data flow pauses.

Yes, there can be many reasons why a user might not be interested in using the RT-AC68u Adaptive QoS to control buffer bloat, as in your example where some part of your system is, luckily, already controlling buffer bloat.

However this thread is meant to document useful QoS settings for those other RT-AC68u users that are seeing data flow pauses.

I'm not sure where the "luck" is in my system, its modem-router-nic for the data flow. I've been monitoring the bufferbloat on my connection for well over a year now with various merlin firmwares and modem firmwares.

I'm just pointing out that your modem firmware can also affect it outside of your router!

Last edited: