What's new

AC86au + Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ArchDevil

Regular Contributor
Been running Merlin on my AC86U for almost a year now. Pretty solid.
Just seen it shows on the settings page that only 1 core available, as i know AC86U have a dual core processor.
Am i missing something or the other core is for some specific thing?
Never really paid attention but now i did and just wanted to ask if it's should be like that.

Check the CPU temperature. Some AC86U have overheating issues. The thermal protection shuts down cores at 100C.

Last edited:
Check the CPU temperature. Some AC86U have overheating issues. The thermal protection shuts down cores at 100C.
Dang you're right... CPU shows at 101c...
Didn't think it's going to be that bad. Guess i have no option and try to stick some USB powered fans on the back of it or something as i can't do much other than that because i live in an area that ambient temperature can go up to 35c, sometimes even past that.

Dang you're right...

I know. Some people tried to convince me this router model is fine. I know what’s inside and how it’s made. Find a thread called “Router temperatures” for explanation why it is happening and possible cooling options.

I know. Some people tried to convince me this router model is fine. I know what’s inside and how it’s made. Find a thread called “Router temperatures” for explanation why it is happening and possible cooling options.
Yeah just found it.
I've gone through the thread, the easiest is to just point a fan on it or mount one.
I'll try that when I'll get some USB Fan and will report the results.
Thanks

I'll try that when I'll get some USB Fan and will report the results.

Depending on the fan airflow, expect 15-20C temperature drop. Should be enough to prevent cores shut down. I would use 120mm quiet PC fan placed behind the router. No need to attach it to the router. Better use separate power supply for the fan, don't power it from the router's USB port.

Depending on the fan airflow, expect 15-20C temperature drop. Should be enough to prevent cores shut down. I would use 120mm quiet PC fan placed behind the router. No need to attach it to the router. Better use separate power supply for the fan, don't power it from the router's USB port.
Alright.
I ordered a 120mm 5V Noctua fan. Should be enough.

Yes, the router is passively cooled. Any forced air circulation will improve the temperatures significantly.

Yes, the router is passively cooled. Any forced air circulation will improve the temperatures significantly.
Yeah.. the high summer ambient temperatures ain't giving it an easy life.
Will update on the temperatures differences once the fan arrives.

Ok I've received a cheap 5V fan from AliExpress, just put it blowing air at the back of the router and this is the temperatures right now:

Screenshot_20210819-155859~2.jpg

Room temperature about 24c with AC turned on. Unfortunately I'm running the fan on router's USB 2.0 as i didn't receive yet the extender to connect it to a different USB power source. Will be using it for a week maximum and then when i receive the USB extender, I'll run it through a different source.
At the moment i have about 17 devices connected which most of them on the 2.4Ghz network.
Huge huge improvement over the 97-103c that it was running on previously even when the AC is turned on. Expect probably 10c+- increase without the AC turned on, but still not at 100c before.

This is acceptable CPU temp. You don't need anything else. Clean the dust once a month.
*Edit*
I connected my NAS to the first LAN port and now temps are around 78-84c.
Of course. I'm dusting every week.
Now without AC turned on at night room temperature is about 27-28c and the router temperature is between 72-74c with 17 devices connected.
This cheap AliExpress fan solved the issue flawlessly.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!