What's new

AC86U 384.18, every other day or few days internet stops working while the GUI shows it as connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

punchsuckr

Hi,
Every few days internet will stop working for me without any other indication - the WAN LED stays white, GUI shows connected, no error messages in log.
Ways to resolve-toggle the internet connection switch on the 86U GUI off and on OR reboot the modem OR naturally the router.

I do not understand why this is happening, if it is resolved simply through the GUI can I have some sort of script which monitors the connection and does it automatically? If I understand correctly those are called watchdogs and I guess should already be in place?
This gives me the feeling of having an ultra cheap router and is quite irritating.

Some help please.

Thanks.

Edit: This is a new router. 384.18 was the first merlin fw flashed on it and a full reset was performed a week ago.

Last edited:
I have noticed a very similar problem, although the internet does not stop working altogether, on my 86U (running 384.19, but also on the previous firmware) the internet slows to a small percentage of my bandwidth until I reboot, then goes back to normal. I have verified that the 86u is the cause, because I have one computer connected directly to the cable modem and two others to the router first, and the two connected to the router are slow while the one connected directly to the cable modem is full speed at the same time. I previously had Diversion installed, but decided for testing purposes yesterday to do a factory reset, and not add any software via amtm to see if it might be related. I also did not restore either the jffs partition, nor a backup config, all was setup from scratch by hand.

I am trying a switch to stock fw for a few weeks to test.
The vpn clients will again need to be setup and the settings also seem a lot different from what i see on merlin.. welp.

I have similar problem few days ago, I think I was crazy... The reboot was from nowhere, lights are on but all connections are down, no device connected to internet. The router reboot out of blue with no big traffic ( 384.19 Merlin firmware ) and only FlexQos installed. Also I have in mind to install amtm and few staff but now I'm stay to observe what is happened, It was a glitch ??? or could be every day / week behavior :eek: ...

Router is bridge mode with ISP modem ... but ISP modem was OK in those moments. I have the same feeling of cheep and faulty router and I have to stuck with him because I buy this modem new but without dealer guarantee and I'm terrified about Amazon bad comments ... o_O ...

The only thing I want was to have custom QOS because I have many devices ( over 30,- every day active ~15 ) and I need some sort of order to put things in place, to be sure all will be active in good / excellent conditions...
It was TRAFFIC overflow ? The memory was full ? Maybe USB Swap file could be the solution for ram overload situations ?

Maybe somebody find a solution ... and have similar behavior
I have also save part of the log ... maybe someone find something wrong ... I don't know
Thank to share your thoughts

The reboot was from nowhere, lights are on but all connections are down, no device connected to internet. The router reboot out of blue with no big traffic ( 384.19 Merlin firmware )

Even though my original post did not mention a reboot, it also did randomly reboot in the middle of a work zoom yesterday and then the issue with internet happened the next morning. This is not stable at all.
I have installed stock 82072 to see how it works. Had to reconfigure the openvpn server again after performing a full reset yet again. :( Left qos and aiprotection off for now.
Hoping I do not have to waste more time on the router and it just continues working in the background like my old n66u did.

Last edited:
This is not stable at all.

You have 384.18 ... I have 384.19 ... but the same issue .... What I want to say is Merlin firmware has some problems in different versions with same router and some little different configurations. I don't have VPN, only FlexQos ... but I have only ( or maybe ) two reboots because first time I think it was from my ISP, but second time I was more focused on the network and that it was not a "coincidence" ... so that said I don't have experienced something like this in the last 2 days and prey to "IT GOD" to be only glitches ... time to time ... but something is working bad somewhere. I have in mind to reset default and install ASUS original firmware but I don't have enough power to redo all settings from scratch ... and I wanT badly A Very Good QOS ... and NOW somehow working ... Thanks to "IT GOD" ... MORE Bytes devour and prey, almighty ;)

I have the same issue with an RT-AX58U on 384.18 and 384.19. After 5 - 7 days, most of my 5Ghz clients will not be able to connect. I can see the SSID but the router will not allow connection. Nothing strange in the log files other than debug errors. A reboot will fix the problem for another week or so. The 2.4 Ghz clients are not impacted, they keep working when the 5Ghz clients cannot connect. Went back to 384.17 as I don't recall the problem on that release. Looking forward to 386 new code base.

Tried 384.18 and has the same WiFi stability and drop issues.

Went back to 384.17 and is MUCH more stable.

Needed stability as the kids are remote school and I am teleworking.

Kids sequestered on a guest network.

BIG wifi demands here.

Appears you guys are experiencing the same or similar 384.19, so I'll hold out....

Yup, I have been reporting this issue for some time now. With connection reliability most important for me I went back to Asus firmware. Well, I must admit that I gave Merlin 384.19 another good try yesterday but could not get it configured the way i needed. So back to Asus which has been rock solid for me. Some have complained about Asus doing an auto update. Has not bothered me. Am looking forward to the next Asus version with AiMesh 2.0 and some other features!

Edit: Would like to add that this only happens with the AC86U. I have two AC68U's in an office environment with 384.18 that work very well! Have not upgraded them yet to 384.19 as it is a 70 mile round trip to do the upgrade.

Last edited:
Some have complained about Asus doing an auto update. Has not bothered me.

Edit: Would like to add that this only happens with the AC86U. I have two AC68U's in an office environment with 384.18 that work very well! Have not upgraded them yet to 384.19 as it is a 70 mile round trip to do the upgrade.

I read the two 68U's as 86U's the first time :p.
Actually I wouldn't mind it auto updating so much too if it stays out of my way and it keeps working reliably. Fingers crossed.

Just had the same issue, minutes ago.

AC86U, the speed dropped to a crawl.

About 5 days on 19

Reboot fixed it.

AC86U, the speed dropped to a crawl.

Wired or Wireless 2,4 ghz or 5 ?
It's important ... because almost all drops failures was reported on 2,4 ghz ...
Also could be important to know if you remember which hardware revision do you have ( R 1.5 ) and year 2018 ? ... All this info are on the original box ... some sticker on side. I read about a lot a complains on amazon ...Some people have an issue about thermal problems ...

" Their seems to be a thermal issue. After 2 days the 2.4GHz kept randomly dropping.
Changed to cooler location and everything is well again. Will keep it running and update again. "

Me too. On 384.18 or 384.19 after a couple days, devices cannot connect to the 5 Ghz band (channel 149). The SSID is visible but cannot connect to an IP address. 2.4 Ghz is fine. Solved by a reboot of the router or going back to 384.17. Absolutely no thermal issue as the radios on the RT-AX58U run very cool (not more than 49 degrees C and CPU at not more than 62 degrees C).

Wired or Wireless 2,4 ghz or 5 ?
It's important ... because almost all drops failures was reported on 2,4 ghz ...
Also could be important to know if you remember which hardware revision do you have ( R 1.5 ) and year 2018 ? ... All this info are on the original box ... some sticker on side. I read about a lot a complains on amazon ...Some people have an issue about thermal problems ...

" Their seems to be a thermal issue. After 2 days the 2.4GHz kept randomly dropping.
Changed to cooler location and everything is well again. Will keep it running and update again. "

2020 revision here. drops on 2.4ghz. forces me to reboot router. returning.

2020 revision here. drops on 2.4ghz. forces me to reboot router. returning.

Yes ... If you can do that ... Hope in the near future I'll find a better one. What I read about is country where "THE RT-86U" was manufactured. If you have luck I suggest to find newest date ( like year 2020 and june/ july ...near november ) and Made in Koreea ....

About my router ... After I ckeck again all the apps installed via amtm , unistall Skynet and do all updates on remainig apps ... I do not have any issue with time to time rebooting :) .
In my case I presume was something "on error" or conflict with software under amtm.
Now is ok .. Hope stay steady in the near future ... for sure AI Protection has his fault but I do enabled because I use Flexqos.

Same issue here, with 384.19, but with 384.17 was fine... with 384.18 had same problem but after 1/2 weeks i need to reboot, but now after 4/5 days have this issues.

Any help with it?

im thinking to downgrade to 384.17 again...

Same issue here, with 384.19, but with 384.17 was fine... with 384.18 had same problem but after 1/2 weeks i need to reboot, but now after 4/5 days have this issues.

Any help with it?

im thinking to downgrade to 384.17 again...

Stock fw works perfectly for me. Not one problem since this thread.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!