What's new

AC86U 384.18, every other day or few days internet stops working while the GUI shows it as connected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I used to experience similar WAN issues that I fixed by either rebooting or reconnecting on the WAN page. However, I noticed this was solved following one of this settings changes (not sure what did it, but don't have time to test):
- changed DHCP query frequency to Normal on WAN/Internet Connection
- disabled Apps Analysis on QOS /Bandwidth Monitor
- unticked boxes DNS Query and Ping on Administration/System

I don't know what triggered it, but since these changes the router has been stable, with no WAN issues or VPN disconnects etc.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

Yes ... stock can work very well but when you need the other apps like me ... FlexQos or others you need Merlin FW and in some configurations and settings or hardware, manufacture year , revision etc, could have some instability on RT-86U, rebooting time to time or other issues who create a lot of frustration to owners.

After update Flexqos from 1.02 to 1.05 the restart increase 2 days after 2 days on so on ... It's worse because on 1.02 the router was stable and before 1.02 I have restart from 4 days to 4 days ... Now I came back with 2 days restart ... I didn't make any update or change rules or something .... only this update and the restart is now again ....

Yes ... If you can do that ... Hope in the near future I'll find a better one. What I read about is country where "THE RT-86U" was manufactured. If you have luck I suggest to find newest date ( like year 2020 and june/ july ...near november ) and Made in Koreea ....

About my router ... After I ckeck again all the apps installed via amtm , unistall Skynet and do all updates on remainig apps ... I do not have any issue with time to time rebooting :) .
In my case I presume was something "on error" or conflict with software under amtm.
Now is ok .. Hope stay steady in the near future ... for sure AI Protection has his fault but I do enabled because I use Flexqos.

went back to my ac66u_b1 everything works as it should. have every feature enabled including traffic analyzer. not a single error in the log and what a difference. no clients dropping out, no need to reboot. its still rock solid after 2 and a half years. The ac86u had slightly better wifi range and 5x faster openvpn. But everything else about it is a downgrade and I feel such a relief returning it and saving myself 180 dollars. I really didn't need it.

The only time you need to upgrade is when you need to upgrade.

Change isn't always progress.

Particularly if you're set in how you think the router/network should work after years of improvements.

The only time you need to upgrade is when you need to upgrade.

Change isn't always progress.

Particularly if you're set in how you think the router/network should work after years of improvements.

its not about being set in thinking how something should work. Its about something not working. The faster vpn speed and only slight range increase, was not worth every other feature breaking and sacrificing wireless stability for. THe whole point was to improve that when using mac address filtering(you probably think its useless). But the ac86u seems to have the same device limit as the ac66u_b1. Even AImesh was no benefit with how flaky it was. For people who absolutely need that faster vpn speed or more vpn bandwidth at the router level maybe its worth it for them. But they should be warned that comes with a hefty tradeoff. You probably want to claim user error, but I assure you thats not the truth.

The only thing I'm sacrificing is probably a slight speed decrease from the poorer range, though I don't notice, and not being able to put my TV's behind the vpn. Which really is not a privacy or security risk for me. I'm not using a VPN to avoid GEO blocking like many detractors assume people use them for. Stealing the password would imediately red flag my account since I'm at the device limit, hopefully that transaction is at least already encrypted. And My desktops and mobiles are better off using the vpn app at the device level. Faster and more secure from even the snooping router. All 30 of my iot devices are fine with the vpn bandwidth the ac66u_b1 provides.

Last edited:
When so many others have great experiences from this upgrade (and from significantly better hardware than the RT-AC66U_B1 you upgraded from) it makes you have to pause, doesn't it?

It's great to get something to bend to our will (where and when we can), but it is even better when we allow ourselves to get the benefits the newer hardware and software offers too.

When so many others have great experiences from this upgrade (and from significantly better hardware than the RT-AC66U_B1 you upgraded from) it makes you have to pause, doesn't it?

It's great to get something to bend to our will (where and when we can), but it is even better when we allow ourselves to get the benefits the newer hardware and software offers too.

They don't run the same configs in the same environments. Asus needs better beta testers is what that tells me. All the bad reviews across the web and long complaint threads on these very forums should of given me pause before purchasing, but like you I assumed user error or bad luck. To be honest it really was the assumption that the recent manufacturing of the model might of changed things. So its very disappointing that it doesn't.

And when you say we should allow ourselves to get the benefits of the newer hardware and software, that is what is unfortunate and ironic. Because many people are forced to disable those benefits for stability. Doubly so because they are the very things that incur the extra cost of the device.

Last edited: