What's new

AC86U DFS Channels Missing (Canada) Latest Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rumipuffs

Occasional Visitor
I recently picked up a AC86U for a relatively good price. I bought it on the recommendation that it had DFS channels available (https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html#routers). After reading a few threads here it seems like it's mainly available on EU or CN versions. But, also saw someone mentioned that it was enabled for US models starting from firmware 384.

I've tried updating the firmware with both official firmware and Merlin but I'm having no success at all. Only channels I can see are the non-DFS ones. According to Wiki DFS is allowed in Canada. Does anyone know if I have to do something specific to get it started? I don't have any option to change the country code.

Welcome @rumipuffs, I believe that you read that link incorrectly?

Below the table is a list of routers eliminated for NOT meeting these criteria

My 86U gives me DFS channels as options in the dropdown box. I live here in the Great White North.

What software version are you running?

I've tried Merlin 384.19 and 386.1beta4 and the official firmware 386.41634 .

Each time, I tried factory reseting after upgrading but when I get to the drop down menu I can't see any DFS channels. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong. I've even tried switching it to router mode (initially trying with AP mode) but that doesn't seem to have made a difference either.

Maybe your router isn't a Canadian model but some sort of grey import. Try SSHing into the router and running these commands:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl._country
nvram get territory_code

Maybe your router isn't a Canadian model but some sort of grey import. Try SSHing into the router and running these commands:
Code:
nvram show | grep wl._country
nvram get territory_code

wl_country_code=(blank)
wl_country_rev=987
territory_code=CA/02

Does that mean anything?

I think you mis-typed the first command. Can you try it again.

Or maybe just do this instead:
Code:
nvram show | grep country | sort

OK, thanks. So that confirms that it's a version tailored specifically for Canada so it should have DFS channels.

What do these produce:
Code:
nvram get wl1_chlist
nvram get wl_ifnames

admin@RT-AC86U-6CC0:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl1_chlist
36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165
admin@RT-AC86U-6CC0:/tmp/home/root# nvram get wl_ifnames
eth5 eth6

Seems like only non-DFS channels are listed. Does that mean it's SOL? I'm assuming these are hardcoded in.

Can you see what this produces, I'm guessing it will be the same as above.
Code:
wl -i eth6 channels

Yup same thing.
admin@RT-AC86U-6CC0:/tmp/home/root# wl -i eth6 channels
36 40 44 48 149 153 157 161 165
Oh dear. Maybe it's an early production model that wasn't certified for DFS. That would be a bit bizarre though. I think I'd contact Asus Canada and ask them whether that channel selection is correct or not.

EDIT: On the other hand, even if you had the DFS channels available you'd probably want to use 149 to 165 because they have the highest power.

Last edited:
What specific version of the firmware(s) did you test with?

Was a full reset performed afterward?

Fully Reset Router and Network

What settings do you change from defaults after a full reset to factory defaults? What other options/features do you use?

Can you post a screen snip of the General and Professional wireless GUI pages for the 5GHz band?

If changing any settings 'now' doesn't offer the option for 160MHz bandwidth, a full reset may reveal it if you leave things at their defaults.

Oh I did. Sorry.

wl0_country_code=CA
wl0_country_rev=987
wl1_country_code=CA
wl1_country_rev=987

This is most interesting, despite purchasing my Router two years ago from a well known Canadian retailer (Staples), my router shows a different county code than Canada. This is the first I have checked this.

I will have to remember this when speaking to this topic as I have obviously spoke out of turn in this case.

Oh dear. Maybe it's an early production model that wasn't certified for DFS. That would be a bit bizarre though. I think I'd contact Asus Canada and ask them whether that channel selection is correct or not.

EDIT: On the other hand, even if you had the DFS channels available you'd probably want to use 149 to 165 because they have the highest power.

I bought this specifically to use DFS. The 5Ghz on non-DFS is super congested by neighbours (townhouse complex). Zoom/FaceTime is really bad during the day. If i can't get this to work I might give up and get Ubiquiti APs instead. Right now I'm using two TP-LINK APs and they don't have DFS, was hoping I could replace both with this one.

pro.png

What specific version of the firmware(s) did you test with?

Was a full reset performed afterward?

Fully Reset Router and Network

What settings do you change from defaults after a full reset to factory defaults? What other options/features do you use?

Can you post a screen snip of the General and Professional wireless GUI pages for the 5GHz band?

If changing any settings 'now' doesn't offer the option for 160MHz bandwidth, a full reset may reveal it if you leave things at their defaults.

I've factory reset each time I swapped firmwares, using the methods you mentioned in that link (found also during my search). Doesn't seem to really do anything.

I've only put the router in AP mode and then immediately look to see if DFS is enabled each time. So very miniimal changes.

This is most interesting, despite purchasing my Router two years ago from a well known Canadian retailer (Staples), my router shows a different county code than Canada. This is the first I have checked this.

I will have to remember this when speaking to this topic as I have obviously spoke out of turn in this case.

That's interesting. I bought mine at Staples too. Does yours say something like US or EU then?

Even on the box it says manufactured 2020 firmware 384. So, you'd think it would have DFS since it was approved in Canada in 2018.

Ah, is it because it is in AP mode that DFS channels are not being revealed?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!