What's new

AC86U - httpd not responding

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

@leon -- Those look equivalent to the steps I took. I just used the router GUI's jffs backup/restore option, but your tar options should do the same job. It sure seemed to fix the problem for me. I had been seeing the problem recur within a week (sometimes within a couple days) of reboot, and after the backup/format/restore it ran for 3-4 weeks without any further problem.

My fix verification is limited to that 3-4 weeks because that's when I replaced that router and my old AP with a pair of AX86U's.

Same issue with web login and just discoverd what "nvram show" just do nothing, so i found this thread which describes exactly the same problem! is the backup/format jffs/restore a permanent or temporary solution?

is this by any chance a hardware issue?

I am also experiencing webui hang after password entry issue sporadically with AC86U with 386.5.
I can reach the internet but not the webui.

I'm having this same problem. AC86-U with latest version. $ nvram show also hangs. I am running diversion w/ pixelserv but not skynet or anythign else. If I just reboot though its fine.

Last edited:
I've nuclear reset the modem and installed 386.5_1 last beta on Thursday. Then installed diversion, ntpmerlin, unbound manager, scmerlin and scribe. UI has been stable for last 3 days. No more webui hang.

I've never found the Web-based GUI very responsive with the AC86U.
I was shocked & disappointed to find the Web-GUI slower & less responsive than the Older AC68U.
Anyways... what I think made it (slower/worse) was enabling the HTTPS Web Interface under...
Administration>System>Local Access Config : Authentication Method : BOTH
+

Remote Access Config : Enable Web Access from WAN : Yes

My Point is you can set-up OpenVPN for remote access & turn off the HTTPS Web Interface...
And still have access to remotely access the router.

Not sure if you have yours Enabled... but from my experience with an AC86U it makes things...
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

I've dirty upgraded to 386.5_2 from 386.5_1 (did a nuclear reset before 386.5_1) and the webui has been stable for 6 days. I won't reboot until needed.

My setup RT-AC86U
- I don't use https. No remote access
- Diversion with large list and pixelserv
- ntpmerlin with chronyc
- Unbound
- Yazfi
- Scmerlin
- scribe and scribeui
- CakeQOS-Merlin
- 2 gb swap on Patriot Supersonic Rage Lite 64gb in the usb 3 slot
- Traffic analyzer and Aiprotection is on

I've dirty upgraded to 386.5_2 from 386.5_1 (did a nuclear reset before 386.5_1) and the webui has been stable for 6 days. I won't reboot until needed.

My setup RT-AC86U
- I don't use https. No remote access
- Diversion with large list and pixelserv
- ntpmerlin with chronyc
- Unbound
- Yazfi
- Scmerlin
- scribe and scribeui
- CakeQOS-Merlin
- 2 gb swap on Patriot Supersonic Rage Lite 64gb in the usb 3 slot
- Traffic analyzer and Aiprotection is on
Did you restore your settings from file or configure everything again manually? And how do you do a "nuclear reset" ?

Did you restore your settings from file or configure everything again manually? And how do you do a "nuclear reset" ?
I configured everything manually after the nuclear reset. The only thing I didn't follow on the nuclear reset procedure was renaming my SSID.

Nuclear rest by L&LD:

Uptime is now 7 days 10 hours and no issues...

I have a dirty scrip to check "nvram show" every 5 mins, and seems to suggest the Diversion is the issue. I have disabled Diversion and it is fine after ~7.5days. I was using Diversion Standard.

I will live without Diversion for awhile.

I have a dirty scrip to check "nvram show" every 5 mins, and seems to suggest the Diversion is the issue. I have disabled Diversion and it is fine after ~7.5days. I was using Diversion Standard.

I will live without Diversion for awhile.
I have noticed the same.
If you uninstall diversion and reinstall it you solve the issue anyhow for few weeks.
After that you again have the problem.

It seems there is something within Diversion that is killing web-if and not even a service restart works.

Did anyone else try turning off the Diversion WebUI? I did, and its been good for 2 days now, but still too early to tell.

Did anyone else try turning off the Diversion WebUI? I did, and its been good for 2 days now, but still too early to tell.
I tried but this seems not the cause.
At a certain point in time you see that the free memory collaps below 70-80 Mb.
When this happens the web-gui get lost.

Now it is about 2 weeks I have reinstalled diversion and I still have 130 Mb free and no problem with the web-gui.

Anyways... what I think made it (slower/worse) was enabling the HTTPS Web Interface under...
Administration>System>Local Access Config : Authentication Method : BOTH
+

Remote Access Config : Enable Web Access from WAN : Yes

My Point is you can set-up OpenVPN for remote access & turn off the HTTPS Web Interface...
And still have access to remotely access the router.

Not sure if you have yours Enabled... but from my experience with an AC86U it makes things...
SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOW
Think about that - Enable Web Access from WAN should NEVER be engaged/activated.
and
Authentication Method - that's to determine port/protocol to login to the Router's GUI from LAN, an extra layer of security. Your choice, HTTP or HTTPS, but it's best to use HTTPS so that there's less chance of anyone snooping

Think about that - Enable Web Access from WAN should NEVER be engaged/activated.
and
Authentication Method - that's to determine port/protocol to login to the Router's GUI from LAN, an extra layer of security. Your choice, HTTP or HTTPS, but it's best to use HTTPS so that there's less chance of anyone snooping
I didn't mean to say those were Good settings, I agree the https adds security. What I meant to say was the encryption severely slows down the router GUI.
IMO it doesn't perform very well when encrypting the main web-interface (On That Router). It's better to completely DISABLE the Web Access from WAN... and use OpenVPN for remote access... which can still permit a remote browser to login (just as if they were local without as glitchy of a experience).

What I meant to say was the encryption severely slows down the router GUI.

This is valid for every GUI. I have owncloud installed and the same apply.
Try to install nginix or lighttpd , there are different tutorials on this.
Just change the port to avoid double reload.

I didn't mean to say those were Good settings, I agree the https adds security. What I meant to say was the encryption severely slows down the router GUI.
IMO it doesn't perform very well when encrypting the main web-interface (On That Router). It's better to completely DISABLE the Web Access from WAN... and use OpenVPN for remote access... which can still permit a remote browser to login (just as if they were local without as glitchy of a experience).
I'm more inclined to use WireGuard than OpenVPN...in fact, I believe the whole router GUI firmware should be re-written by Asus to incorporate it...but that's a whole other topic

I don't know about httpd in Asuswrt-Merlin, but I left one AC86U running on latest Asuswrt 48260 firmware for about 15 days with no reboot and I found Client List and Web History frozen. Not sure when Client List stopped working, Web History quit on day 6. This router has clean firmware, all Trend Micro components enabled and 2 clients only. Now I see why some people need scheduled reboots.

I don't know about httpd in Asuswrt-Merlin, but I left one AC86U running on latest Asuswrt 48260 firmware for about 15 days with no reboot and I found Client List and Web History frozen. Not sure when Client List stopped working, Web History quit on day 6. This router has clean firmware, all Trend Micro components enabled and 2 clients only. Now I see why some people need scheduled reboots.
Remember to use the amtm script otherwise the is a high probability that your router will remain stuck in off and the only way to recover is to user the back switch.