What's new

AC86U on 3.0.0.4.386_41634 WiFi losing connectivity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Threem

New Around Here
Hello everyone,

I am very lost at this point. I have tried factoru reset, but problems still persist.

I am using an AC86U, with the latest firmware i can download from Asus site. Now problem is this, i realise recently like since late 2020, i kept getting problems with connecting on my devices.

My device would detect full Wifi reception, but i'll get an exclamation mark on it saying it's not getting internet connectivity. Same goes with my laptop, except Laptop has lesser problems.

I have a wired PC running on LAN, no issues on that. So it has to be a WiFi issue. So far i have tried resetting my decices and also the router. But same problem. Is there by any chance a firmware well know to be stable to revert to? It's been irritating as i'm browsing videos at times, and i could load them. The connection goes on and off.

Attaching my system logs for someone more familiar to assess.

Hello everyone,

I am very lost at this point. I have tried factoru reset, but problems still persist.

I am using an AC86U, with the latest firmware i can download from Asus site. Now problem is this, i realise recently like since late 2020, i kept getting problems with connecting on my devices.

My device would detect full Wifi reception, but i'll get an exclamation mark on it saying it's not getting internet connectivity. Same goes with my laptop, except Laptop has lesser problems.

I have a wired PC running on LAN, no issues on that. So it has to be a WiFi issue. So far i have tried resetting my decices and also the router. But same problem. Is there by any chance a firmware well know to be stable to revert to? It's been irritating as i'm browsing videos at times, and i could load them. The connection goes on and off.

Attaching my system logs for someone more familiar to assess.

If not a WiFi interference issue or specific client wireless adapter issue, then I would suspect router hardware. A simple test would be to swap in another router... if the problem disappears, then you know to double down on debugging the troubled router, or replace it. It should just work and if you know what that means, then you'll have to make a call on it once you've convinced yourself it must be a hardware issue.

I'm assuming it use to work just fine.

OE

Your problem sounds very similar to mine: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...municate-at-seemingly-random-intervals.68816/ . I described some changes in that thread, namely updating everything to the 41535 firmware, disabling Universal Beamforming, and resetting one of the nodes and re-joining it to the mesh.

I also made one other change not mentioned there: I was previously using a custom DHCP server that connected (wired) to a mesh node. I think this could have been part of the problem because if a node lost connectivity, it created a chicken-and-egg problem where the node might want to re-join but needed to get a DHCP lease, which it couldn't do because it wasn't on the network yet, etc. I have since reorganized the network so that my DHCP server is directly attached to the main AP.

I can't say *which* change might have fixed it, but I haven't had the specific symptom (where a device is "connected, no internet") in a couple of weeks.

If not a WiFi interference issue or specific client wireless adapter issue, then I would suspect router hardware. A simple test would be to swap in another router... if the problem disappears, then you know to double down on debugging the troubled router, or replace it. It should just work and if you know what that means, then you'll have to make a call on it once you've convinced yourself it must be a hardware issue.

I'm assuming it use to work just fine.

OE
When i first got the router, it worked pretty well. But it's less than a year old. Hardware defects this quick?

Dun have any spare router with me, sadly.

Without a spare router to test, you should concentrate on getting the router back to a good/known state (with the firmware it is currently running). Do not 'blindly' use old settings that once worked. Do not import old (or new!) saved backup config files from previous firmware. Do not do only 'parts' of the suggestions below if you want to know 100% that it is the hardware having issues (or not).

You can simply compare the reset(s) you performed to the suggestions below, but that may not be enough to get your router performing as you want.

I have found many times that adjusting settings and putting them back to defaults was different from fully resetting the router and not adjusting them at all.

Fully Reset Router and Network

New M&M 2020

M&M 2020 Specifics

And the 'original' guides.

L&LD | SmallNetBuilder Forums

When i first got the router, it worked pretty well. But it's less than a year old. Hardware defects this quick?

Dun have any spare router with me, sadly.

The default router with a simple quick setup should connect wireless clients... that is its function. Your wireless clients use to connect and now struggle... except your stronger laptop adapter struggles less. Your wired clients have no issue and enjoy Internet access.

If you have re-installed your router firmware from scratch and it still exhibits wireless client connection issues with various clients, then I would suspect the router hardware... regardless of the time of day.

Or maybe you have some bad radio interference around you?

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!