What's new

AC86U SMB Tweaking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just for the record, I'm running a 40% overclock towards 1400Mhz.

I will run tests with 100mb and share results.
I'm testing with samsung usb3 128gb flash drive.
I'm running Merlin 380.69.
I indeed enter those echo commands without that final number. I had made a mistake while copying the lines here.

Will report back with 100mb results.

Cheers to you both!
Reporting back with wired 100mb results. This time I tested both 2.0 and 3.0 ports (using the same 3.0 flash drive stated before).

WhoOah4.jpg

No buffers only still seems the best shot.

What confuses me is the fact that both usb 2.0/3.0 are achieving almost the same speeds. Shouldn't 3.0 port be much faster than 2.0? On real world tests (copying large files from pc to usb), usb3 performs much better than usb2.

Regards!

Ps: Please, no more boring tests! =P

Last edited:
So I got a new laptop with an Intel 9560 and decided to test this again, results improved even further with a quality client.

Code:
-----------------------------
Running warmup...
Running a 100MB file write on \\RT-AC86U-2EE8\skynet (at Elements) 5 times...
Iteration 1:     43.53 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     55.90 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     54.56 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     55.46 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     49.92 MB/sec
Average (W):     51.87 MB/sec
Running a 100MB file read on \\RT-AC86U-2EE8\skynet (at Elements) 5 times...
Iteration 1:     80.48 MB/sec
Iteration 2:     81.19 MB/sec
Iteration 3:     80.16 MB/sec
Iteration 4:     81.11 MB/sec
Iteration 5:     83.22 MB/sec
Average (R):     81.23 MB/sec

Would be nice to see it added to the firmware by default considering the significant improvement @RMerlin

Would be nice to see it added to the firmware by default considering the significant improvement @RMerlin
I've tried all of the various suggestions that have been made over the years and none of them have made any significant change on my AC68U.

I'm surprised no one caught this. 100MB/s=800Mb/s. My transfer rate from my PC to my home server (via smb) is at about 115MB/s or 920Mb/s.
Well he did say "~" which means approximately ;). Gigabit Ethernet has a data rate of 1,000,000,000 bits per second which equates to 119.2MiB/s, minus the overhead for the protocols, etc.

Testing all different scenarios is very time-consuming (results vary greatly for instance whether over Ethernet or wifi so a balance must be found), and right now my focus is trying to deal with the mess that are 20942/21045 GPLs.

Testing all different scenarios is very time-consuming (results vary greatly for instance whether over Ethernet or wifi so a balance must be found), and right now my focus is trying to deal with the mess that are 20942/21045 GPLs.

Agreed - there's a lot of options with the smb.conf and kernel params - and many are conditional to a specific set of circumstances.

The defaults generally work "well enough" for most - I'm not trying to discourage folks from tweaking parameters and reporting results - just keep in mind that what works well for one, might be a negative result for another.

I wrote a script: https://github.com/JackMerlin/USBAccelerator
Code:
curl --retry 3 "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JackMerlin/USBAccelerator/master/usbaccelerator.sh" -o "/jffs/scripts/usbaccelerator.sh" && chmod 755 /jffs/scripts/usbaccelerator.sh && /jffs/scripts/usbaccelerator.sh

got a chuckle with the following message:
Your router will be auto self-destruct, please enjoy a bricked router.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!