What's new

AC86U Transmission installation problems..

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Blak24

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,
I'm trying to install Transmission via Telnet with the following guide:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware

First step is installing Entware, and I'm doing so following the link here:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware#the-easy-way

I'm trying "The easy way" on that page, but, as soon as I launch the bash command this is what I get, an error: Cattura.JPG
I tried several times, and before every next try I used the command "rm -rf entware" to delete the folder created by the bash command, even if it gives that error. Any idea?
Thanks

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to install Transmission via Telnet with the following guide:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Installing-Transmission-through-Entware

First step is installing Entware, and I'm doing so following the link here:

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Entware#the-easy-way

I'm trying "The easy way" on that page, but, as soon as I launch the bash command this is what I get, an error:View attachment 11101
I tried several times, and before every next try I used the command "rm -rf entware" to delete the folder created by the bash command, even if it gives that error. Any idea?
Thanks

Try formatting your JFFS partition on next reboot option and test again.

Tried that but nothing changed, still the same error

I have the same router model and only had an initial problem with my JFFS partition that a reformat solved.

Entware instalation went fine after that.

Also for Transmisison to work without issues I created a 256MB swap file on my drive, without it Transmission crashes.

Here is the guide I followed:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...sion-on-asuswrt-routers-through-optware.8696/

You might just be running out of router memory at the end of the instalation.

Make a swap file first then try again.

Last edited:
I was finally able to install Transmission after creating a swap file, I followed the tutorial already posted on the open post, which is the most recent (March 2017) available, but I have a problem. Before rebooting the router everything was fine and Transmission worked.

After rebooting the router the CPU went up, and stayed there, at 100% with memory almost full, 500MB out of 512MB and the USB disk wasn't mounted. Then it rebooted again itself after about 2 minutes in normal conditions: about half memory full and CPU almost everytime to 0%, but Transmission doesn't work at all and I can't even start it manually from telnet, it always reports: Failed.
Cattura.JPG
Any idea?

EDIT: If I try to repeat the procedure it seems there's something which is corrupted. In fact as soon as I try to re-open the config file of Transmission it shows something like this:
Cattura2.JPG
And if I try to move with arrow keys it stays always there and it starts writing those characters [4d][dj] etc... in the bottom part of the window. I'm having a headache with all of these problems, I think I'll soon give up is someone can't help me :(

Last edited:
Hi,
do u have USB drive formated in ext2 (or hdd in ext4) ?
I have AC86u with entware (transmission), swap, ab-solution, skynet and it was painless instalation (I'm not some pro user, but learning a lot from own mistakes :) )

ext3 should be fine. You formated it under Windows or Linux or directly from router ?

I formatted under windows using a specific program. Should I try directly from the router? Just tell me the command if there's one, it would be also better since I don't have to unplug and attach it to my PC

My formating procedure (in router):
unmount from gui (Safely Remove disk)
and in telnet/ssh (Two best friends for Windows are: Putty and WinSCP :) )
Code:
fdisk -l
fdisk /dev/sdx
then m for help :)
first delete old partitions: d (if u have more than 1 u should repeat it)
then: n for new (leave default if u wan ony 1 big partition)
then: w for writing partition table

next thing is formating it (ext4 for hdd, use ext2 when formating usb stick):
Code:
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdx1

and some label
Code:
tune2fs -L YourNameHere /dev/sdx1

and replug drive

ofc change sdx, sdx1 etc to YOUR needs

and in the end the site with helped me the most with formating:
http://www.algissalys.com/how-to/format-and-partition-usb-asuswrt-routers

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! I'll follow the complete guide and I'll re-try using EXT4 and reinstalling everything, and then I'll update here :)

Thanks a lot! I'll follow the complete guide and I'll re-try using EXT4 and reinstalling everything, and then I'll update here :)

FWIW I wasn't able to format my drive as ext4 on the rt-ac86u for some reason, other formats were possible but I specifically wanted ext4, working great btw.

I justed created a GParted bootable usb drive in windows and did it that way.

Using ext3/4 you won't be able to use the scan for errors tool in the webui any longer, Asus is not endorsing a Linux file system for attached storage and giving priority to Fat32/NTFS.

You can probably do it over telnet but haven't had the need to test it yet.

FWIW I wasn't able to format my drive as ext4 on the rt-ac86u for some reason, other formats were possible but I specifically wanted ext4.

I justed created a GParted bootable usb drive in windows and did it that way.

Using ext3/4 you won't be able to use the scan for errors tool in the webui any longer, Asus is not endorsing a Linux file system for attached storage and just giving priority to Fat32/NTFS.
Thanks Gingernut, so I'll try with EXT4 with a GParted bootable drive or EXT3 directly from the router and I'll update here, thanks

@Gingernut

To format to ext4 on AC86 you need to use
Code:
mke2fs -t ext4 /dev/sdx1
not (as I was using on AC68u)
Code:
mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdx1

Its up to u to choose file system, I use ext4 for 500GB 2,5' HDD (with data) and ext2 for usb stick (with entware).
And some scripts frome here: https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/USB-Disk-Check-at-Boot to check disks after boot/reboot but before mounting happens.

Hello everyone! Finally was able to dedicate some time to the issue and I was able to format my USB stick to EXT2 and my USB HDD to EXT4. I correctly installed transmission with the tutorial on the open post, tried it and everything worked fine but.. As soon as I reboot the router it seems to self uninstalling. In fact I can't access anymore the web interface, it reports connection refused, and also checking via telnet and trying to start manually the transmission daemon with the command:

"/opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission start"

It reports "not found". So what should I do? I'm really out of ideas. Thanks to anyone who'll try to help me

Hi again.. Did a second reboot, everything is lost, again... Even using the ENTWARE-NG guide posted by @TeHashX. After reboot I got no swap file, nor Transmission installed at all. So, there's something wrong in my router config I suppose? How can this happen? It's really frustrating..

EDIT: Just noticed that my AC86U seems to like swapping mounting points between the two disks. I don't remember well, so I can't tell if this is the real problem, but previously to the reboot my USB stick was mounted as sda1 while after reboot it has sdb1 and these labels are swapped with my USB HDD. Is there a way to swap them again and see if transmission works again?

Last edited:
Hi again.. Did a second reboot, everything is lost, again... Even using the ENTWARE-NG guide posted by @TeHashX. After reboot I got no swap file, nor Transmission installed at all. So, there's something wrong in my router config I suppose? How can this happen? It's really frustrating..

EDIT: Just noticed that my AC86U seems to like swapping mounting points between the two disks. I don't remember well, so I can't tell if this is the real problem, but previously to the reboot my USB stick was mounted as sda1 while after reboot it has sdb1 and these labels are swapped with my USB HDD. Is there a way to swap them again and see if transmission works again?
If you give the disks a label then you can access them in /mnt/disklabel