What's new

AC86U - update from 384.13 to 384.14 beta 3 - hangs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

princi

Bizarre.

Trying to update from 384.13 release to 384.14 beta 3 and the process stops at:

Please Wait, Applying Settings...

Router is still operating fine - just the web interface is now unresponsive.

Closing the browser and trying to login from another device - unresponsive

Power cycle - same behaviour

I must have missed this in the threads - was the problem identified?

Ahh I see that's usually the cause for alot of other users, have you tested a factory reset by any chance?

I have had zero issues with the same upgrade path on my RT-AC86U - however I am acutely aware of the fact that the AC86U enjoys utilising plenty of its RAM the longer it runs for leaving precious little spare for a firmware update. So my path to any DIRTY firmware upgrade is: -
  1. Use webgui to eject any USB drives attached; [RAM consumption will drop]
  2. Go to Administration Settings > System ... and disable JFFS Custom Scripts and configs;
  3. Reboot the router under pre-upgrade existing firmware;
  4. Wait 5 minutes for this fast router to settle; [RAM consumption usually much lower at this stage - wait for processor activity to settle]
  5. Go to Administration > Firmware Upgrade ... and select the new firmware file to upload;
  6. Wait another 5 minutes after firmware upgrade applied [still no USB and no JFFS enable];
  7. Power off the router [not at power button - just pull the power cord] and wait a minute or so with power button still in ON position [drains the circuits];
  8. Power button OFF - replace power cord - and push power button back ON;
  9. Wait another 5 minutes - login to Webgui - insert USB and then Enable JFFS Custom Scripts and configs;
  10. Wait for router to settle [usually on the AC86 at least 5 minutes];
  11. Reboot from webgui and enjoy the new firmware :).
I believe something has gone awry with your firmware upgrade [could not have fully completed] - so think you will have to do a reset - with the WPS button depressed first then the power button and hold for up to 30 seconds until power LED blinks repeatedly. Follow Asus Rescue Procedures to reload chosen firmware.

I don‘t have a problem with doing a full factory reset - I actually think it‘s good practice.

Just a little surprised that it‘s a necessity in this case.

Anyway, thank you everyone for the comments.

First update in 5+ years of using Merlin to fail for me, however removing the USB drive resolved it.

I was having issues updating thru Edge...with Chrome, I was able to update with no issues.

Bizarre.

Trying to update from 384.13 release to 384.14 beta 3 and the process stops at:

Please Wait, Applying Settings...

Router is still operating fine - just the web interface is now unresponsive.

Closing the browser and trying to login from another device - unresponsive

Power cycle - same behaviour

I must have missed this in the threads - was the problem identified?

Procedure:
- Firefox with cache cleared
- disable JFFS;
- reset to previous FW 384.13;
- Firefox with cache cleared;
- upgrade new FW beta;
- reset FW beta installed;

Procedure:
- disable JFFS;
- reset to previous FW 384.13;
- upgrade new FW beta;
- reset FW beta installed;

Thanks for your input, but it didn‘t work.

Tried a h/w reset with the WPS button - same behaviour after setting up.

Tried the firmware recovery mode wirelessly, but kept getting Invalid IP address. I have had success doing wired recoveries in the past, but not this time.

Guess I have to read-up on going nuclear - otherwise, just leave it stuck on 384.13

Does the AC86U still have that GUI mode which you can access by holding the reset button for 30 seconds?

Thanks for your input, but it didn‘t work.

Tried a h/w reset with the WPS button - same behaviour after setting up.

Tried the firmware recovery mode wirelessly, but kept getting Invalid IP address. I have had success doing wired recoveries in the past, but not this time.

Guess I have to read-up on going nuclear - otherwise, just leave it stuck on 384.13
Strange. Check the sha256sum.sha256. Try to download the FW again.

Alternative procedure:
- Reset FW;
- disable JFFS;
- intall FW 384.13 stable;
- upgrade new FW beta 1;
- reset FW beta 1 installed;

- upgrade new FW beta 2;
- reset FW beta 2 installed;
- upgrade new FW beta 3;
- reset FW beta 3 installed;

@princi, if you are using a RT-AC86U, after a full reset the IP address to log into will be 192.168.50.1

Code:
opkg install coreutils-sha256sum
Code:
curl -L -O  https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/Beta/RT-AC86U_384.14_beta
3.zip > /mnt/sda1/RT-AC86U_384.14_beta3.zip && unzip RT-AC86U_384.14_beta3.zip
Code:
sha256sum RT-AC86U_384.14_beta3_cferom_ubi.w

In my experience, 50.1 is only for the AX88U

I have no problem logging in to the AC86U after a full reset - at 192.168.1.1

Then you did not do a full reset to factory defaults.

You may want to look at the link in my signature below for further details. :)

Then you did not do a full reset to factory defaults.

You may want to look at the link in my signature below for further details. :)
L&LD, i haven't done a nuclear reset yet on my RT-AC86U router, however, I have done a full reset from the GUI which does reset my IP address back to 50.1. After setting up my router back up...by this time, normally all my devices have been assigned an automatic IP address. My question is, when I'm trying to restore my dhcps (static IPs) using Xtrenk's guide. Although the dhcp staticip addresses do populate, they never get assigned the static ip's that I want even after rebooting the router. Is there a way to force the static ips to be assigned again?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!