What's new

AC88U 2.4ghz issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Have not tried..making a trio to best buy for a gift for wife and figured I'd sneak a router in. Just not sure if I alwanna try 88u again.

Consider the RT-AC86U.

OE

No one local has it. Uhh..

Micro Center is again offering a bundle price on two 86Us and is accepting web orders (make sure they don't overcharge your local sales tax), if you've got cash to burn and want to play with AiMesh or know someone who needs a decent new router.

OE

Last edited:
Micro Center is again offering a bundle price on two 86Us and is accepting web orders (make sure they don't overcharge your local sales tax), if you've got cash to burn and want to play with AiMesh or know someone who needs a decent new router.

OE
I played with mesh between my two asus routers.. was so so for me

Just looked on my asus account and see I bought this router 1/18/18 . Think I read 2 year warranty on it. . So imagine try rma

Ok. So something is definitely wired here. So I called Asus and did all they recommend and was still not working 2.4ghz on the account.. Rma done and this morn I boxed it up to ship. Remember 5ghz worked fine.

Take the old rt-ac3100 out the box and set it up. Everything working fine so I add merlin software. Everything is fine again.

4 hrs later now I'm in same bout with authentification errors on both channels. Says incorrect password. Really need help. Can't have no internet. Gonna try a reboot ..

Local shops have no Asus products that I would consider. Like 86u or even ax88u. But they do have the Netgear ax6 that looks like a star wars ship.

Need help.

Last edited:
Ok. So something is definitely wired here. So I called Asus and did all they recommend and was still not working 2.4ghz on the account.. Rma done and this morn I boxed it up to ship. Remember 5ghz worked fine.

Take the old rt-ac3100 out the box and set it up. Everything working fine so I add merlin software. Everything is fine again.

4 hrs later now I'm in same bout with authentification errors on both channels. Says incorrect password. Really need help. Can't have no internet. Gonna try a reboot ..

Local shops have no Asus products that I would consider. Like 86u or even ax88u. But they do have the Netgear ax6 that looks like a star wars ship.

Need help.

So, did you ever try unplugging the Fire TV device?

OE

Yes. AS Im typing this there are no fire devices plugged in and ive had 3 disconnects in last 20-30 mins. I remember this router giving me issue back in the day and this is why i grabbed the 88U. But do not remember the issues being this bad.. Im really bout to buy a el-cheapo netgear R8000 from walmart and test. at least till i get my 88u back. If i dont have the issue then i think ill be ok.

Unless im just missing a setting some where ..

Yes. AS Im typing this there are no fire devices plugged in and ive had 3 disconnects in last 20-30 mins. I remember this router giving me issue back in the day and this is why i grabbed the 88U. But do not remember the issues being this bad.. Im really bout to buy a el-cheapo netgear R8000 from walmart and test. at least till i get my 88u back. If i dont have the issue then i think ill be ok.

Unless im just missing a setting some where ..

Consumer AIO routers do not require much to setup... the default settings should work with most wireless clients: ON, SSID, auto..., WPA2 Personal, AES, and WPA Pre-Shared Key (password).

OE

Consumer AIO routers do not require much to setup... the default settings should work with most wireless clients: ON, SSID, auto..., WPA2 Personal, AES, and WPA Pre-Shared Key (password).

OE
Was just working fine since last post. Only been using PC with 5ghz network. Well it stop again. So open laptop that's hard wired and noticed that it taking about 7 mins to load the router address . Once loaded going through software is almost impossible. Really slow if loads at all. Almost as if the router it over working. Trying to check temp . Guess I'll order a 86u and test that. Says should have on sat.

Full reboot and wipe. Lets see how long it last. Im finding hard to believe that its something on my end. But who know. As of now im only gonna have one pc and my phone connected to see if it fails. No other devices are even aware of the new SSID.

Was just working fine since last post. Only been using PC with 5ghz network. Well it stop again. So open laptop that's hard wired and noticed that it taking about 7 mins to load the router address . Once loaded going through software is almost impossible. Really slow if loads at all. Almost as if the router it over working. Trying to check temp . Guess I'll order a 86u and test that. Says should have on sat.

Deal on 86U: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-ac2900-155.53976/

OE

Well issues came back.. gonna suck next couple days. All ready fighting themostat. Man u don't realize how much u use wifi enable devices till u can't.

Well issues came back.. gonna suck next couple days. All ready fighting themostat. Man u don't realize how much u use wifi enable devices till u can't.
We lost ours to power failure/surge damage a few weeks ago. It really does suck! Although we did talk alot, that was good.

Woke up to no 2.4 broadcast. Reboot fixed . I need a app to reboot router randomly.. lol .. and as I type 2.4 dead again.. back to 5ghz to finish this post.

Only bad I see on 86u is not wall mount able. Or did I miss something in manual

Only bad I see on 86u is not wall mount able. Or did I miss something in manual

The 86U form factor is intended to be free-standing. And it doesn't hurt to leave some free space around the antennas, imo.

OE

New router installed.(86u) Lets see how this goes.
My connection is 1 Gbps down and 1 Gbps up fiber with local company (eatel)

Main Pc (neat gear nighthawk AC1900 USB 3 wifi adapter)
5 Ghz=Connected at 1.1 Gbps . Speed test 695 down/ 450 up
2.4ghz = connected at 288Mbps. Speed test 95 down / 117 up
Pc is at least 30ft and 3 walls away.

Thanks Ozark the real test will be the 2.4 and all when i connect all devices .
2 fire tvs -5ghz
1 samsung tv- 2.4ghz
1 vizio tv- 2.4ghz
1 brother printer-2.4ghz
1 main pc -5ghz
2 laptops-5ghz
1 onkyo receiver-2.4ghz
2 samsung phones(note 8 and S8+)-5ghz
1 nest thermo stat -2.4ghz

Ozark this should not be to much crowding on the 5Ghz?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!