What's new

AC88U 2.4ghz issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

New router installed.(86u) Lets see how this goes.
My connection is 1 Gbps down and 1 Gbps up fiber with local company (eatel)

Main Pc (neat gear nighthawk AC1900 USB 3 wifi adapter)
5 Ghz=Connected at 1.1 Gbps . Speed test 695 down/ 450 up
2.4ghz = connected at 288Mbps. Speed test 95 down / 117 up
Pc is at least 30ft and 3 walls away.

Thanks Ozark the real test will be the 2.4 and all when i connect all devices .
2 fire tvs -5ghz
1 samsung tv- 2.4ghz
1 vizio tv- 2.4ghz
1 brother printer-2.4ghz
1 main pc -5ghz
2 laptops-5ghz
1 onkyo receiver-2.4ghz
2 samsung phones(note 8 and S8+)-5ghz
1 nest thermo stat -2.4ghz

Ozark this should not be to much crowding on the 5Ghz?

I don't think so. Let 'er rip, but one step at a time so you can observe network performance after each change. Pile too much on at once and you will not know where to look, if you have to troubleshoot an issue.

With regards to WiFi capacity, one of the relevant articles in my notes may explain things a bit. The band/protocol/distance/signal power/interference/adapters/firmware/etc. all affect WiFi transmission and throughput. Learn about these a little to better understand cause and affect.

I use stock f/w to keep it simple. You can always try Merlin later, if you have a reason to. Merlin does not support AiMesh.

OE

Oh WoW, what a story ... you have the patience of a Saint. Asus should canonize you!

I'm waiting for the exciting conclusion, here's hoping for a "Christmas Miracle" : -)

I don't think so. Let 'er rip, but one step at a time so you can observe network performance after each change. Pile too much on at once and you will not know where to look, if you have to troubleshoot an issue.

With regards to WiFi capacity, one of the relevant articles in my notes may explain things a bit. The band/protocol/distance/signal power/interference/adapters/firmware/etc. all affect WiFi transmission and throughput. Learn about these a little to better understand cause and affect.

I use stock f/w to keep it simple. You can always try Merlin later, if you have a reason to. Merlin does not support AiMesh.

OE
Yes as of now I only have one fire TV connected to see if problems start . And of course main PC and phones. Later today I'll use the fire tv closest to router and see if problems start.

Later this week I'll be moving router to center of house.(hallway) This will put each device at note more than 20 feet away and only the main PC in computer room will have a full way in way. The other fire tv devices will have line of site. As long as I leave doors open. I think doing this will avoid me needed another router for mesh until my shop is built. Then I'll run cat6 to another 86u for mesh to cover out side and shop.

Yes as of now I only have one fire TV connected to see if problems start . And of course main PC and phones. Later today I'll use the fire tv closest to router and see if problems start.

Later this week I'll be moving router to center of house.(hallway) This will put each device at note more than 20 feet away and only the main PC in computer room will have a full way in way. The other fire tv devices will have line of site. As long as I leave doors open. I think doing this will avoid me needed another router for mesh until my shop is built. Then I'll run cat6 to another 86u for mesh to cover out side and shop.

Sounds like a plan! My 2x68U AiMesh with wireless backhaul was barely reaching my garage node through lots of brick. I upgraded to 2x86U AiMesh and that solved it. The 86U WiFi seemed about 20% stronger, just like it says on the box.

OE

Oh WoW, what a story ... you have the patience of a Saint.

Persistence is the only way to troubleshoot technology issues... and knowing when to punt and go in another direction.

OE

Oh WoW, what a story ... you have the patience of a Saint. Asus should canonize you!

I'm waiting for the exciting conclusion, here's hoping for a "Christmas Miracle" : -)
Thanks and happy holidays to you and your family too. I'd hate to give up on asus and thankfully I have had days off to try and manage this. If not I would have been highly un patient..

Well guess I should be happy. Sent it out Dec 28th got a *BRAND NEW* still sealed on back. Not so back. Pretty good experience with them. Have yet to test as I'm stuck working 16hr days but once I'm free I'm gonna use OzarkEdge method and try air mesh again.

Is there a certain version to look out for?

Thanks ..

Asus A++

Well guess I should be happy. Sent it out Dec 28th got a *BRAND NEW* still sealed on back. Not so back. Pretty good experience with them. Have yet to test as I'm stuck working 16hr days but once I'm free I'm gonna use OzarkEdge method and try air mesh again.

Is there a certain version to look out for?

Thanks ..

Asus A++

Use the current firmware but leave the Trend Micro stuff OFF for now until they fix its crashing.

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!