What's new

AC88U - Recovery mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Reign in Beard

New Around Here
Hello, I recently purchased a new 88U and foolishly updated the firmware to build 398. I can't get IPv6 working on it at all, despite inputting the correct setting from my ISP.
I would like to install Merlin firmware and understand as its an earlier build I need to get the 88u int0 recovery mode. I have tried all the steps I can find and I can't get it into recovery mode at all. Ive tried holding down wps button. Ive tried 30-30-30 method and what ASUS told me to hold the reset button whilst off and turn on and release when power led blinks slowly. No matter what I do I can't get the led to blink slowly. I can get it to factory reset using the reset button but thats it. Any ideas?

Hello, I recently purchased a new 88U and foolishly updated the firmware to build 398. I can't get IPv6 working on it at all, despite inputting the correct setting from my ISP.
I would like to install Merlin firmware and understand as its an earlier build I need to get the 88u int0 recovery mode. I have tried all the steps I can find and I can't get it into recovery mode at all. Ive tried holding down wps button. Ive tried 30-30-30 method and what ASUS told me to hold the reset button whilst off and turn on and release when power led blinks slowly. No matter what I do I can't get the led to blink slowly. I can get it to factory reset using the reset button but thats it. Any ideas?
30-30-30 does not work on ASUS. You need to enter in rescue mode to be able to use the ASUS firmware restoration utility. Step by step instructions are here:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
Just follow closely follow the instructions above. The FAQ is for AC66 but the process is identical for AC88. The process involve using a combination of power and reset button... no WPS or the like.

30-30-30 does not work on ASUS. You need to enter in rescue mode to be able to use the ASUS firmware restoration utility. Step by step instructions are here:
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000814/
Just follow closely follow the instructions above. The FAQ is for AC66 but the process is identical for AC88. The process involve using a combination of power and reset button... no WPS or the like.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve tried that countless times and no matter how long I hold the reset button I can’t get it in to recovery mode. The power led doesn’t light at all. I can return it to factory settings just don’t seem to be able to get it into recovery mode

I had a similar situation. I ended up boxing it up for a return. I let it sit for two days in the box. Before going to the post office, I plugged it in and it worked. It has been almost two months now with no issues.

I have an AC88U as well and it "farted" and sputtered the other day. I noticed the No. 2 CPU was always 100% for reasons I am usure. So, I tried the reset using the GUI, this did not work, I held the reset button; nothing happened.

I then unplugged the router, stared at it for 10 minutes, groped it a bit, shook it a little, then plugged it back in, again tried reset button on the back of the router and it started up BUT nothing was reset and the router worked fine at this point. FYI, I am using merlin 380.66_4. I suspect that unplugging it for some time may help as I have read this a few times on this forum from other AC88u folks.

So, now I am thinking that I should update the firmware to current Merlin but when I did that a month or so back, the asus GUI became unstable and continually freezing, couldn't get it smoothed out so I reverted to 380.66_4 and it's okay at this point...for now...I hope.

Hope this helps.

bUk

I too have seen some very strange behavior from the 88u that only unplugging from power and allowing it to completely drain its circuits seems to resolve.
I had the same issue on Comcast with the firmware versions lower than 7627, however, all Merlin versions have been able to obtain an IPv6 address for me without issue.

I had the same issue on Comcast with the firmware versions lower than 7627, however, all Merlin versions have been able to obtain an IPv6 address for me without issue.

All Merlin builds have not changed anything at all with IPv6. Not sure why his would differ from stock.

All Merlin builds have not changed anything at all with IPv6. Not sure why his would differ from stock.
Whatever was wrong in the stock firmware was fixed by Asus. I sent tech support lots of syslogs as the problem persisted and after several months they finally got it right so there must have been a conflict somewhere in their code as Merlin told me he didn't change anything yet his worked and theirs didn't.

I confirm that i had a similar issue with my RT-AC88U bought one week ago. AFter some parametrization, i had poor performance, mainly for IPTV, and also unable to get access to management console from LAN, even by connecting directly to a LAN port on the AC88U.
The power light was not on, other 4 lights were on.
I tried reset button, nothing happened, i tried to reset from management console but access was so painfull that i didn't succeed.
Finally i unplug all RJ cables, mainly WAN and LAN, keeping only one cable to my laptop, and i succeed to get access to mabagement console, and then reseting it.
Now i did again the parametrization quietly, and it works fine.
Strange......

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!