What's new

AC88U thermal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thermaltake

Regular Contributor
I have high quality thermal paste with 12 w/MK, can I replace thermal pads with paste would it be any gap between heatspreader and chip if anyone already did that before ? Or strictly pads should be inside (1mm assume) ?

Last edited:
I have high quality thermal paste...

You really want to do something with this router, do you?
Get a right size laptop cooling pad, place the router on top of it, enjoy lower operating temperatures.

You really want to do something with this router, do you?
Get a right size laptop cooling pad, place the router on top of it, enjoy lower operating temperatures.

I know that, but cooling pads are noisy and cooler will push even more dust inside the router so that's no good to me.

Still waiting on someone who changed thermal pads or put past on it to tell me how was it after and before, and if were any gap between IHS and CPU.

Still waiting on someone who changed thermal pads

The router has 3 heat sinks inside, one on top of the CPU, one on on top of the Radio circuits and one at the back cooling Amplifiers through the PCB. CPU and Radio circuits are covered with metal caps, a bit hard to remove. The heat from ICs is transferred to the metal caps first, then from the metal caps to the heat sinks. There are about 10 thermal transfer pads inside, all covering different gaps between ICs, metal caps and the heat sinks. In other words, in order to replace all the heat transfer pads with something better, you'll need to find the right thickness copper shims for all the heat transfer places. Still want to try?

Laptop cooling pad is a much simpler, faster and effective solution for RT-AC(X)88U routers without voiding the warranty on the device. You just need to blow the dust out from time to time with compressed air can. On my RT-AC86U I have installed 2 x 70mm 12V ball-bearing fans running on 5V off router's own USB 2.0 port. CPU temperature never goes higher than 55C, compared to reaching 96C without active cooling. There is no noticeable noise whatsoever.

The router has 3 heat sinks inside, one on top of the CPU, one on on top of the Radio circuits and one at the back cooling Amplifiers through the PCB. CPU and Radio circuits are covered with metal caps, a bit hard to remove. The heat from ICs is transferred to the metal caps first, then from the metal caps to the heat sinks. There are about 10 thermal transfer pads inside, all covering different gaps between ICs, metal caps and the heat sinks. In other words, in order to replace all the heat transfer pads with something better, you'll need to find the right thickness copper shims for all the heat transfer places. Still want to try?

Laptop cooling pad is a much simpler, faster and effective solution for RT-AC(X)88U routers without voiding the warranty on the device. You just need to blow the dust out from time to time with compressed air can. On my RT-AC86U I have installed 2 x 70mm 12V ball-bearing fans running on 5V off router's own USB 2.0 port. CPU temperature never goes higher than 55C, compared to reaching 96C without active cooling. There is no noticeable noise whatsoever.

I have 0,5mm coppers shim and 1mm copper shim so that won't be a problem. I also have 0.3, 0,5, 1, 2 and 3mm pads so that also won't be a problem. Router don't have warranty anymore. In few days I will open it up I saw on youtube guy opening AC88U it's not a big deal if you dont have warranty anymore of course. Those metal caps are same like on some expensive laptops same thing. I do not suggest compress air for any electronics even if it's disconnected and turned off, because they all have moisture inside of them, some less some more and it can easily damaged circuite if any of it is left somewhere on board, I would rather open it and clean it with brush.

Last edited:
because they all have moisture inside of them

Something that heats up to a higher temperature than the surrounding air does not retain moisture.
Compressed air can used from a distance to prevent rapid cooling from air expansion has no effect on electronics.

Something that heats up to a higher temperature than the surrounding air does not retain moisture.
Compressed air can used from a distance to prevent rapid cooling from air expansion has no effect on electronics.

Still, I rather use brush.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!